Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega 2.2 Petrol - Oil Pump  (Read 1482 times)

windhoek_boy

• Windhoek, Namibia
    • Omega 2.2 16V
    • View Profile
Omega 2.2 Petrol - Oil Pump
« on: 01 September 2014, 12:00:30 »

Where can i get an affordable Oil Pump for Omega 2.2 petrol Y22XE engine?

After doing the HG and allowing engine to run for a while to make sure it was running OK there was a sudden tapping sound from the cam cover and Oil light came on...(Mechanic said its because the cam shafts are not getting oil). this was after cleaning old water mixed with oil (mayo) from the engine and then added new oil.

So i need an Oil Pump... gonna be way to expensive if i go to dealer....other suppliers dont even stock it......am down here in Namibia... :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Omega 2.2 Petrol - Oil Pump
« Reply #1 on: 01 September 2014, 13:53:28 »

It's unlikely to be the pump itself, in my opinion.

First thing I'd do is to drop the sump and check the pickup pipe and strainer are clear. It's possible some debris has got in there.

Second thing I'd do is check the pressure relief valve, as it's possible that that has jammed open, again, due to some debris.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

windhoek_boy

• Windhoek, Namibia
    • Omega 2.2 16V
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 September 2014, 16:52:27 »

First thing I'd do is to drop the sump and check the pickup pipe and strainer are clear. It's possible some debris has got in there.

Second thing I'd do is check the pressure relief valve, as it's possible that that has jammed open, again, due to some debris.

Thanks for the response Kevin. i appreciate it.

the story goes.......

1.) Omega 2.2 petrol started overheating possibly because of a leaky header tank cap which is not an original cap anyway, so it released pressure when the engine got hot. So the car overheated and burnt some oil (20w-50 wrong oil  too :( ) so Omega showed Oil light for the first time since i owned it and a loud tapping sound now came from the tappet cover,  and it started misfiring. i called Mech, opened engine and there was a lot of sludge (burnt oil) everywhere including the cams and the oil strainer and all. So we decided to drain the burnt oil and open the sump and clean the oil strainer which was thoroughly clogged.

2.) We Put back the sump, new oil, new oil filter and then started the car to see if the HG was intact.... It started, misfired again, and this time lots of water from the exhaust, which indeed confirmed my suspicion (together with Mechanic) that HG was gone. It thoroughly mixed the new oil and water to form a creme colored (mayo mixture).  So we opened the engine, found a cup of water in last Cylinder. Mechanic measured the the Top and he said it needed skimming and so he cleaned it and also took it in to be machined.

3.) We cleaned underneath cam cover - removed sludge from the Cam shafts and Cam area, So the fixed Top was brought back and fitted back on with a new Victor Reinz HG.  We did not open the sump again to clean it... and we forgot the Mayo-mixture in the sump. so engine started and the mayo was circulated again and then we saw it and drained out that 5L or more of Mayo. we cleaned cam shafts again and drained out some mayo after removing oil filter. Put new oil and another oil filter again.

4.) This time engine started and ran fine and we let it run for a while and the temperature also seemed normal, we let it run even longer since we also wanted find out if it was overheating, then suddenly a  loud Tapping sound started from the cam cover which Mech then said it was inadequate oil circulation and oil would therefore NOT reach the top of engine...which made him suggest failing Oil PUMP. So he suggested i buy new OIL PUMP. Initially after starting, Omega does not show any oil light at all and it runs very smooth,,,,,,maybe i should leave engine running to see if the light comes back on???

windhoek_boy

• Windhoek, Namibia
    • Omega 2.2 16V
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 September 2014, 18:13:27 »

Yah...CONFIRMED... when the engine runs for a while there is a tapping sound from the cam cover which increases as the engine runs.

Soon it is very loud and Oil light turns on... So what you say Kevin??

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 September 2014, 18:31:52 »

You have a lack of oil pressure, clearly. I'd avoid running it any more and check the pickup strainer and pressure relief valve. Given that it has had debris there in the past, I reckon the clean oil will have flushed out some new debris that has blocked it again. The oil pump is just 2 concentric gears in a housing, so unless it has really chewed up a load of debris, it can't really go wrong.

Was the oil filter changed? It's also possible that that has clogged, of course.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 September 2014, 18:40:06 »

Yep as Kevin has said quite possibly needs a good clean out by dropping sump and checking strainer....Then after putting it back together use the proper oil and filter and see how it is.....I had a 2,2 and after head gasket was done the came followers were a bit noisy ,,oil pressure was ok so i added a tin of wyns treatment that shut it up.I then ran the car for one hundred miles and changed oil and filter again and all has been well with it.....best of luck with yours  :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 September 2014, 18:51:10 »

Yep, you can expect the lifters to be noisy for some time after a head-off operation, but the oil pressure light indicates a more serious issue. :y

windhoek_boy

• Windhoek, Namibia
    • Omega 2.2 16V
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 September 2014, 20:13:22 »

Kevin and Flyer.... thanks a lot this is very informative and helpful. :y i'm in Windhoek Namibia where we have a few...countable number of Omegas in the whole country.... :) so this forum comes in handy....

As for the oil in the sump i checked the dip stick while the engine was running and also checked as usual when engine was off, after a while when oil had settled down,Oil in on  FULL Mark as shown by dipstick, clear and clean as NEW in both instances...is that normal???

i will soon try to get the Strainer and Pressure Valve checked as you suggested.

windhoek_boy

• Windhoek, Namibia
    • Omega 2.2 16V
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 September 2014, 18:36:02 »

thanks again everyone for the advice. Here is a question....

can you please tell me if that there in the picture below is the Oil Pressure Release Valve?? how do i remove it and how do you recommend i clean it??

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 September 2014, 10:40:44 »

I'm not familiar with the 4 pot engines, but that actually looks like a bypass valve that protects the engine if the oil filter clogs. I'd expect the relief valve to be on the oil pump body itself but, as I say, I'm, not too familiar with that engine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 22 queries.