Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: rear brakes hot to touch  (Read 1248 times)

jay99

• Greater Manchester.
    • Omega 2.0 manual 2000
    • View Profile
rear brakes hot to touch
« on: 02 September 2014, 11:12:06 »

I suspect my rear brakes are stuck while driving. They are always hot to touch and you can sometimes hear a squeal at low speed. The handbrake is completely loose and holds after about 7-8 clicks and has to be pulled up completely to hold.

Is there a cheap way to free them so they stop sticking? Caliper looks rusted through so it looks like a full overhall required but I've got 11 months mot and never need the handbrake as a I park in 1st gear.

Maybe the back brakes are used in conjunction with the front and if so then I'm probably wrong.

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: 02 September 2014, 11:14:14 by jay99 »

aaronjb

Re: rear brakes hot to touch
« Reply #1 on: 02 September 2014, 11:16:06 »

The handbrake is inside the drum of the rear disc and is almost certainly not what's sticking (since you say it holds OK).. the rear callipers - which, yes, work in conjunction with the front to stop your car on the foot brake - are almost certainly what is stuck on causing the roasting hot disc.

You need to get those rebuilt - at the very least dismantle, ensure the slide pins are free and greased with appropriate grease, then reassemble assuming the pistons are free to push back in.

jay99

• Greater Manchester.
    • Omega 2.0 manual 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 September 2014, 11:23:33 »

The handbrake is inside the drum of the rear disc and is almost certainly not what's sticking (since you say it holds OK).. the rear callipers - which, yes, work in conjunction with the front to stop your car on the foot brake - are almost certainly what is stuck on causing the roasting hot disc.

You need to get those rebuilt - at the very least dismantle, ensure the slide pins are free and greased with appropriate grease, then reassemble assuming the pistons are free to push back in.

Oh I see, well something snapped last month so I think why the drum handbrake is not working properly and is loose, but it still works so I'll leave it.

The caliper is literally is made out of dust and crumbles when you poke it, but if the disc is warm then maybe its because it is being used. Can I disconnect it somewhere Like a fuse so the ecu won't use the rear brake? Would this be safe?

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 September 2014, 11:42:42 »

Oh I see, well something snapped last month so I think why the drum handbrake is not working properly and is loose, but it still works so I'll leave it.

The caliper is literally is made out of dust and crumbles when you poke it, but if the disc is warm then maybe its because it is being used. Can I disconnect it somewhere Like a fuse so the ecu won't use the rear brake? Would this be safe?

you are joking ... aren't you ???

05omegav6

« Reply #4 on: 02 September 2014, 12:55:17 »

You'd like to think so Nige... Does rather explain why the Police chased that family across Europe. A little thought goes a long way ::)

Buy yourself new rear discs, new pads and a new fittings kit.

Then remove the retaining pins and pads from the caliper, unbolt it leaving the hydraulic line attached. Remove the disc and refit the caliper securely. Then using a small wire brush and losts of brake cleaner, clean all the crap of the caliper,  paying attention to where the pads sit. Then unbolt the caliper and fit the new disc, cleaning/adjusting the handbrake shoes/mechanism as per the guide. Fit the new pads with a wipe of copperslip on the top and bottom edges using the new fitting kit.

Repeat tother side and jobs a goodun, working rear brakes and a fully functioning handbrake :y

If that has gone straight over your head then either ask if someone local on here might be able to help or take it to a garage...

chrisgixer

« Reply #5 on: 02 September 2014, 13:13:31 »

If they are similar or slightly colder/ less hot than the fronts then don't worry.

...but if the rears are hot and the fronts are cold then that would suggest the rear discs are binding. The next question then, is, are BOTH rear discs hot? Or just one side.

If you have a binding rear calliper then service the rear brakes. You may then find that new calliper seals are needed. In which case these are available from a dealer, or you may find it easier and cheaper to replace the rear callipers with good used ones, or enquire about Vauxhalls calliper exchange service, although that probably won't be a particularly cheap option last I looked.

chrisgixer

« Reply #6 on: 02 September 2014, 13:16:03 »

If they are similar or slightly colder/ less hot than the fronts then don't worry.

...but if the rears are hot and the fronts are cold then that would suggest the rear discs are binding. The next question then, is, are BOTH rear discs hot? Or just one side.

If you have a binding rear calliper then service the rear brakes. You may then find that new calliper seals are needed. In which case these are available from a dealer, or you may find it easier and cheaper to replace the rear callipers with good used ones, or enquire about Vauxhalls calliper exchange service, although that probably won't be a particularly cheap option last I looked.

Then again, this assumes an amount of diy capability. Which may not be wise given some of the comments here. :o

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #7 on: 03 September 2014, 01:24:39 »

If you need to ask a question like that, don't mess with the brakes - take it to a garage :o
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 September 2014, 02:27:56 »

just had similar problem on my rear disc, one pad was worn almost to the metal and the piston wouldn't retract . some force to the piston face and new pads seems to have fixed it touch wood.  the discs do get warm but shouldn't be too hot to hold a finger on assuming you havent stood on the brakes before checking. easy to check if the discs are binding jack up a wheel and spin it having chocked the others.  or even just try rolling your car with the brakes off.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 September 2014, 13:40:19 »

The usual cause is the pad sticking in the calliper, removing the pads and cleaning the machined flats on the calliper normally sorts, exercise the pistons to ensure they are free.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.