Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: auto box pipes to radiator banjo torque value  (Read 2153 times)

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • 2.6 CD Saloon 2ltr omega
    • View Profile
auto box pipes to radiator banjo torque value
« on: 17 February 2019, 19:28:27 »

Can anybody tell me the torque for the gearbox pipe banjo to radiator on a 02 2.6? Also can the same O ring be used? Last question can the bagpipes including vac tank come out as one, once the two black vac pipes that goto back of engine are undone?

Thanks
Addy
Drives 1995 2.0ltr CD Estate.  2002 2.6 CD saloon

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: auto box pipes to radiator banjo torque value
« Reply #1 on: 17 February 2019, 20:17:51 »

Not listed in Haynes? Finger tight plus a half to three quarter turn :-\

Yes to bagpipes Q :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 February 2019, 21:27:47 »

Thank you. I have probably missed it for the torque. Is the O ring reuseable.

Addy

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 February 2019, 21:32:33 »

Thank you. I have probably missed it for the torque. Is the O ring reuseable.

Probably, if it hasn't been done up monstrously tight in the past.

As for the bagpipes, I find it much easier and slightly quicker to fit the lower plastic plenum with the AFM to the car around the radiator hose, then fit the multi-rams and finally attach the two rubber hoses to the throttle body. A flexible driver for the Jubilee clips makes this much easier, and costing about £5 should be in your toolbox.

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 February 2019, 16:39:20 »

fitted new rad, but the O rings in the gearbox pipes to rad banjo have had it. Does anyone know the dimensions for them, or where I can get them from, need it sorted by Friday at the latest as moving from Scotland to Darlington?

Thanks

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 February 2019, 17:08:55 »

fitted new rad, but the O rings in the gearbox pipes to rad banjo have had it. Does anyone know the dimensions for them, or where I can get them from, need it sorted by Friday at the latest as moving from Scotland to Darlington?

Thanks

If you have one of the old ones  to hand  . . .take it to a local plumbing shop . .where they should have a box of O rings of all dimensions .   As I recall the ones you need are about 8mm in diameter .

Thickness & diameter can be gauged once you see what is in the tray of many sizes  ;)

Myself I would still order the correct ones from GM as a permanent fix,  as what material they are made from must be important .  Some are black , some are green & some blue I recall .

But this suggestion should get you at least a temporary fix  ;) ;)
« Last Edit: 18 February 2019, 17:10:32 by Alnico Blue »
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 February 2019, 17:42:20 »

Thanks

o rings or sealing washers? They're not the same!

Banjo bolts use two soft washers to seal; one under the bolt head, the other goes between the banjo and the part. They'll be either copper or aluminium, either will do in this application.
You might find a suitable size on the shelf in Halfords, but ANY motor factors or hydraulic/pneumatic/bearing/fastener supplier will have a selection and sell them for a few pence each. The last ones I 'bought' cost some chabge in their charity pot.

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 February 2019, 19:44:17 »

Thanks

Was thinking he meant  the two   O rings  in the alloy cooler pipe  fitting on top of the rad .

Where is the "banjo" he means then when doing a rad change  . . .mind you this is 4 pot stuff, so different tom what Im used to. :-\ :-\ :-\

Banjo bolts use two soft washers to seal; one under the bolt head, the other goes between the banjo and the part. They'll be either copper or aluminium, either will do in this application.
You might find a suitable size on the shelf in Halfords, but ANY motor factors or hydraulic/pneumatic/bearing/fastener supplier will have a selection and sell them for a few pence each. The last ones I 'bought' cost some chabge in their charity pot.
« Last Edit: 18 February 2019, 19:46:04 by Alnico Blue »
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 February 2019, 20:28:42 »

Thanks

Was thinking he meant  the two   O rings  in the alloy cooler pipe  fitting on top of the rad .

Where is the "banjo" he means then when doing a rad change  . . .mind you this is 4 pot stuff, so different tom what Im used to. :-\ :-\ :-\

Where did I get that this was a 4 pot he was talking about  :-[ :-[  Too much Magners watching footie.

I am as confused as Addy is  . . . .where is the Banjo he is talking about on a V6 then ?

I am aware of 2  small o rings in the fitting where the oil cooler pipes come over the top of the rad , but cannot think where this "Banjo" is he is talking about   ??? ???

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 February 2019, 20:42:51 »

It is the 2 small o rings in the fitting where the gearbox cooler pipes come over the top of the rad, to the rad in the middle. The ones I meant are circled, the parts dept. bloke at local vauxhall called it a banjo. He said the 2 O rings are no longer available. It is a 2.6ltr

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 February 2019, 21:34:21 »

Yeah, they're O rings.  :-[

But you can buy them in exactly the same way, from the same sort of supplier as sealing washers. You'll have to seriously annoy the counter man to have to pay for two of them :)

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 February 2019, 04:37:32 »

It is the 2 small o rings in the fitting where the gearbox cooler pipes come over the top of the rad, to the rad in the middle. The ones I meant are circled, the parts dept. bloke at local vauxhall called it a banjo. He said the 2 O rings are no longer available. It is a 2.6ltr

Ah . . .VX parts dept  . . .  .that explains it      Banjo my arse  ::) ::)

As said earlier  . . .plumbing shop would be my first call . . .take one of the old ones to size up .

Glad we got you there in the end  :y :y
« Last Edit: 19 February 2019, 04:40:13 by Alnico Blue »

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 February 2019, 09:03:17 »

When I fitted my radiator last summer I had a similar issue with 1 of the black 0 rings being split.

Just put a liberal smear of black cam sealant around pipe union and refitted it.Hasnt leaked since and doudt it will until it next gets disturbed.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 February 2019, 17:33:16 »

Something like THIS is useful.

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 February 2019, 18:10:57 »

Bought a small mixed box of them from toolstation for £2.17  Product code: 53005 Pack size: 85 Piece. There was a size that fitted, so all sorted.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.