Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: V6 Lifters  (Read 3624 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: V6 Lifters
« Reply #30 on: 21 November 2011, 13:43:52 »

The Wynns engine flush says something along the lines of 20 Mins at 3K RPM IIRC. Got to get the pressure relief valve working / discounted before anything else IMHO.

Stuff I have says 10 minutes at idle only, hoping the flush might move any crud around this valve.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 21 November 2011, 13:47:06 »

My lifters rattle all the time! I just turn the radio up a notch now...Wynns did bugger all for mine.
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 21 November 2011, 14:09:00 »

The Wynns engine flush says something along the lines of 20 Mins at 3K RPM IIRC. Got to get the pressure relief valve working / discounted before anything else IMHO.

Stuff I have says 10 minutes at idle only, hoping the flush might move any crud around this valve.

I would chuck it in with the lifter treatment (which is probably just a mild form of flush anyway). I would also try a combination of idle and holding the engine at higher RPM, though, because ideally you want to try to exercise the relief valve a little, if it's not stuck fast.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 21 November 2011, 14:56:09 »

I would chuck it in with the lifter treatment (which is probably just a mild form of flush anyway). I would also try a combination of idle and holding the engine at higher RPM, though, because ideally you want to try to exercise the relief valve a little, if it's not stuck fast.

Cheers Kevin, about to chuck the stuff in now  :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 21 November 2011, 16:16:11 »

Hmm. oil lines behind the dashboard. I know exactly what type of "skid risk" that'll cause when it lets go. ::)

Indeed - I'd never fit a capillary gauge in the car as a permanent fixture (I'm always baffled why some folks prefer them, it seems like a disaster waiting to happen, to me!), rather go for a remote sender gauge as I had on the MR2.. but as a quick diagnostic thing it's much easier to screw a capillary gauge in that'll work with no other connections, than wire an electronic gauge up :)

Digressing somewhat, IIRC the Blackburn Beverley had four capillary oil pressure lines up to 30' long, one from each engine to the flight deck. As you may imagine, changing one was not an Instrument Fitter's favourite pastime!

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 21 November 2011, 16:45:26 »

Ok, chucked the flush in. On the bottle it said idle for 10 mins when hot, i gave it 8 mins at idle, 2 mins at 1.2k rpm & 2 mins at 2.5k rpm.

Dumped oil, fresh in with new filter, given it blast around the block. Much the same  :(

Took a video of it, as i put the microphone right up against the cam covers, sounds much worse  ;D

Sounds like a tractor  :o

But as soon as your above idle, driving around town 1.5krpm+ say, smooooth as silk, sounds like V6 should  :-\

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/803897/Omega/TheChav/Video%2021-11-2011%2016%2007%2017.mov

Video around (6mb)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 21 November 2011, 16:52:10 »

But as soon as your above idle, driving around town 1.5krpm+ say, smooooth as silk, sounds like V6 should  :-\

Hmm. Certainly sounds like symptoms of low oil pressure at idle to me. Would be good to get it measured, or just pop the relief valve out and check for debris and if the piston is scored.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 21 November 2011, 16:55:17 »

Hmm. Certainly sounds like symptoms of low oil pressure at idle to me. Would be good to get it measured, or just pop the relief valve out and check for debris and if the piston is scored.

Doing oil change today, I could see the pressure switch, it had a loom plug on it next to crank pully.

So I remove the loom connector and get a spanner/deep socket on it? Just remove it normally?

Stupid question - Will oil pour out?  :-[  :-\

aaronjb

« Reply #38 on: 21 November 2011, 17:10:09 »

It'll be in an oil gallery so 'some' oil will drain out .. 'course it doesn't take much to make a mess everywhere ;D

You'll probably want some PTFE tape, by the way, to seal things back up again.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 21 November 2011, 17:12:10 »

It'll be in an oil gallery so 'some' oil will drain out .. 'course it doesn't take much to make a mess everywhere ;D

Hummm don't have any of that. Might need to wait for fatties help.  :(

Is it going to cause any damage with continued driving?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 21 November 2011, 17:13:29 »

Doing oil change today, I could see the pressure switch, it had a loom plug on it next to crank pully.

So I remove the loom connector and get a spanner/deep socket on it? Just remove it normally?

Stupid question - Will oil pour out?  :-[  :-\

Yes, a little, but that's the pressure switch (for measuring the oil pressure) not the relief valve (a possible reason why it might be low). The relief valve is under a plug on the top of the oil pump, IIRC. Plenum, bagpipes, aux belt and cam belt cover need to come off to get to it. Might be worth hooking up that gauge as a first step, just to confirm our suspicions.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 21 November 2011, 17:16:59 »

I just used a new copper washer last time I had mine off.
Grumpy old man

aaronjb

« Reply #42 on: 21 November 2011, 17:17:48 »

Ah - it's that kind of seal.. actually that makes sense, if it's not a taper thread (as Kevin alluded to). Durr. Ignore me on the PTFE, then  :-[

[edit] There you go, Tunnie - one less excuse to wait for TBs help.. ;) ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 21 November 2011, 17:18:51 »

I think a couple of us have heard this now.

When the oil is hot and thin, it sounds tappety from both banks. Cold its fine, fast idle it sounds fine.

I'd be inclined to get the pressure gauge on it.

Any debris/shite come out with the flush?
Grumpy old man

Debs.

« Reply #44 on: 21 November 2011, 17:20:10 »

If pushed for a replacement: anneal the old one to 'red' with blow-torch and dunk! ;)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.