Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: V6 Lifters  (Read 3623 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
V6 Lifters
« on: 21 November 2011, 10:02:02 »

So as some may have read & listened I have a couple of noisy lifters.

1) On a cold start, sounds fine. FatherT just borrowed it, hearing it driving off, sounded like V6 should.

2) High Idle (1.2k rpm) sounds like V6 should.

3) Its on hot idle at 500/600 rpm after a run, it sounds quite tappety. Also if you warm start it after being off for 20 mins, its also quite tappety on idle.

4) Driving around town with window open, sounds fine, great in-fact, what a V6 should sound like, picks up well. Goes like a 3.2 should.

I've put some Wynns lifter treatment in, done around 250 miles so far of mixed driving still not really made any noticeable difference.

Anything more I can do? Guess next stage is to do an oil pressure test? Is it possible oil pressure is not returning to what it should be? Whats process involved in this? What mm thread do I need?

Done some searching:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Astra-Corsa-Calibra-Frontera-Nova-Omega-Oil-Pressure-Switch-90336039-/290618734314?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43aa39f6ea#ht_1126wt_1037

Could not appear to find a test kit  :-\

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Re: V6 Lifters
« Reply #1 on: 21 November 2011, 10:07:54 »

I know you've checked strainer, so measuring oil pressure just to rule out any problems with that is a good move.

Failing that, several 250 mile oil changes and see what happens.

I had exactly the same issue in Max V6's old Elite Estate (the one you later had). In the end, I removed the lifters, and tested them individually - I found two duff ones which I replaced, and this cured it.

:y

aaronjb

« Reply #2 on: 21 November 2011, 10:10:24 »

Tunnie - that's just a standard oil pressure light switch, they activate at ~4psi or something pointless like that (by which time you can kiss goodbye to your engine at anything other than idle).. what you need is either a proper test kit or, much cheaper, to beg, borrow or steal a simple capillary oil pressure gauge..

Test kits: http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/Tool-Shop/Oil-Pressure-Testing-Tools

Capillary gauge: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MECHANICS-MASTER-ENGINE-OIL-PRESSURE-GAUGE-TESTING-KIT-/120810005682?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c20d664b2#ht_2330wt_940

You may need a different adapter, but essentially just unscrew the standard pressure switch and screw in the test gauge, start the car when hot and see what it reads..

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 November 2011, 10:11:45 »

I know you've checked strainer, so measuring oil pressure just to rule out any problems with that is a good move.

I had exactly the same issue in Max V6's old Elite Estate (the one you later had). In the end, I removed the lifters, and tested them individually - I found two duff ones which I replaced, and this cured it.

Yes sorry forgot to mention that, oil is staying nice and clean so far. Its on its second change in 500 miles so far.

I really, really don't want to be removing lifters  :(

But i've no idea how to test oil pressure  :-\

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 November 2011, 10:15:19 »

Tunnie - that's just a standard oil pressure light switch, they activate at ~4psi or something pointless like that (by which time you can kiss goodbye to your engine at anything other than idle).. what you need is either a proper test kit or, much cheaper, to beg, borrow or steal a simple capillary oil pressure gauge..

Test kits: http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/Tool-Shop/Oil-Pressure-Testing-Tools

Capillary gauge: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MECHANICS-MASTER-ENGINE-OIL-PRESSURE-GAUGE-TESTING-KIT-/120810005682?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c20d664b2#ht_2330wt_940

You may need a different adapter, but essentially just unscrew the standard pressure switch and screw in the test gauge, start the car when hot and see what it reads..

Thanks  :y

Yeah those proper kits look tad much, second gauges look better. Any chance anyone has one I can borrow? Rather a lot to spend on something thats only going to be used once  :(

Is it possible it is pressure issue? As its been stood for a year, several lifters would have been crushed when it was turned off. I have feeling some of those have not released properly

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 November 2011, 10:19:44 »

Due to the risk of high pressure oil leaks and resulting fire/skid danger i do NOT recommend it for permanent fitment.

Nice to see someone happy to stand by their product. ;)

Hmm. oil lines behind the dashboard. I know exactly what type of "skid risk" that'll cause when it lets go. ::)

But, as a diagnostic tool, not a bad idea. I think you will probably need an adaptor to connect it to a 3.2. Not sure what the oil pressure switch thread is but most Vauxhall applications appear to be M14x1.5.

Low oil pressure would cause all of the lifters to go noisy, though. Does it sound like all of them or just 1 or 2?
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

« Reply #6 on: 21 November 2011, 10:23:29 »

Hmm. oil lines behind the dashboard. I know exactly what type of "skid risk" that'll cause when it lets go. ::)

Indeed - I'd never fit a capillary gauge in the car as a permanent fixture (I'm always baffled why some folks prefer them, it seems like a disaster waiting to happen, to me!), rather go for a remote sender gauge as I had on the MR2.. but as a quick diagnostic thing it's much easier to screw a capillary gauge in that'll work with no other connections, than wire an electronic gauge up :)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 November 2011, 10:23:46 »

Yes sorry forgot to mention that, oil is staying nice and clean so far. Its on its second change in 500 miles so far.

I really, really don't want to be removing lifters  :(

But i've no idea how to test oil pressure  :-\

Lifters isn't too bad a job. I'm sure TB would give you a hand? :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 November 2011, 10:26:54 »

Its more than one lifter, maybe 2 or 3 each bank, towards the back. Couple of people have listened to it, thought the same.

Imagine if it was all of them, it would sound like a bag of nails

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 November 2011, 10:30:00 »

I have some concerns, the fact it gets noisey when hot hints to me more towards oil pressure falling as the engine warms up.

If the lifters were at fault it would be noisey when cold.

Are you using Vx semi snyth oil?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 November 2011, 10:33:59 »

I have some concerns, the fact it gets noisey when hot hints to me more towards oil pressure falling as the engine warms up.

If the lifters were at fault it would be noisey when cold.

Are you using Vx semi snyth oil?

Yes standard GM 10/40  :y

It is very noticeable when hot :(  :-\

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 November 2011, 10:50:55 »

Any bottom end noise?

Are the internals nice and clean at the moment?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 November 2011, 10:54:35 »

No, sounds sweet.

Sump has been removed to check pick-up was clear, some very small metal partials in the pick-up mesh & in the sump, but very, very small amounts.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 November 2011, 11:23:48 »

This is potentialy one of the times where I would be tempted to run a good (e.g. Forte) oil flush through

Debs.

« Reply #14 on: 21 November 2011, 11:30:11 »

I`m not sure of the required measuring-range?...but, I have a (BNIB) 0-100 PSI gauge, 100mm. dia. (I think it`s a parallel 3/8" pipe-thread on the inlet): `happy to donate to forum use.......could possibly help with a length of hose/suitable fittings, given a day or two. :y

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.