Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto Transmission Problem  (Read 4059 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Auto Transmission Problem
« Reply #15 on: 13 May 2007, 10:30:52 »

Hi if you go to Ebay and look for a OBD 2 code reader and car Diagnostic tool you can plug it in to your car, and you will get any fault codes and clear them if need be. I have just got one from ebay at a cost of £33.99 you will need one with a u480 code book, mine is a little orange one, (I mean my OBD2) but worth its weight in gold.
              I hope this will help you get it sorted and save money
                              Jason
                        The wheelchair kid :y                  
No, this will NOT work on a 1999 Omega.  Tech2 required, be it cheapo lead which needs laptop, or the real thing (probably real thing, as last time I tried cheapo lead, it wouldn't touch gearbox).
Grumpy old man

philayl

• Intermediate Member
  • Wirral, Merseyide
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 May 2007, 14:19:32 »

Hi Steve, you were right, I found two damaged wires behind the centre console. Have repaired them now and just trying to find a way to get the car to asautocare in Widnes to get it sorted, he has a Tech2, do not fancy towing it such a long distance , I am trying to find a reasonable recovery firm locally, not easy to do. It cost me £65 to get it taken home on a transporter, a distance of five miles!

Dave-C

• Omega Knight
  • Staffordshire
  • The Old Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 May 2007, 18:35:06 »

Hi Steve, you were right, I found two damaged wires behind the centre console. Have repaired them now and just trying to find a way to get the car to asautocare in Widnes to get it sorted, he has a Tech2, do not fancy towing it such a long distance , I am trying to find a reasonable recovery firm locally, not easy to do. It cost me £65 to get it taken home on a transporter, a distance of five miles!

Cheaper to ask him to come to you!!!!!!
Do it right, do it once................

philayl

• Intermediate Member
  • Wirral, Merseyide
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 May 2007, 20:49:01 »

Hi Dave, afraid he doesn't do home visits, but as far as I know he is the only independant Tech2 owner within 30 miles, and my thinking is that if the gearbox is knackered he will fit a second hand unit, whereas a Vaux dealer won't, plus the Vaux stealer wants £75 plus VAT per hour!

philayl

• Intermediate Member
  • Wirral, Merseyide
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15 May 2007, 17:57:08 »

Hi all, sad to report my gearbox is knackered  :'(, am now looking for a secondhand box, can anyone tell me if the box from a 2001 2.2 saloon will fit mine, it is an AR25 ZG, part number 96024204.

philayl

• Intermediate Member
  • Wirral, Merseyide
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15 May 2007, 20:46:50 »

Hi all, sad to report my gearbox is knackered  :'(, am now looking for a secondhand box, can anyone tell me if the box from a 2001 2.2 saloon will fit mine, it is an AR25 ZG, part number 96024204.

Anyone with an electronic parts catalogue look up the gearbox part number for me please, or tell me if this will fit!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15 May 2007, 21:06:17 »

Soz, don't know.  The 4 speed box fitted to your 2.2 will be AR25, but not sure if mechanical variations, or purely software (the software is defo different, but you won't be changing ecu).
Grumpy old man

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 16 May 2007, 07:59:42 »

Hi Dave, afraid he doesn't do home visits, but as far as I know he is the only independant Tech2 owner within 30 miles, and my thinking is that if the gearbox is knackered he will fit a second hand unit, whereas a Vaux dealer won't, plus the Vaux stealer wants £75 plus VAT per hour!

I know of 2 in Saltney, just outside Chester
Roadrunners and MW Performance
as for £75 an hour, Lookers in Chester charge that, Dickens of Wrexham (or Mold) charge 1/2 that!
I paid £35 I think for a gearbox ecu upgrade
No charge when the didn't do one on the wifes claiming it was up to date, so they seem a fair dealer to me.
« Last Edit: 16 May 2007, 08:01:44 by jimbob »

philayl

• Intermediate Member
  • Wirral, Merseyide
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 16 May 2007, 13:59:44 »

Hi TB, I am told the box will not fit, but I have managed to source one locally with 12 months warranty, out of a 28,000 miler, for a very reasonable price.

Hi Jimbob, Andy Stockton Autocare in Widnes is fitting the box for me, comes highly recommended. I look forward to getting the Omega back, due to commitments I have had to hire a car and it is costing me a fortune!

wheelchairkid

• Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 16 May 2007, 15:41:39 »

Hi, if you don`t mind me asking what price did you pay for the box? :-[ I am asking, because if I ever need a new box I don`t want to get ripped off :P.
          And dare I ask what is your hire car is? I hope it is not a Amica I had to use one as a loan car before, never again.
     Well done for not giving up on your Omega like too many people do out there do :y
                            J 8-)ason
It was not me, I did not touch it, I was not there!

philayl

• Intermediate Member
  • Wirral, Merseyide
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 16 May 2007, 18:17:52 »

Hi, if you don`t mind me asking what price did you pay for the box? :-[ I am asking, because if I ever need a new box I don`t want to get ripped off :P.
          And dare I ask what is your hire car is? I hope it is not a Amica I had to use one as a loan car before, never again.
     Well done for not giving up on your Omega like too many people do out there do :y
                            J 8-)ason
Hi Jason, I paid £300 + VAT for the box, but I was quoted £1450 + VAT for a recon one, so I am more than happy with a cheaper low mileage box, and 12 months warranty. My loan car is a bl@@dy awful Renault Megane auto, 2,000 miles on the clock and if anyone mentions Renault to me I will probably punch them in the mouth ,it really is the worst car I have driven, and over the last 42 years I have driven some cr@p!

Dave-C

• Omega Knight
  • Staffordshire
  • The Old Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 17 May 2007, 16:40:51 »

J 8-)ason
Hi Jason, I paid £300 + VAT for the box, but I was quoted £1450 + VAT for a recon one, so I am more than happy with a cheaper low mileage box, and 12 months warranty. My loan car is a bl@@dy awful Renault Megane auto, 2,000 miles on the clock and if anyone mentions Renault to me I will probably punch them in the mouth ,it really is the worst car I have driven, and over the last 42 years I have driven some cr@p!

We won't mention Renault then  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D    Must be honest, I drive a VX Vivaro for work, fundamentally a Renault..   not struck myself, gearbox is cr@p, very sluggish too, must admit almost at the 2900 kg max weight....  body feels flexible too.....

Good luck with the Meega..

DC
Do it right, do it once................

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 18 May 2007, 08:56:59 »

I had the joy of a box change recently... only just stopped aching!

Let us know how it goes.

philayl

• Intermediate Member
  • Wirral, Merseyide
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 18 May 2007, 12:10:58 »

I had the joy of a box change recently... only just stopped aching!

Let us know how it goes.

Hi, will post the outcome, supposed to have it back Monday with new auto box fitted, then it's off to have new middle section and back box fitted on Tues, then onto MOT, oh the joys of car ownership, don't you just love driving money pits round! :'(
p.s. Almost forgot, then I have to replace the aerial cable from the footwell to the back of the radio(anyone want to buy an Omega!! ::) )
« Last Edit: 18 May 2007, 12:14:49 by philayl »

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 18 May 2007, 12:34:09 »

Can you tell me where you got that second hand box from?  I am looking for one as my thrust washer is going and I am driving on borrowed time I thinks......
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.