Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Buying a cheap Omega ? Does it make sense.  (Read 4469 times)

Hudson

• View Profile
Buying a cheap Omega ? Does it make sense.
« on: 01 January 2016, 22:13:01 »

I have seen some Omegas for sale at £300 !! Most have a decent mot and look sort of ok ? Can these be run for a year and if they would cost too much to pass the next mot just get £200 scrap and get another  ??? Has anybody done this and simply run them until they drop then scrap them.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
Re: Buying a cheap Omega ? Does it make sense.
« Reply #1 on: 01 January 2016, 22:15:01 »

All I'll say is (and I don't know where you are, so apologies if outside the UK);

You'd be lucky to not have to PAY to scrap a car nowadays.  ShiteSteel is at about £15 a tonne.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

05omegav6

« Reply #2 on: 01 January 2016, 22:22:16 »

All I'll say is (and I don't know where you are, so apologies if outside the UK);

You'd be lucky to not have to PAY to scrap a car nowadays.  ShiteSteel is at about £15 a tonne.
Neither of my nearest places pay, but will collect for free...

05omegav6

« Reply #3 on: 01 January 2016, 22:29:20 »

I have seen some Omegas for sale at £300 !! Most have a decent mot and look sort of ok ? Can these be run for a year and if they would cost too much to pass the next mot just get £200 scrap and get another  ??? Has anybody done this and simply run them until they drop then scrap them.
Buy one you like the look of and spend the Mot sorting all the bits and you should have a good basis for a keeper ;)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 January 2016, 23:53:13 »

As per your other thread, you need to do similar work no matter what the initial outlay you spend. I paid a 3 figure sum for my 3.2 Elite, that was 4 years ago  :y

Look for examples with good body work, as everything else is easily fixable.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 January 2016, 08:37:38 »

So long as you are able and content to maintain and repair them yourself I reckon it makes excellent sense. I run six Omegas for my family, and we all enjoy luxury motoring at small cost. Access to cheap spares, trade club supplies, and secondhand bits are important, and excellent advice and camaraderie from this forum are paramount.

I play table tennis with four other old scientists at Culham laboratory every Friday and they all envy me. They pay £400 plus for a service and pay vast sums for repairs. They suffer breakdowns and are without transport not infrequently. They pay £1000 plus to have trivial dents knocked out. They worry about their cars being stolen - it never worries me!

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 January 2016, 10:03:05 »

They are cheap for a very simple reason: they have common faults that will, or already do need money spent on them. If you cannot do mechanical work, then these jobs are extremely expensive. If you can do repairs and have the tools to do them, then a well chosen car is viable. One that needs an exhaust system would be a good choice; DIY fitting of the systems recommended here will make big saving. Any Omega that hasn't had front suspension work recently would be a poor choice for a beater, because you are looking at much more than the purchase price just in parts. Unfortunately, even the expensive Omegas fall into that category.

The price of scrap has dropped through the floor, and you would be lucky to get £30 if you weighed in the car yourself.

Unless you need a big car, there are better choices for a beater. Spend your £300 on a scruffy petrol Astra or Focus.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 January 2016, 10:32:35 »

Omegas are cheap because people are scared that they can be expensive to repair and run. If you are aware of the common fails (inner edge wear on front tyres for example) and if you do your own maintenance (or use one of the excellent travelling mechanics) then they are cheap way to run an executive class car.

If you want seriously cheap motoring then get something with 4 cylinders and front wheel drive (and don't be too fussy about the colour .............)
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 January 2016, 11:25:11 »

As others have said, if you are prepared to do DIY servicing an repairs, they can be reliable, cheap motoring. If you rely on garages, the Omega may not be your next car.

I bought my first for a whisper over £3k. I didn't care about running costs, as it was bought as a luxury milecruncher for a trip to the South of France, and was intended to be sold as soon as we returned. That was 12yrs and 140k miles ago, and we still have it.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 January 2016, 11:26:11 »

£3k back in 2003 for a 5yr old MV6 was definitely "bargain basement" territory back then.
Grumpy old man

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 January 2016, 11:59:22 »

I bought my first for a whisper over £3k. I didn't care about running costs, as it was bought as a luxury milecruncher for a trip to the South of France, and was intended to be sold as soon as we returned. That was 12yrs and 140k miles ago, and we still have it.

I've done that, but it was a Capri that cost £25 for the fuel that was in it. Fitted a £75 Cortina engine the weekend before we left and did 2000 miles in a fortnight. I scrapped it 5 years later with another 130,000 miles and at least 200 1/4mile passes on it. I still think it was a good buy. But that was a simple car, and complex modern cars are much less suitable for this sort of use/abuse.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 January 2016, 12:23:48 »

That's funny, as that's exactly how I bought my Omega and like you I fully intended to sell it on when I got home.  ::)  10 years on I still have it!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 January 2016, 12:27:25 »

I paid £175 for a 2.5 manual saloon a few months back , fixed the smoking cam cover gaskets and sold it for £400  ;D Once you know what the common problems are they are easily fixed . Could have kept the manual and ran it but it had too many pedals  :D
Omegatitis

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 January 2016, 14:24:54 »

Mine cost me less than 300, flew through the MOT. Since then it's had an oil change, it's due to the next one. I've only just had to spend some money on it, front brake pads and a pair of tyres. Both of which are wear and tear items.

However I will add, I feel mine is losing GB oil and I need to get it on ASAP. I've even bought a runaround so I can take my time. Granted this wasn't the only reason to buy the runaround.

For me, I call that amazingly cheap motoring. If I have to scrap it tomorrow, then I won't have lost on it. My mate said, 'You paid less for a car than my monthly instalment on my new car'.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

Hudson

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 January 2016, 17:15:47 »

Cheers guys, i was looking at the one below and thought it was cheap for what it appears to be -

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201512319740839?search-target=usedcars&make=vauxhall&model=omega&quicksearch=true&page=1&radius=1500&sort=default&onesearchad=used&postcode=m34hh&logcode=p

Not much service history and some bits of poor bodywork.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.