Chat Area > General Discussion Area

British Steel

(1/6) > >>

Varche:
Should they be government supported?

Two interesting facts.

China has produced more steel in the last 23 months than Britain has since it started in the industrial revolution.

British steel is an efficient outfit.

A question. If Britain loses its steel making capability due to China undercutting, how do you make weaponry in the event of the next war? Buy the steel in from China?

Sir Tigger KC:
It'll be painted as a victim of BREXIT, but isn't the cost of EU carbon credits also a factor?  ???

If so, given that we have one of the cleanest economies in the world, where's the sense in letting it fail and then importing steel from dirty economies like China etc?  :-\  ???

Also as Varche points out, it's a strategic industry so should be helped out, but wait that's against EU law!  :o  and as we're destined to become a province of the USE there is no need for steel production in the UK as the state planners have already decreed that the USE's steel production will take place in Romania.  ;)

BazaJT:
As with many large industries it is not just the "headline" job loss figures but also the number of other jobs/businesses that support/are supported by British Steel.Whether this makes the case for government support/nationalization or not I'll leave for those cleverer than I to decide.Back in the '70s there was a"rush" to buy Russian steel because it was cheaper but was then found to be a very inferior product.Chinese steel may[or may not] now be on a par with British steel for quality whilst being cheaper,but if one country can kill the industry of another by flooding it with a cheaper product then what happens when country 1 has country 2 over a barrel and can dictate price/supply at will?

Olympia5776:
A complex and difficult conundrum.
Irrespective of our vote to leave the EU my head says that we should maintain the strategic ability to produce steel for our own needs.
With Port Talbot being in a precarious state too it's a problem that will need addressing soon.
It's a classic example of the EU shadow having a long term effect on the base infrastructure of a member country by means of directional subsidies or preferential decisions .
The importation of lower cost Chinese ,or other foreign produced , steel is also something that is difficult to control in this day of international trade and with the still hoped for democratically decided Brexit  ;) makes that even more arduous.
However , I trained as an Instrument Engineer at Ravenscraig Steel Works in Lanarkshire and seen the cavalier financial attitude that was enjoyed by both management and workers at that plant in the 70's and 80's when the nationalised money tree was in fruit.
That plant, and the ten others in the area closed for the correct reasons ,being built inland instead of on the coast , but the effect it had on the economy of the region was devastating and still being felt today .
I guess it's down to the value that a country places on it's free standing ability in the world.

tunnie:

--- Quote from: Varche on 21 May 2019, 22:19:26 ---Should they be government supported?

Two interesting facts.

China has produced more steel in the last 23 months than Britain has since it started in the industrial revolution.

British steel is an efficient outfit.

A question. If Britain loses its steel making capability due to China undercutting, how do you make weaponry in the event of the next war? Buy the steel in from China?

--- End quote ---

Wow!  :o :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version