Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to join two satellite co oax cables?  (Read 1971 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
How to join two satellite co oax cables?
« on: 30 May 2007, 12:59:08 »

Hi folks

An easy question I am sure.

I want to join together two lengths of satellite co ax cable so that we can watch sat TV in another room. Is there an adaptor available to do this? Something that will screww into the normal metal connectors on each end?

If there is, is there something that can turn the connection through 180 degrees as Mrs olive isn't too keen on miles of cable looped everywhere. I currently have the second cable poking into the room parallel and alongside the one back to the dish. I can't make the connection anywhere else.

Thanks in advance before I go to the Spanish shops!

olive
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
Re: How to join two satellite co oax cables?
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2007, 13:10:16 »

Not so sure of the 180 degree bit, but you can get screw joining connectors from good hi-fi or TV shops, even a decent B&Q type place....

supermop

• Hoddesdon
  • User account problem.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2007, 13:16:57 »

Coaxial cable is all the same. Bit thicker on digital tv stuff though. Just buy 2 opposite connector ends (male and female) and fit them to the cable ends to join them up.

There is also a connector that will join 2 screw end plugs together if you can find one. Look in any hardware store or google search online.

Ronald_McBurger

« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2007, 13:19:55 »

Let me get this right. You have ONE dish and want to watch Satellite TV on TWO different TV's? You will need a dual LNB on the dish and TWO decoders/Sky boxes, otherwise you will just see the same picture on each.

Beware that the remotes for teh two sky boxes can interfere with each other if the rooms are too close and you can end up changing each others channels.

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2007, 13:38:43 »

Why not just get a sender/receiver setup?

I highly recommend the AEI Digisender. I have one to watch satellite/teresstial tv in the bedroom. Picture quality is perfect.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Digisender-DG200-Wireless-Video-Sener-System_W0QQitemZ260123320011QQihZ016QQcategoryZ109016QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
« Last Edit: 30 May 2007, 13:39:25 by admin »
The Administrator.

supermop

• Hoddesdon
  • User account problem.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2007, 13:46:25 »

Let me get this right. You have ONE dish and want to watch Satellite TV on TWO different TV's? You will need a dual LNB on the dish and TWO decoders/Sky boxes, otherwise you will just see the same picture on each.

Beware that the remotes for teh two sky boxes can interfere with each other if the rooms are too close and you can end up changing each others channels.

Alternatively, you can take a coax cable from the main digibox's RF output and wire it up to the second TV. That will get your sattelite + terrestrial signals up there, but you will be stuck watching whatever digital channel the digibox is on.
« Last Edit: 30 May 2007, 13:46:37 by supermop »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2007, 13:47:28 »

If you just want to relocate a single Sky box to another room (which I believe is what you meant) You just need a pair of "F" type connectors and an "F" type barrel to join them.

These are the plugs : http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&DOY=search&ModuleNo=10447&criteria=

And this is the barrel:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=26644&doy=30m5

The plugs just screw onto the ends of the coax once you've cut and stripped it. The centre conductor of the cable forms the connector pin.

If you want a second Sky box in another room, however, you will need a dual LNB on the dish. Alternatively, you can run the RF output from the Sky box into another room and get a little gadget that forwards remote control commands back to the main box, so you can still change channels, etc.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2007, 13:51:05 »

Hang on, sorry the wonders of English have failed me.

We actually do have a twin LNB and a digibox on one and a fairly rubbishy locally purchased box on the other. When we re built the end of the house I installed cable to the TV room. It appears at the wall socket near the power points. At the same time I put conduit to another room which is now our summer TV room as it doesn't get too hot. Both bits of co ax are poking out of the same hole in the wall. So it is just a case of joining the new wire onto the old and picking up the set top and Tv and moving rooms.

Those senders look pretty good. Might get one!

olive
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

megaomega123

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 June 2007, 12:53:29 »

The senders are very good, but be aware that if you have wireless enabled modem it runs on the same frequency and produces an annoying clicking with a horizontal fuzz.

Can you not just cut and shut the 2 ends of wire with an additional length of coax and some insulation tape?
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 June 2007, 13:57:35 »

The senders are very good, but be aware that if you have wireless enabled modem it runs on the same frequency and produces an annoying clicking with a horizontal fuzz. quote]

I found there was enough adjustment on the frquencies to have both wireless and the digisender working with no inteference at all. :)
The Administrator.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 June 2007, 14:03:45 »

Thanks for the suggestions. I have looked up and learnt a few suitable Spanish words and will head off to an electrical supplies shop next week to get something simple like Kevin Wood suggested.  :y

The shops here are all man and counter jobs. Not much opportunity to browse as everything is loose in the back!

olive

STMO123

« Reply #11 on: 02 June 2007, 18:10:05 »

They're the best type of shops. You can ask for fork andles :D

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 June 2007, 18:39:01 »

Why not see if one of the online component suppliers will ship out to you, Maplins has been suggested a quick look on their website may be easier than trudging round the shops and getting confused.
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

megaomega123

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 June 2007, 20:29:48 »

The senders are very good, but be aware that if you have wireless enabled modem it runs on the same frequency and produces an annoying clicking with a horizontal fuzz. quote]

I found there was enough adjustment on the frquencies to have both wireless and the digisender working with no inteference at all. :)

Really! Which model senders are you using? Is it adjustments on the router or the digisender? I have tried using the different channels but no joy  
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.