Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 49   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega Owners Forum  (Read 154277 times)

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
Re: Omega Owners Forum
« Reply #90 on: 19 May 2012, 00:06:03 »

Is the answer not to close the General Discussion board or request the purveyors of political matters, or other material not deemed to be in keeping with the general tenor of a car forum to desist or leave - I'm more than happy to abide by the wishes of those who consider this to be such a problem but for Christ’s sake lets not beat about the bush and continue to pick at this perceived sore.

Quite agree, Den.

You know the fact that we all have/had Vauxhall Omegas in no way implies common ground on any other issue. We reflect society at large: the good, bad and ugly. We are not living in happy times and some of the posts reflect that. But it is good that if members feel unhappy about something they can post their views. It helps to know that others agree and we can have a joint rant.

If there is one thing I would change it is the sticky for jokes. I used to enjoy opening a thread and, unsuspectingly, come across a real howler. The sticky has moved the humour into a back cupboard, where few venture, I suspect. Some jokes deserve a thread of their own and enliven the board as a whole. :y

That said, Omega ownership will die out. It's inevitable. I mean, how many Model T forums are still in existence?  ;) ;D

I no longer drive an Omega, although my partner still has an 03 Estate.  I still regularly come onto OOF and will try and pass on some of the specific knowledge I have gained off this forum together with my long experience of working on motors generally, to newer forum members.

I am now a member of a couple of Jaguar forums and compared to OOF they are crap - and the same comments are being made there..  Some evenings I am the only member logged on to one of them, and talk about the snobbery of guys owning old rubbishy Jags - unbelievable!!  A bit of a shock after OOF - even got asked what FFS meant ???

OOF still has a lot going for it, although I do agree the Daz/Jimbob/Ljay incident has caused major upsets - still miss the LK banter and humour!!

Yes the forum does seem more subdued of late - maybe time of the year is a contributory factor as is the lack of LK banter.
Agree with Nickbat's comment re the sticky jokes (joke get it  8)) - don't bother posting jokes now and rarely read that sticky - shame used to enjoy the jokes in Gen Discusssion.

This is just my opinion and perception  ;)

Re one of the Jag forums - 1 minute ago . . .

"   Users Online

Members: 1
Dbug
Guests: 9
Search Engines: 7
Baidu  (1), Google  (1), MSN Search  (4), Yandex  (1) "

« Last Edit: 19 May 2012, 00:12:06 by dbug »
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 19 May 2012, 00:13:11 »

I think this is a fantastic forum and kicks the other car forums I have frequented into the long grass  :y :y :y

It is mainly the reason that my 12 year old/210,000 miles Omega is still with me 6 years on, which is the longest I have ever owned a car!!!  :)   So many many thanks for all the advice, how to guides and affordable parts!!!  :y :y :y

There seems to be a few who don't like the GenDiss section, but I enjoy it as you get to read opinions from all walks of life across a broad spectrum of subjects!  :y Although if I'm honest, I find the 'Woe is me, my goat died last night' type of thread pretty tedious.... :-\  But that's simple I just don't read them!  ::)  and in my opinion that's what everyone should do, rather than wade through a thread they have no interest in and then grumble about it!!!   ::)

Does OOF need fixing?  ???  Not really IMO, but it's bound to evolve and change over time like any organisation.  ???

How insensitive! >:( >:(

My pet goat, Billy, escaped last week and was found today dead at the roadside in West Dorset. Police are looking for the driver of an Omega who was seen wiping blood off his bumper while filling with LPG at a local filling station.  :P

Ooo That was yours??  :o  I was going to chuck it into the boot as normal, but I'd read Entwood's advice on roadkill*  ::) so thought I'd better leave it...... Shame as he was nice and meaty and I bloody love roast goat!!!  :-* :-* :-*

* See 'Deerstrike'
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 19 May 2012, 00:26:24 »

This is my own personal view.

I have been on here for over 5 years and used to love getting on here every night, many times crying with laughter. Could not wait to get on the following night. Some reading this will probably laugh but its true.
The Meets brilliant fun. The same people always go, I could write down now who will go to each meet... there will be the odd new face but as a rule the same people go. So we all get to know each other well, some better than others as friendships strike up.
Quizzes were run with teams on msn so we could confere with our answers....
To me if certain people did not start the laughter or banter whatever you want to call it... it never happens.

As for the trouble with Ljay & myself that to me was not the problem. It was Jimbob's banning of me for saying two words, "Boring" on the open forum which Ljay herself has said on numerous occasions, then "Y awn" in answer to a PM I recieved from Ljay.
Then the way the Admin Team went about sorting it. It seemed to drag on and on almost coming over as they really didn't care anyway.

What the Admin Team did seem to miss was the fact several people did feel strongly (and still do) about what happened, but weren't aloud to voice their opinions without getting their posts deleted etc... this then caused more unrest. I was rather hurt to say the least and decided to hit the Delete your account button. 
« Last Edit: 19 May 2012, 00:35:51 by Loo-knee »
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

Nickbat

« Reply #93 on: 19 May 2012, 00:36:52 »

I think this is a fantastic forum and kicks the other car forums I have frequented into the long grass  :y :y :y

It is mainly the reason that my 12 year old/210,000 miles Omega is still with me 6 years on, which is the longest I have ever owned a car!!!  :)   So many many thanks for all the advice, how to guides and affordable parts!!!  :y :y :y

There seems to be a few who don't like the GenDiss section, but I enjoy it as you get to read opinions from all walks of life across a broad spectrum of subjects!  :y Although if I'm honest, I find the 'Woe is me, my goat died last night' type of thread pretty tedious.... :-\  But that's simple I just don't read them!  ::)  and in my opinion that's what everyone should do, rather than wade through a thread they have no interest in and then grumble about it!!!   ::)

Does OOF need fixing?  ???  Not really IMO, but it's bound to evolve and change over time like any organisation.  ???

How insensitive! >:( >:(

My pet goat, Billy, escaped last week and was found today dead at the roadside in West Dorset. Police are looking for the driver of an Omega who was seen wiping blood off his bumper while filling with LPG at a local filling station.  :P

Ooo That was yours??  :o  I was going to chuck it into the boot as normal, but I'd read Entwood's advice on roadkill*  ::) so thought I'd better leave it...... Shame as he was nice and meaty and I bloody love roast goat!!!  :-* :-* :-*

* See 'Deerstrike'

"Chuck it in the boot" ??? Your insensitivity knows no bounds.

Billy was not just a goat. He was a companion to Barry, my pet bat, who recently underwent a long and grueling operation for cataracts. He was also the mascot for the the local branch of Samaritans. Many was the hour he would stand outside the DIY store on a Saturday and aid collections, as well as giving people the will to live.

You should also note that, prior to his sad demise at your hands, he had received a letter informing him that his long-awaited consultation with an ass consultant had been pencilled in for early 2013 (subject to government cuts).

He could have led a long and happy life (well, maybe not happy, but at least oblivious given the likely behavioural drug programme the dodgy consultant would have prescribed). Sadly, he has now departed this mortal coil, his life cruelly cut short by an LPG junkie, who clearly puts cost per litre above the life of a four-footed (well, three actually, owing to an unfortunate incident with a 1959 Morris Minor) animal who wanted to cause you no harm.

How do you feel, now?  ;) :P               

albitz

« Reply #94 on: 19 May 2012, 00:38:33 »

I would agree with all of what Daz posted tbh. It was a very unfortunate incident,and Im afraid imo,it was handled very badly indeed. The result from my own point of view was a loss of respect for the admin team,which I find very sad,as previously I held them in high regard.
I too remember with great fondness the nights of almost laughing myself sick from the antics on OOF,and its sad to think they are gone.That side of the forum has been in decline for quite a long time imo,but for me (and I know for other long standing members) the handling of the aforementioned incident was almost the final nail in the coffin.The atmosphere has been very frosty ever since.The result of taking the easy options rather than doing what was right ?
Im now at the point where it wouldnt really bother me too much if TB decided to pull the plug tomorrow.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2012, 00:51:39 by Albs »

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 19 May 2012, 00:41:27 »

I have been on here for over 5 years and used to love getting on here every night, many times crying with laughter. Could not wait to get on the following night. Some reading this will probably laugh but its true.
The Meets brilliant fun. The same people always go, I could write down now who will go to each meet... there will be the odd new face but as a rule the same people go. So we all get to know each other well, some better than others as friendships strike up.
To me if certain people did not start the laughter or banter whatever you want to call it... it never happens.

As for the trouble with Ljay & myself that to me was not the problem. It was Jimbob's banning of me for saying two words, "Boring" on the open forum which Ljay herself has said on numerous occasions, then "Y awn" in answer to a PM I recieved from Ljay.
Then the way the Admin Team went about sorting it. It seemed to drag on and on almost coming over as they really didn't care anyway.

What the Admin Team did seem to miss was the fact several people did feel strongly (and still do) about what happened, but weren't aloud to voice their opinions without getting their posts deleted etc... this then caused more unrest. I was rather hurt to say the least and decided to hit the Delete your account button.

To add to that.
Ljay had apparently upset people before so why ban her then?  why not before ? to be fair that hardly seemed right.....
I do however think Jimbob should have been stripped for his Banning in favour of his wife, then also to be found out that he had been letting his wife read the Admin Area.. and yet still get away Scott Free if you like.... ???
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 19 May 2012, 04:16:01 »

I dont get online much these days and that's no reflection of thie site or events no so recently passed either, purely a temporary geographical issue I am having right now.  Otherwise I would do my daily dealing of banter, or at least try.

But that's what I feel is missing, previously a laugh could be had at our own or each other's expense.  The mantle of who's turn it was moved around.  Nowadays I feel people are too apprehensive of upsetting others on here.  I have typed many a reply on a thread in he last 12 months only to hover over the post button and never click it, purely because of the way it would be perceived by others.

There is a hangover from recent and previous events which I feel contribute to this effect, not all from the same person but certainly often from the same people.  There was an element of jumping on bandwagons instead of the Live and Let Die attitude of just get on with it.

In the end everyone has a different thickness of skin, and can be emotive about some subjects more than others.  And yes I look introspecively at that comment.  But if there was a general undersanding that GDA is a place for piss taking as much as infomed chat which was written in to the terms and conditions/rules, maybe then people would understand that you everyone can contributethere  but dont be upset if you get a little friendly banter in the process.

And in typical mititary tradition, I only take the piss out of or wind up people I like..... prett sure I'm not the only one.

I dunno, just my tuppence (and 40% of my daily internet allowance)

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 19 May 2012, 06:40:46 »

I wasn't going to post on this thread again but...

To people who think there are "Cliques" on here, I suppose that could be perceived that way. I have made some very good friendships and see members from here quite often by either them or us making the effort to travel and see each other (generally some 250 odd mile round trip) ;) The breakers on here could also be conceived as a "Clique" because they have struck up a relationship, see each other regularly (again, by making the effort to travel and see each other) and share jokes that some of us (me included) have no idea what they're about. That's the way of the world!

I've made some very good friendships on here and many more good acquaintances and if OOF folded tomorrow I'd still be in touch with many of them ;)

Like "Real Life", you get out of this forum proportionately to what you put in ;)

But, all that said, I stand by what I said... I'm sure things will pick up in a few weeks when the big meets start and the weather improves :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

paul.lovejoy

• Omega Baron
  • Ramsgate Kent
    • wife mad 2.6 cd estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 19 May 2012, 07:21:09 »

I dont get online much these days and that's no reflection of thie site or events no so recently passed either, purely a temporary geographical issue I am having right now.  Otherwise I would do my daily dealing of banter, or at least try.

But that's what I feel is missing, previously a laugh could be had at our own or each other's expense.  The mantle of who's turn it was moved around.  Nowadays I feel people are too apprehensive of upsetting others on here.  I have typed many a reply on a thread in he last 12 months only to hover over the post button and never click it, purely because of the way it would be perceived by others.

There is a hangover from recent and previous events which I feel contribute to this effect, not all from the same person but certainly often from the same people.  There was an element of jumping on bandwagons instead of the Live and Let Die attitude of just get on with it.

In the end everyone has a different thickness of skin, and can be emotive about some subjects more than others.  And yes I look introspecively at that comment.  But if there was a general undersanding that GDA is a place for piss taking as much as infomed chat which was written in to the terms and conditions/rules, maybe then people would understand that you everyone can contributethere  but dont be upset if you get a little friendly banter in the process.

And in typical mititary tradition, I only take the piss out of or wind up people I like..... prett sure I'm not the only one.

I dunno, just my tuppence (and 40% of my daily internet allowance)

spot on fluffer and Daz ref banter oh yes and Albs........these are all long standing members that would have tears rolling down my face amongst others..even that scotts fella whats his name oh yes dundee he was funny now and again :o.

The technicall issues answers help etc just amaze me not a site like it without paying top dollar etc

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #99 on: 19 May 2012, 07:40:25 »

It is a CLIQUE  just look at the people who reply and agree with each other on this thread :(

Methinks your definition of "Clique" may be incorrect .... from my dictionary ..

"Clique : A small group of people with shared interests, who spend time together and exclude others."

I have not seen ANYONE, in ANYWAY, excluded from any part of OOF, if you wish to participate you are free to do so, and you have already done so .. hence .. no "clique" exists.

Don't be so bloody pedantic, you know exactly what I mean and so do alot of others. This is the problem  you are paly, paly with your pals :(
You reply to me this time but ignore my previous post on this topic ::)

I wasnt going to post in this thread.......but this sums up whats wrong with OOF imo...

Silly little squabbles..... :(

hercules

• Omega Knight
  • sunnyudders
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 19 May 2012, 07:59:21 »

To add to that.
Ljay had apparently upset people before so why ban her then?  why not before ? to be fair that hardly seemed right.....
I do however think Jimbob should have been stripped for his Banning in favour of his wife, then also to be found out that he had been letting his wife read the Admin Area.. and yet still get away Scott Free if you like.... ???
totally agree daz and i think that it didnt happen annoyed folk,i made a few light hearted jokes at the time that i believe ljay would have chuckled to or replied back with a joke but jimbob took it upon himself to act in her favour and delete my post and then pm me and make me feel like a little boy being told off by his dad(the way he worded them)

feeutfo

« Reply #101 on: 19 May 2012, 08:22:49 »

The LJay situation should never have been allowed to develop to the extent that it did. Her contributions where disruptive from way before. Something no other member would ever have got away with. A very difficult situation to handle without up setting the otherwise very content status quo. A fact she knew all too well, played on massively, and got away with time and time again. Presumably we where all hoping that someone, anyone, would deal with it somehow. It never happened and here we are.
There's very little been said here I don't agree with, except possibly the clique thing, although I can see where people are coming from to an extent with that one.

Thing is, whats done is done. What to do about it...? :)

feeutfo

« Reply #102 on: 19 May 2012, 08:23:59 »

And should have added in there somewhere, it's very easy being wise after the event sitting here.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2012, 08:25:57 by chrisgixer »

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 19 May 2012, 08:57:01 »

Personally I think the forum has not been as much fun as it used to be well before the Daz/Ljay incident. I said to TB a while back that I think the helpful spirit of the forum changed when people like myself started charging for work to be done on Omegas which has all but put an end to cambelt parties. The cambelt parties were a great place for people to put names to faces which would then encourage more people to the Lakes and Newent, it also helps when your having a bit of banter on the forum because you know the person you are having the banter with so they are less likely to take offence.

I know I might be cutting my own throat here because since loosing my job the Omega money is my only income but its what I think has changed the forum :-\
Retired

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 19 May 2012, 09:08:42 »

Personally I think the forum has not been as much fun as it used to be well before the Daz/Ljay incident. I said to TB a while back that I think the helpful spirit of the forum changed when people like myself started charging for work to be done on Omegas which has all but put an end to cambelt parties. The cambelt parties were a great place for people to put names to faces which would then encourage more people to the Lakes and Newent, it also helps when your having a bit of banter on the forum because you know the person you are having the banter with so they are less likely to take offence.

I know I might be cutting my own throat here because since loosing my job the Omega money is my only income but its what I think has changed the forum :-\

You could be right, although in my mind, there's nothing wrong with charging for work done, giving someone a bung for something you can't do youself, or helping a mate out for free, it's your choice in the end, it would cost far more to take an Omega to a garage, with no guarantee as to what had been done, or if it had been done correctly.

The last cambelt meet (at Timbucks place) was probably the best meet ever in my opinion.

I can still see TB trying to get out of that mobile toilet ;D

Everybody wanted to help everybody.
I like red cars
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 49   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 21 queries.