Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange noise  (Read 4020 times)

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
Re: Strange noise
« Reply #30 on: 16 April 2007, 13:29:52 »

Socket on crankshaft centre bolt, rotate clockwise (only) until notch on cambelt sprocket lines up with a rib on casting at 6 oclock, timing marks on cam sprockets should now line-up with marks on backplate. (might have to rotate a further 360 deg).

Cams are numbered 1 to 4, left to right, sprockets have two marks each, use the mark which corresponds to the cam number.

This can be used for fault checking but is not accurate enough for fitting a belt, you need the locking and timing kit for this.

If you attempt to remove the belt then you must set the crank to 60 deg BTDC first or you will damage valves. ( 60 deg BTDC = notch at 4 o clock)

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 16 April 2007, 20:59:30 »

Socket on crankshaft centre bolt, rotate clockwise (only) until notch on cambelt sprocket lines up with a rib on casting at 6 oclock, timing marks on cam sprockets should now line-up with marks on backplate. (might have to rotate a further 360 deg).

Cams are numbered 1 to 4, left to right, sprockets have two marks each, use the mark which corresponds to the cam number.

This can be used for fault checking but is not accurate enough for fitting a belt, you need the locking and timing kit for this.

If you attempt to remove the belt then you must set the crank to 60 deg BTDC first or you will damage valves. ( 60 deg BTDC = notch at 4 o clock)

Thanks for that. Still at work though so no progress today :-[
Has crossed my mind too about checking the manifold gasket, in relation to the tapping, though I am fairly sure it is the lifters. Whilst the car is in bits may be a good idea to check. How difficult would it be to visually inspect it, and what am I looking for?
Cheers  :y

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 16 April 2007, 23:42:27 »

As well as all the goo, the tensioner looks completely untensioned (at its end stop) to me -or had you released it already)

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 18 April 2007, 09:55:26 »

I didn't initially notice the tensioner being off, but I hadn't touched it. I take it that it will be safe enough to turn the crank manually (when i get the E20 torx bit) with some slack in the belt?

The Barge Captain

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
  • Back in the land of the economicaly active
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 18 April 2007, 15:42:12 »

Don't forget that you will also need a 30 (?)mm offset crank spanner in order to tighten the tensioner pulleys.

If i have told you the wrong size i'm sure someone will be along soon to correct me.
Thou art no more an angel filled with light, but a leech to be abhorred and thou shalt suffer my burning will...

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 18 April 2007, 16:28:07 »

Don't forget that you will also need a 30 (?)mm offset crank spanner in order to tighten the tensioner pulleys.

If i have told you the wrong size i'm sure someone will be along soon to correct me.

No I think you're right! That's next on the shopping list, but seems a bit difficult to find.

I got the torx bit and have rotated the crank as required. It was both difficult and easy - harder to rotate at times but it was probably due to having to take up the slack.
All the timing notches seem to be in sync, and although I haven't aligned them exactly, both 1 and 2 seem to be equidistant from their respective notch, and likewise with 3 and 4. I'm really pleased about this because I am thinking that there may be no internal damage as the cam timing looks ok. Am I barking up the wrong tree??

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 18 April 2007, 16:58:34 »

If the marks are still in alignment I think it's likely that your engine has had a very lucky escape!

New belt and set of idlers and it should be sorted.

Edited to say it will be stiff turning the crank over at various positions because you're working against the compression stroke of one of the cylinders.

Kevin
« Last Edit: 18 April 2007, 16:59:41 by Kevin_Wood »
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 18 April 2007, 17:09:58 »

If the marks are still in alignment I think it's likely that your engine has had a very lucky escape!

New belt and set of idlers and it should be sorted.

Edited to say it will be stiff turning the crank over at various positions because you're working against the compression stroke of one of the cylinders.

Kevin

Yes I think I've ben really lucky! New stuff all ordered today though not sure of the length/part number for the aux belt.

Dave-C

• Omega Knight
  • Staffordshire
  • The Old Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 18 April 2007, 19:08:19 »

Just noticed this thread, haven't been able to get on here just lately....  " You Lucky Sod!" That's all I can say...   Luck of the Irish..

DC
Do it right, do it once................

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 18 April 2007, 21:04:32 »

;D ;D ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.