Omega Help Area > Omega General Help

Front wishbone bush replacement

(1/17) > >>

Lizzie Zoom:
I need to replace both my front wishbone bushes.  How hard is it to do please?

I have read somewhere it can be easier, and cheaper overall, to replace the wishbones complete with bushes already fitted.  Is that true?

Thanks ;)

TheBoy:
Which bushes have failed?

If just the front bushes, consider poly, then you never need to do them again.

If rears, and GM wishbones, I'd press genuine bushes in - far better than the major of pattern wishbones out there from a longevity point of view. Remember the most expensive part if the geometry setup afterwards.

amba:
Poly fronts are about £70 a pair now and will last the cars life.I was sceptical when mine were fitted as thought it would be to severe but they work well and take the car where you point it .

Backs are around £20 but will either require some engineering with studding to remove and refit or a big press and a few quid in the garages coffee pot.

After fitting alignment is essential and should cost around £ 60/£70...place near MacDonalds off A2070 do it think they are called Tyre Pro or similar.

Doing it yourself then ?

Lizzie Zoom:

--- Quote from: TheBoy on 16 September 2018, 19:24:46 ---Which bushes have failed?

If just the front bushes, consider poly, then you never need to do them again.

If rears, and GM wishbones, I'd press genuine bushes in - far better than the major of pattern wishbones out there from a longevity point of view. Remember the most expensive part if the geometry setup afterwards.

--- End quote ---

Thanks TB :y

That is an interesting question. The MOT advisory on the MOT Certificate only stated "suspension arm rubber bush deterioration but not resulting in excessive movement....." for both o/s and n/s front.

But I have been working on the document printed by the dealer giving a run down on the individual main testing points, and this states "wishbone front rubber deteriorating" for both n/s and o/s.

I have just noticed the difference and I am confused!!  My Vx dealer gave me a quote on the day based on replacing the wishbone bushes, but I am now left wondering  ::) ::)

Would there be a difference between the two discriptions please? ;)

Lizzie Zoom:

--- Quote from: amba on 16 September 2018, 19:41:12 ---Poly fronts are about £70 a pair now and will last the cars life.I was sceptical when mine were fitted as thought it would be to severe but they work well and take the car where you point it .

Backs are around £20 but will either require some engineering with studding to remove and refit or a big press and a few quid in the garages coffee pot.

After fitting alignment is essential and should cost around £ 60/£70...place near MacDonalds off A2070 do it think they are called Tyre Pro or similar.

Doing it yourself then ?

--- End quote ---

Thanks. :y

Not sure yet but, yes it is Protyre previouly Tyreweb, have quoted £180 but cannot supply poly bushes. The Vx dealer has quoted £231, with TC, with genuine parts.

But, if others confirm that it is straight forward to do the front bushes then I might go down that route. The question is do I want to be crawling around on the floor, when I could just let the professionals take the strain. :D ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version