Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: TV electrical woes  (Read 3594 times)

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
TV electrical woes
« on: 22 June 2018, 19:28:47 »

Looks like it's my turn for some electrical shenanigans.  SEG TV bought in Germany 11 years ago, was when full HD was pretty new so I spent quite a bit on it even tax free.  I always bemoaned how I shouldn't have bought german because the bloody thing will last forever so now a year before we move to the US and have to replace most of our electrical devices it decides to go 'arris over apex.

Basically it stays on standby just fine, you can then turn it on and it works perfectly for about 10 minutes at which point it will flicker and die before returning to standby.  Ad nauseum.  The time it stays on is more or less the same every time so I am thinking capacitors rather than a dry solder joint.  As I on the right track?

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
Re: TV electrical woes
« Reply #1 on: 22 June 2018, 19:49:14 »

Is it worth giving it a blast of air via the vents if you have a compressor ,10 years of dust ,overheating
heatsinks on triacs etc
done that before with a Conrac 32" screen with similar issue
(I used a CO2 fire extinguisher ,set unplugged from electricary, But I'm not recommending that as a method , ) still working  :y

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 June 2018, 20:12:20 »

Good point. I'll be stripping the back off shortly to have a look so if there is dust I'll clear it.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 June 2018, 21:21:33 »

Don't get that fire extinguisher out, get an aerosol can of freezer spray. It will have a straw delivery tube to direct the coolant precisely to isolate the faulty component more readily - and weighs less than an extinguisher!

Ron.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 June 2018, 21:22:52 »

Well the back is off ND yes there was a lot of dust on the vents but nothing has that telltale burnt smell so I don't think that is it.

There is a large capacitor on which the soldering looks very poorly done and the glue which holds it to the board has dried and come loose so it has been held by the solder joints since god knows when.

I'm going to let the capacitor completely discharge overnight, clean it up, wet the joints and re glue it. See if that does the job.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 June 2018, 01:26:26 »

...... so now a year before we move to the US and have to replace most of our electrical devices.

Are you having a sale at Chez Guff of all your useless (in the US) white goods and power tools etc?  ???
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 June 2018, 08:27:14 »

...... so now a year before we move to the US and have to replace most of our electrical devices.

Are you having a sale at Chez Guff of all your useless (in the US) white goods and power tools etc?  ???

One day I shall be, yes.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 June 2018, 08:54:08 »

Given the age, visibly look at the electrolytic caps.

Its also possibly in the era of the start of lead free, which might prove challenging.
Grumpy old man

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 June 2018, 09:21:18 »

Yup, the connection to the largest one on the power supply was very suspect.  I have cleaned it up and testing it now.  I think the capacitor itself is fubar but testing right now.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 June 2018, 10:02:22 »

So far so good. 45 minutes without issue whereas before 10 minutes would trigger a blackout.

I wonder how many otherwise fine electrical items get chucked out for the sake of someone actually doing a proper job in the first place?

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 June 2018, 10:45:17 »

One day I shall be, yes.

When my mate moved to the States a few years ago, he was determined to take his fancy coffee machine.  He ended up getting a transformer that was bigger than the coffee machine itself and hummed menacingly in the background while you were making a cuppa!  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 June 2018, 10:50:49 »

we live in a throw away society
i do loads of repairs for family on items that are "dead " many of which are simple fixes .
it's much better for the environment if things are fixed
reduces landfill and the energy /resources required to make the replacement item

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 June 2018, 11:08:14 »

One day I shall be, yes.

When my mate moved to the States a few years ago, he was determined to take his fancy coffee machine.  He ended up getting a transformer that was bigger than the coffee machine itself and hummed menacingly in the background while you were making a cuppa!  ;D

There are some devices which are dual voltage and would work with a simple change of plug but then there is the CBA factor of getting out there combined with the cost.  No to mention the opportunity to get nice brand new shiny stuff :D

We have a small step down transformer for those items we have from America but which are 110 volts only.  It's small but blimey it's heavy.  If anyone ever breaks in to the house while I am there it will be my go to weapon.  A clout on the noggin from that and you'd be out for a week.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 June 2018, 11:37:53 »

i do loads of repairs for family on items that are "dead " many of which are simple fixes .
reduces landfill and the energy /resources required to make the replacement item
Unfortunately this doesn't create demand for new shiny stuff that keeps people tied to their jobs (making/selling said shiny stuff) to pay for the shiny stuff etc etc ::)

Shiny makes the world work.
Onanists always think outside the box.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 June 2018, 12:13:06 »

Unfortunately this doesn't create demand for new shiny stuff that keeps people tied to their jobs (making/selling said shiny stuff) to pay for the shiny stuff etc etc ::)

Shiny makes the world work.
the world maybe ,
we don't make much shiny stuff in the uk anymore  :'(
there is a market for the uk unwanted "dead" appliances etc
containers full go to Africa , stuff get's fixed there ,

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.