Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.5 V6 - Juddering and poor MPG  (Read 3391 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: 2.5 V6 - Juddering and poor MPG
« Reply #30 on: 16 March 2009, 23:09:40 »

I don't think 1 and 5 will be paired. 1&4, 2&5, 3&6 IIRC.

Unless the leads have been switched round, of course.

.. and if chrisgixxer got a belt off one of the leads it indicates it's in less than perfect condition, IMHO.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

2am Omega

• London Heathrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 16 March 2009, 23:17:16 »

Please explain your comments about the HT leads. Are you wondering if the plugs #1 and #5 have been switched round? (Sorry I typed that in response to lpgelite before I saw your post, Kevin).

I will try to locate HT leads and Dis Pack from a breakers .. unless I receive advice to the contrary.

The plugs were replaced yesterday with Bosch 520 FR91X Super 4 which I was told were the source for Vauxhall plugs.

« Last Edit: 16 March 2009, 23:22:37 by 2am »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 16 March 2009, 23:23:40 »

Please explain your comments about the HT leads. Are you wondering if the plugs #1 and #5 have been switched round?

The coil pack contains 3 separate coils which fire 2 cylinders each, spearated by 360 degrees of crank rotation. Normally, one of these coils will fail before the others so if you observed cylinders 1 and 4 missing, for example, it would be clear that the corresponding coil had failed.

1 and 5 don't share a coil though. :-/

I think exchanging the leads and coil pack is a good plan.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

feeutfo

« Reply #33 on: 16 March 2009, 23:26:34 »

As said on Sunday, if it was me, i would put a complaint in to Vosa. Or at least contacat them re the complaints procedure. If your an AA member i would be in touch with them for an independent report. Thing is, most issues will be hard to prove, but the rear shock is fairly cast iron proof imho, if you have the receipt for the shock and labour for fitting it.

For info, the car has a Monroe shock fitted, it is not self levelling. The air pipe has been cable tied up to the fuel filter and left to vent freely. The other is standard self level and working fine all be itwith the air pipe stretched tight with no slack.

Result is about 2.5 inches difference in ride hight between the rear wheels. The car has presumably passed the MOT in this state. When 2am followed me to my house, i could see that the car was not level from my rear view mirror.

In all honesty i was more concerned with the rough running when 2am arrived, having seen the shock and the rear box I am very suspicious. 2am also sounds like he was over charged for the Brakes fitted.
Will post all pics taken in a mo if the lapy ever fires up.

feeutfo

« Reply #34 on: 17 March 2009, 00:14:29 »

link to all pics taken
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1237248586/0#0
Ps. you can see some chafeing on the vac pipes above the HT leads on the first 2 pics. A closer look revealed some holes,these where teped up. However there may be more

Unfortunately we ran out of time.  :(
« Last Edit: 17 March 2009, 00:22:14 by chrisgixer »

feeutfo

« Reply #35 on: 17 March 2009, 00:28:33 »

Please explain your comments about the HT leads. Are you wondering if the plugs #1 and #5 have been switched round?

The coil pack contains 3 separate coils which fire 2 cylinders each, spearated by 360 degrees of crank rotation. Normally, one of these coils will fail before the others so if you observed cylinders 1 and 4 missing, for example, it would be clear that the corresponding coil had failed.

1 and 5 don't share a coil though. :-/

I think exchanging the leads and coil pack is a good plan.

Kevin

might explane why the engine is not leeping around. If an opposing pair of cylinders has gone down the firing order will still be balanced, a v4 for instance. Or a v2 perhaps.

« Last Edit: 17 March 2009, 00:29:16 by chrisgixer »

2am Omega

• London Heathrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 17 March 2009, 01:05:03 »

Thanks Chris ..

If that was the explanation would you expect the loss of power and fuel consumption to be even worse? And the engine to be almost skipping?

Anyway it looks like extra confirmation that I definitely need to change the HT leads and Dis Pack, as planned.
« Last Edit: 17 March 2009, 01:08:56 by 2am »

feeutfo

« Reply #37 on: 17 March 2009, 01:14:49 »

Thanks Chris ..

If that was the explanation would you expect the loss of power and fuel consumption to be even worse? And the engine to be almost skipping?

It looks like extra confirmation that I definitely need to change the HT leads and Dis Pack, as planned.

Yep,add in the loss of vac to multi rams, and it will struggle....

makes sense to do the cam cover gaskits and breathers at the same time, access to dis will be much easier when plenum is off.

2am Omega

• London Heathrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 17 March 2009, 01:31:26 »

I'm concerned this is becoming quite a long shopping list ..

- replace HT Leads
- replace Dis Pack
- replace Cam Cover Gaskets and Breathers
- replace Vacuum System Elbow and other parts
- replace Exhaust
- replace Rear Self-Levelling Shock Absorber
- Full Service
- Cambelt and Tensioners due soon

That's just a quick list .. Are there any other issues to deal with?

How much will all that cost?

Is it justifiable on a 12 year old car with 134k miles worth only a few hundred pounds, even after repairs?

« Last Edit: 17 March 2009, 01:35:35 by 2am »

feeutfo

« Reply #39 on: 17 March 2009, 09:19:12 »

I'm concerned this is becoming quite a long shopping list ..

- replace HT Leads a 25
- replace Dis Pack 35
- replace Cam Cover Gaskets and Breathers 60
- replace Vacuum System Elbow and other parts ? -10?
- replace Exhaust   - 90 maybe see how it goes.
- replace Rear Self-Levelling Shock Absorber- fit non sl pair and remove pump fuse 50
- Full Service fluids and filters - 40
- Cambelt and Tensioners due soon -  90 genuine on tc can be had for less on e bay, need part numbers.

That's just a quick list .. Are there any other issues to deal with?

How much will all that cost?

Is it justifiable on a 12 year old car with 134k miles worth only a few hundred pounds, even after repairs?

Depends if you can buy another car with no faults for less than the price of the parts and fitting?

When was belt last done and at what mileage ?

2am Omega

• London Heathrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 17 March 2009, 10:09:19 »

I'm not sure when the cambelt was changed. It has not been done during the last 18k miles over the 44 months of my ownership.

I heard that it should be done after 40k miles or 4 years, whichever comes first. Is that correct?
« Last Edit: 17 March 2009, 11:33:11 by 2am »

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 17 March 2009, 13:49:57 »

That is correct 40k or four years. Mine is due on age shortly.

It is worth getting the water pump done at the same time if it hasn't been changed for a while . About £30 for the pump and a tenner for new anti freeze.

El Varche
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

mkaminski100

• Basingstoke
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 17 March 2009, 14:30:46 »

Three more things I would advise to check:
-Cambelt settings Set the crank in proper position (mark on pulley with mark on the oil pump), undo 2 bolts on the cover and check if marks on cam shaft pulleys are lined with cover marks.
-System voltage (one car was going crazy when hot – it was charging 14-17V)
-EGR valve (undo and clean it)

2am Omega

• London Heathrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 17 March 2009, 16:57:04 »

Just back from buying car parts from breaker .. Steve at OmegaSpareParts .. friendly chap. I now have ..

- HT Lead set
- Dis Pack
- Vacuum System Tank + elbows

Thanks guys for other suggestions. I will highlight those to Chrisgixer who is helping me.

I need to move forward cautiously .. circumstances mean I need to minimise costs .. so first priority is to ensure that the juddering and fuel consumption problems have been resolved before incurring further significant costs .. but other checks and maintenance also needs to be done, perhaps at the same time.

Would you agree with this approach? Order of priorities?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 17 March 2009, 17:07:53 »

I would give those parts a try before worrying about anything else. The likelihood is that it's the coil pack or leads, IMHO. If that doesn't clear it we can have another think.

Kevin
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 21 queries.