Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: V6 Lifters  (Read 3622 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: V6 Lifters
« Reply #15 on: 21 November 2011, 11:41:17 »

Is it perhaps worth having a look at the pressure relief valve?

IIRC it's behind a plug that can be removed once the cam belt cover is off, so not much work to check.

From what I saw when the sump was off the internals looked pretty clean. I doubt there'd be any harm in flushing it in that state but a drop in oil pressure only at idle, and presumably enough at higher speeds given that it's not suffered, makes me think the pressure relief valve might have a bit of crud in it, which is stopping it fully closing.

I`m not sure of the required measuring-range?...but, I have a (BNIB) 0-100 PSI gauge, 100mm. dia. (I think it`s a parallel 3/8" pipe-thread on the inlet): `happy to donate to forum use.......could possibly help with a length of hose/suitable fittings, given a day or two.

That would indeed be handy. :y Just need to adapt the thread to M14x1.5 (assuming that's what the V6 has-I haven't checked.)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 November 2011, 11:43:40 »

I`m not sure of the required measuring-range?...but, I have a (BNIB) 0-100 PSI gauge, 100mm. dia. (I think it`s a parallel 3/8" pipe-thread on the inlet): `happy to donate to forum use.......could possibly help with a length of hose/suitable fittings, given a day or two. :y

Fantastic Debs, I'm happy to get any adaptors needed to make this work?  :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 November 2011, 11:45:53 »

This is potentialy one of the times where I would be tempted to run a good (e.g. Forte) oil flush through

I've not got any Forte, but tecSOL that Omegatoy gave me years ago, but yet to use.

Do the job? It also mentions sticky lifters.

Leave the Wynns in there a bit longer maybe?  :-\

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 November 2011, 11:48:59 »

IIRC it's behind a plug that can be removed once the cam belt cover is off, so not much work to check.

From what I saw when the sump was off the internals looked pretty clean. I doubt there'd be any harm in flushing it in that state but a drop in oil pressure only at idle, and presumably enough at higher speeds given that it's not suffered, makes me think the pressure relief valve might have a bit of crud in it, which is stopping it fully closing.

I`m not sure of the required measuring-range?...but, I have a (BNIB) 0-100 PSI gauge, 100mm. dia. (I think it`s a parallel 3/8" pipe-thread on the inlet): `happy to donate to forum use.......could possibly help with a length of hose/suitable fittings, given a day or two.

That would indeed be handy. :y Just need to adapt the thread to M14x1.5 (assuming that's what the V6 has-I haven't checked.)

Would engine flush help to clear that?  :-\

Debs.

« Reply #19 on: 21 November 2011, 11:49:45 »

P.M sent :y

aaronjb

« Reply #20 on: 21 November 2011, 11:51:27 »

Tunnie - if you're going to get adapters to hook Deb's gauge up to your engine, find out what the thread is on the engine side and then take the gauge to your nearest Pirtek/industrial hydraulic hose place.. talk nicely to them and they'll make up a length of hose with the right fittings at each end for not a lot of money, I'll bet..

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 21 November 2011, 11:53:43 »

Would engine flush help to clear that?  :-\

Depends what it is. If it's a bit of oil deposit or carbon then maybe. If it's a bit of swarf, grit, etc. then probably not.

I know it can be a problem on the C20XE engine, causing exactly these symptoms. I'm speculating that maybe the V6 has a similar setup? ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21 November 2011, 11:53:48 »

Tunnie - if you're going to get adapters to hook Deb's gauge up to your engine, find out what the thread is on the engine side and then take the gauge to your nearest Pirtek/industrial hydraulic hose place.. talk nicely to them and they'll make up a length of hose with the right fittings at each end for not a lot of money, I'll bet..

Good advice, ta  :y

But where is it on the engine?  :-[

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 21 November 2011, 11:57:34 »

The oil pressure switch - down to the left of the crank pulley.

What we are proposing is to remove this temporarily and connect the gauge. :y

In fact, I wonder if someone breaking a car has got an engine on which they can check the thread size? As I say, most modern Vauxhall applications appear to list a 14x1.5 adaptor but would be good to verify.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 21 November 2011, 11:58:54 »

P.M sent :y

Replied  :)  :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 21 November 2011, 12:02:22 »

The oil pressure switch - down to the left of the crank pulley.

What we are proposing is to remove this temporarily and connect the gauge. :y

In fact, I wonder if someone breaking a car has got an engine on which they can check the thread size? As I say, most modern Vauxhall applications appear to list a 14x1.5 adaptor but would be good to verify.

Think I remember seeing this, when doing aux belt  :)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 21 November 2011, 12:28:26 »

So couple of things, shall I leave the Wynns in there a bit longer? Its only been in a couple of hundred.

Also is it ok to add the engine flush with Wynns already in there?

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 21 November 2011, 13:28:07 »

What we are saying is its not the lifters at fault (or they would be noisey when cold after they have bled down).

My comment re-engine flush was as per Kevin, its could be that the pressure releief valve is not seating fully and hence the flush may help to shift any crudd causing an issue.

As for a hydraulic hose, for christs sake dont use Pirtek, find a local place/man who does them as Pirtek are THE most expensive outfit you will ever come across!

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 21 November 2011, 13:30:57 »

Ok, thanks Mark  :y

To save an oil change, I can just chuck the engine flush I have (tecsol) in with the Wynns already there? (won't do any harm mixing with it?) let it idle for 10 mins, as per instructions then drop oil & change it.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 21 November 2011, 13:41:32 »

The Wynns engine flush says something along the lines of 20 Mins at 3K RPM IIRC. Got to get the pressure relief valve working / discounted before anything else IMHO.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 18 queries.