Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange noise  (Read 4019 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Strange noise
« Reply #15 on: 15 April 2007, 21:45:55 »

Well unfortunately the removal of the aux belt did not reveal the cause of the problem, so I stripped it down as far as the cambelt. As far as it goes I'm very pleased with my efforts, but the credit has to go to those of you who made the dvd.
Anyway, I do not see anything untoward around the belt, other than there is some slack in it. Surely there should not be any slack?
Err, no. Should be fairly tight, not slack....
Grumpy old man

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #16 on: 15 April 2007, 21:52:39 »

fairly taught at all points otherwse the slackness could cause it to slip over a tooth.... :-/
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15 April 2007, 21:54:01 »

The belt is tensioned by a sprung tensioner. It shouldn't be loose but neigher will it be as tight as some cars which have fixed tensioners. It's the condition of the pullies that would be more interesting given the symptoms. Do any of them show signs of grease leakage?

It's really only possible to assess their condition with the belt off but they should have very little if any play and should feel smooth when spun by hand. These are supposed to be packed with grease so if they spin very easily or are rattly it's likely that the grease has dried up.

TBH, as you've got to take it all apart to check these you may as well fit a new belt and rollers, especially if the history is unknown or the current set has been on there for a reasonable mileage.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 April 2007, 22:10:58 »

Bad light has stopped play, so to speak, so further investigations in the morning.
There is about 1 1/2 - 2 inches slack which is showing at the minute along the right hand side, so much so that the belt can touch the edge of the timing cover - not good! My initial thought would have been that the tensioner has gone, but don't know how to test it. having said that it is my intention now to fit a new cambelt kit, but I was worried that there was something else wrong. Same old story, don't want to go through all this and get it rebuilt only to find the problem is still there.
I did notice an odd thing though, and think it was on the tensioner iirc. It looked like a weld but was a funny colour. Although it seemed hard to the touch I'm wondering about grease leakage as Kevin has suggested. I'll examine the pulleys better in the morning.
I'll order the kit and new aux belt tomorrow. Whilst it is stripped I'm going to do the rocker gaskets and check the lifters and will need new camshaft oil seals too.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15 April 2007, 22:16:56 »

Bad light has stopped play, so to speak, so further investigations in the morning.
There is about 1 1/2 - 2 inches slack which is showing at the minute along the right hand side, so much so that the belt can touch the edge of the timing cover - not good! My initial thought would have been that the tensioner has gone, but don't know how to test it. having said that it is my intention now to fit a new cambelt kit, but I was worried that there was something else wrong. Same old story, don't want to go through all this and get it rebuilt only to find the problem is still there.
I did notice an odd thing though, and think it was on the tensioner iirc. It looked like a weld but was a funny colour. Although it seemed hard to the touch I'm wondering about grease leakage as Kevin has suggested. I'll examine the pulleys better in the morning.
I'll order the kit and new aux belt tomorrow. Whilst it is stripped I'm going to do the rocker gaskets and check the lifters and will need new camshaft oil seals too.
Sounds like tensioner or pulley has failed. Put a new kit on.  You do need a v6 camlock/timing kit, it cannot be done properly without.
Grumpy old man

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15 April 2007, 22:25:41 »

Yes indeed, I'll have to make a few enquiries for the loan of one.

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15 April 2007, 22:32:26 »

theres far too much slack in that..lets hope you have got to it in time  :y

Pics would be good - im wierd that way  ;D
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 15 April 2007, 22:34:14 »

theres far too much slack in that..lets hope you have got to it in time  :y

Pics would be good - im wierd that way  ;D

I hope so too  :o
It was too dark for pics but I'll put some on in the morning  :y

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 16 April 2007, 09:19:39 »

Took some pics this morning -

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k295/jonny2112/TBA16-1.jpg

shows the slack in the belt. Hard to illustrate, but the belt can touch the cover fixing point.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k295/jonny2112/TBA16.jpg

shows the tensioner and possible grease leakage?

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 16 April 2007, 09:28:06 »

Took some pics this morning -

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k295/jonny2112/TBA16-1.jpg

shows the slack in the belt. Hard to illustrate, but the belt can touch the cover fixing point.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k295/jonny2112/TBA16.jpg

shows the tensioner and possible grease leakage?

guess your changing it anyway now - still think theres too much play  :-/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 16 April 2007, 09:35:19 »

Is that goo around the tensioner grease....or melted plastic....either way its shot!

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 16 April 2007, 09:41:05 »

Is that goo around the tensioner grease....or melted plastic....either way its shot!

Feels hard to the touch, rather than soft like goo, but it's bu@@ered!  ;D

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 16 April 2007, 09:43:56 »

I'm going to remove the cams on the drivers side to have a look at the lifters. Before I start that, has anyone any advice re their removal and refitting? I'm particularly worried about refitting and then having to set the timing but guys here are changing cams all the time so it cant be that difficult can it?

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 16 April 2007, 10:55:12 »

Tensioner has failed.
Noise could have been the tensioner bearing or the belt hitting the cover.
Get a belt kit, fit it using the cambelt locking and timing kit then run the engine to check its OK because, with so much slack, there is a risk that the belt has jumped a tooth or two and changed the cam timing. A couple of teeth either way should be OK but any more will result in bent valves.

Why do you want to check the lifters?

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 16 April 2007, 11:06:54 »

I want to check the lifters due to the constant tapping noise, not really anything to do with this particular problem but as its now stripped down I may as well do anything else thats needed!

Is there any way at his stage to visually tell if the timing has been affected? I'm quite worried about not being able to set it correctly, though if I have the proper kit then I should be able to manage it I think.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.