Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: explain please.  (Read 2118 times)

pauls

• Omega Baron
  • By the sea minehead
    • Bmw x3
    • View Profile
explain please.
« on: 17 December 2017, 20:01:59 »

I run a 2004 1.8 turbo with a cvt box. Now i cannot seem to get the claimed 190hp out of it for example go to over take and it just  does not pickup it just seems to gain speed. My old 2.6 omega with same hp or less still picked up a lot better from say 40mph upwards.
The car is fully serviced and has no issues, so could somebody who drives or has driven a petrol turbo car explain to me the best way of using the engine/turbo. The gear box is cvt which i know means it doesnt have gears as such. I now drive a lot of A roads here in somerset and the bloody tractors are doing my head in >:(

STEMO

Re: explain please.
« Reply #1 on: 17 December 2017, 20:15:43 »

Sounds like you’ve got turbo lag........a lot of turbo lag.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 December 2017, 20:21:18 »

. I now drive a lot of A roads here in somerset and the bloody tractors are doing my head in >:(

Welcome to the country!  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Lincs Robert

« Reply #3 on: 17 December 2017, 20:22:18 »

I had a 2008 A4 1.8T, manual, for a while. It was gutless and drank fuel. Superb seats though .....

aaronjb

« Reply #4 on: 18 December 2017, 09:20:08 »

With a CVT box, AFAIK, all you can do is mash the pedal - someone else (the person who designed the gearbox) has already decided what is "best".

There'll also be no "pick up" as it'll never 'drop a cog'..

I thought there was only really Nissan still persevering with CVTs these days?

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 December 2017, 12:45:21 »

Audi multitornic? Not sure if they're still a thing, cant think of much else...

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 December 2017, 13:48:23 »

How many miles has this contraption done ?

pauls

• Omega Baron
  • By the sea minehead
    • Bmw x3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 December 2017, 16:02:10 »

How many miles has this contraption done ?

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 December 2017, 16:52:45 »

I have driven a lot of Audi's with the CVT / Multitronic setups, and in my opinion, they are a horrible gearbox. I think they were just fitted to the two wheel versions - gearboxes in Quattro models responded totally differently. CVT gearboxes are like driving a dodgem! They feel very unresponsive, and the lack of a noticeable gear change doesn't give the impression that the car is doing anything when accelerating. I bought a few Audi's 10-15 years ago, and I avoided the CVT transmission because of the poor driving experience it offered (in my opinion!)
It is also imperative that the gearbox oil is changed religiously at 40k, otherwise the gearbox will soon need major surgery. This oil change isn't specifically highlighted in the service schedule, so was frequently missed if being done outside the Audi network, but when they were still in warranty, Audi were rejecting many warranty claims for gearbox issues if this oil change had not been done at 40k.
The Audi tiptronic is a good solid box, and drives like a conventional gearbox (like an Omega with a positive / distinct change). The S tronic box has lightening quick changes, which are still noticeable (a combination of the engine note, and the quick flick of the rev counter!) and I think is more suited to performance models.
I think the symptoms you are describing are typical of the CVT box, unfortunately.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 December 2017, 18:34:49 »

With a CVT box, AFAIK, all you can do is mash the pedal - someone else (the person who designed the gearbox) has already decided what is "best".

There'll also be no "pick up" as it'll never 'drop a cog'..

Had an old fiat punto with cvt box in last year. There was a terrible leak from the canister oil filter on the box (first I've ever seen with a canister). We said it sounded awful even when topped up with fresh fluid and the box was more than likely fubard. Lady insisted we try a new filter to cure the leak. Fiat wanted something criminal and would have to wait ten years. Got one off eBay at 50 quid (cheapest out there). Fitted it. Still sounded dreadful. Though unbelievably it's still running on the same box. Explain that cos I can't 😂😂😂
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 December 2017, 19:10:08 »

Had an old fiat punto with cvt box in last year. There was a terrible leak from the canister oil filter on the box (first I've ever seen with a canister). We said it sounded awful even when topped up with fresh fluid and the box was more than likely fubard. Lady insisted we try a new filter to cure the leak. Fiat wanted something criminal and would have to wait ten years. Got one off eBay at 50 quid (cheapest out there). Fitted it. Still sounded dreadful. Though unbelievably it's still running on the same box. Explain that cos I can't 😂😂😂

Simple: CVTs are horrible to drive no matter what they're fitted to. They feel like a terminally slipping clutch, and sound like a dying cow.

You might want to try an automated manual Sprinter: that feels like the entire drivetrain is connected with knackered bungee straps. Which create a nasty lurch every time it changes up, and a worrying bang on down changes.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 December 2017, 19:42:42 »

Simple: CVTs are horrible to drive no matter what they're fitted to. They feel like a terminally slipping clutch, and sound like a dying cow.

You might want to try an automated manual Sprinter: that feels like the entire drivetrain is connected with knackered bungee straps. Which create a nasty lurch every time it changes up, and a worrying bang on down changes.
Much like the two MANs at work... marginally smoother in manual mode, but pulling up to a stop from 20 mph produces one of three results: 1. it stops smoothly, 2. it bounces uncontrollably as the ecu tries (and fails) to compensate for the gearbox forgetting to drop from 8th, 3. It stalls as an alternative response to option 2 ::)

And as the gear lever is essentially a switch on the steering column, it changes up and down with all the urgency of a dead sloth.
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.