Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: V6 Cambelt change procedure  (Read 3115 times)

BigCat

• Battersea
    • View Profile
V6 Cambelt change procedure
« on: 19 January 2007, 14:27:22 »

Does anyone know where to find a V6 cambelt change procedure? I've tried searching this forum, to no avail. I found a Timing Cover Removal procedure over on the other side posted MarkDTM, but the link to the Cambelt procedure doesn't work (http://82.34.51.160/sytemsandsoftwar.../V6CamBelt.htm).

I've ordered the parts and locking kit from the very helpful chap at Vauxspares Autovaux. Planning to change it over in one very easy, no hitches operation next Tuesday in my colleague's garage ;D He's pretty well kitted out with tools, but not sure if he has the correct Torx socket - anyone know the size(s) involved?

Thanks in advance.

« Last Edit: 19 January 2007, 16:17:34 by BigCat »
The first 90% of a job takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: V6 Cambelt change procedure
« Reply #1 on: 19 January 2007, 14:34:46 »

Does anyone know where to find a V6 cambelt change procedure? I've tried searching this forum, to no avail. I found a Timing Cover Removal procedure over on the other side posted MarkDTM, but the link to the Cambelt procedure doesn't work (http://82.34.51.160/sytemsandsoftwar.../V6CamBelt.htm).

I've ordered the parts and locking kit from the very helpful chap at Vauxspares, planning to change it over in one very easy, no hitches operation next Tuesday in my colleague's garage ;D He's pretty well kitted out with tools, but not sure if he has the correct Torx socket - anyone know the size(s) involved?

Thanks in advance.

Get in touch with user 'Robin Hood' and get the cambelt DVD for £3 ;)
Grumpy old man

iggy21uk

• Omega Knight
  • Berkhamsted - Herts
  • Omega Spotter -  tats gone tanning
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 January 2007, 14:45:20 »

You will also need to get hold of the locking kit, so nothing moves out of place
while the belt is off.

ooops!  just read you post again - I see your getting one -- good
« Last Edit: 19 January 2007, 14:46:40 by iggy21uk »
[size=10]Opelscanner Can owner / Cam lock kit owner [/size] [/i][/b]

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 January 2007, 21:29:48 »

PM me your email address and I can send you a PDF or two.

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 January 2007, 21:40:17 »

Honestly, the DVD for £3 is the best investment you can make when preparing to do the cambelt change.

It shows a task that many garages won't touch, to be really quite straightforward. :)
The DVD shows the entire process from start to finish.
The Administrator.

BigCat

• Battersea
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 January 2007, 22:01:03 »

Thanks for the advice, I've ordered the DVD which will be in the post first thing tomorrow. I can pick up a Torx socket set on Monday, but just trying to find a reasonably priced 30mm ring spanner by Tuesday.

The first 90% of a job takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 January 2007, 22:19:22 »

Thanks for the advice, I've ordered the DVD which will be in the post first thing tomorrow. I can pick up a Torx socket set on Monday, but just trying to find a reasonably priced 30mm ring spanner by Tuesday.

I think mine is Draper, so available from many tool places. The ring is offset from handle on it...
Grumpy old man

BigCat

• Battersea
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 January 2007, 16:24:44 »

I changed my cambelt yesterday, using Robin Hood's excellent DVD as a guide, and a Cam Locking kit rented from Vauxspares. All went well, although it took me over 5 hours in total, including: a few minor interuptions, having to pop out and source a replacement aux belt, and trying to figure out how to remove the rear vacuum hoses off the intake plenum.

One thing missing from the DVD is how to remove the intake plenum, I know it sounds straight forward, but I wasn't familiar with the stainless steel clips on the rear vacuum hoses. Not wanting to break the plastic tubes, I experimented with a few different methods until I finally worked out how to twist it apart (sideways) I wonder if there's a tool for this type of clip.

One difference between the earlier engine in the DVD and my late model engine, is that there is only one cam timing adjuster - between the two banks. The second idler - below the right-hand bank, is not adjustable on mine. In practice this wasn't an issue, as the right-hand bank came up on the mark (I'm not sure why the engineers felt the right hand bank adjustment wasn't necessary), although I did have to use the full travel on the middle adjuster to accurately set the left-hand bank.

Which leads me onto a point much debated here, and on the other forum. For those who haven't yet done it, the kit isn't just a cam locking kit, but is also used to time, or degree in, the camshafts to the crank (it really ought to be called a Locking and Timing kit) - as our host on the DVD mentions, one of the only production engines to require this. Beware of anyone who says you don't need the locking (and timing kit), knowing how important camshaft timings are, you could seriously degrade the performance of your engine just using a hit and miss approach.

One other thing I think may have been overlooked in the DVD is the tensioner locking nut torque - I guessed it at 20NM. Can anyone verify this?

I took the oportunity to degum the throttle body using a can of carburettor cleaner, refastened the intake stainless clips with a pair of sidecutters, finished it all off, and it fired up first time (phew!)

It all runs fine, and seems to idle smoother (probably all the gunk I removed from the throttle body), but I was surprised to hear a little rattle when the engine accelerated slightly (just off idle) particularly as it sounds as though it's coming from somewhere around the tensioner area. I immediately started to wonder if I'd left something loose, unlikely though as one of the reasons it took me so long was that I'd double checked every step along the way; every bolt tension, tensioner adjustment, cam timing etc.

It seems to me that the noise is so slight that it may have been there earlier and I just hadn't noticed, or that the tensioner is slightly noisy when new. Has anyone else who's done this job heard this noise?

This rattling sound aside, I'm very pleased with the job, and recommend it to anyone with a reasonable working knowledge of cars.

Get the DVD, get the locking/timing Kit, and buy a full cambelt replacement kit.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 January 2007, 17:48:52 »

Modified as I was talking rubbish again  :-[
« Last Edit: 24 January 2007, 20:50:53 by TheBoy »
Grumpy old man

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 January 2007, 18:06:40 »

mine sounded almost tapetty when first started after changing the timing belt, tensioners and water pump - which was a bit worrying, but the noise went away pretty quickly and I've done about 6k since ... no problems  :y
« Last Edit: 24 January 2007, 18:07:21 by sounds2k »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 January 2007, 19:55:51 »

Bottom right idler is for adjusting the timing of cams 3-4 in relation to the crank (note, on later 2.6/3.2 this is not adjustable) the upper idler adjusts the timing of cams 1-2 to 3-4. The tensioner then simply sets the tension...

The DVD does not describe hoe to disconnect the breathers because, for changing the cambelt, you dont need to, you simply need to be able to raise the plenum enough to get the timing cover off (droop front plenums only)

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 January 2007, 20:16:56 »

Yep tensioner locking nut is 20Nm the other idlers are 40Nm.

BigCat

• Battersea
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 January 2007, 15:18:35 »

By the way chaps, just wanted to say thanks to everyone on the forum for your help and advice. Apart from the money I've saved, I feel a real sense of satisfaction from doing all this work on my car.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 January 2007, 16:56:44 »

Only to glad to help....

There is a nice satisfaction about

a) Knowing you did a good job

b) Savinga wedge!

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 18 queries.