Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wiring loom through to boot wire broke yet again  (Read 1808 times)

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • Omega 2.2i CD manual 2003
    • View Profile
Wiring loom through to boot wire broke yet again
« on: 21 June 2017, 11:19:53 »

I find myself yet again repairing the wiring loom through to the boot. Re-soldering in a short pieces of wire to fix the problem. But its happening far to often.

Is there a more permanent solution? What does it involve and would would I need to buy?

Thanks

Andy

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
Re: Wiring loom through to boot wire broke yet again
« Reply #1 on: 21 June 2017, 12:16:45 »

i assume you mean the wires to the lid that come up by the left hinge ? . all due as you know to the constant bending / straightening due to opening / closing lid.there are a few options to this. replacing all the wires in one go or as you are doing replacing them as they fail.depanding on how much slack there is and wether the wires have hardened with age you could also try to pull through from one side and into the other if that makes sense to make the bend area on a fresh bit of the loom.or to make the bend radius less if possible ?

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 June 2017, 14:40:20 »

i assume you mean the wires to the lid that come up by the left hinge ? . all due as you know to the constant bending / straightening due to opening / closing lid.there are a few options to this. replacing all the wires in one go or as you are doing replacing them as they fail.depanding on how much slack there is and wether the wires have hardened with age you could also try to pull through from one side and into the other if that makes sense to make the bend area on a fresh bit of the loom.or to make the bend radius less if possible ?

Yes thats the ones.

The wires have hardened with age looking at them.

If I replaced the wire from just inside the lid to inside the wing what gauge wire would I need to order and what size sleeving?

Thanks 
« Last Edit: 21 June 2017, 14:55:40 by Andy A »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 June 2017, 15:00:02 »

Buy a tow bar loom and use that :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 June 2017, 15:14:00 »

Al, can you suggest a tow bar loom with the correct diameter to fit into the plastic loom holder that fixes to the hinge?

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 June 2017, 15:34:03 »

I've just been looking and can't find a pic anywhere of the omega boot wiring, but I suspect its the same problem that afflicted a number of Saab 9-5 saloons - IE the wires pass from the body of the car to the boot lid through some flexibile concertina'd rubber hose. The hose flexes when you open and close the boot, but the wires eventually fatigue and break.

If so, then you may be able to make a modified version of the fix which saab implemented under warranty on some of the saloons. The basic premise was that you cut the flexi section in half and add a rigid piece of tubing in the middle. This had the effect of making the one 90 degree bend into 2 x 45, which stressed the wires much less.

As always, a picture paints a thousand words and I will try to find one...

The downside to this method is that you have to cut and lengthen all the wires going into the boot (Saab did a modified loom iirc) but tbh it sounds like you're pretty much doing that anyway  ;)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 June 2017, 15:41:40 »

Alternatively, In a similar vein to Al's suggestion, replacing with wires that have a high number of thin strands may give you improved longevity. Speaker wire possibly?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 June 2017, 16:49:36 »

Al, can you suggest a tow bar loom with the correct diameter to fit into the plastic loom holder that fixes to the hinge?
Cable tie it ;)

When I say towbar loom, I envisage summat like this...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-Pin-Trailer-Light-Board-Extension-Cable-Lead-1-2m-Male-To-Male-Wire-Caravan-/182012385001?hash=item2a60c896e9:g:~88AAOSwzhVWskvf

If you need more than seven wires, get the 13 pin version ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 June 2017, 16:57:53 »

also another mod once you have decided which route you plan on is to somehow fix the cable as it comes out of the boot lid farther across towards the middle and then back on itself.this will give the cable more of a gentle twist idea as the lid opens and closes rather  than a definate bend.i think you will get what i mean.the longer the loop back the better it will be. same as the ideal years ago of people putting speaker wires across from door pillars to doors.eventually they snap but bringthem out of pillar a good two or three inches above where they go back in and they last forever !
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.