Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dual cct brakes - my A**e!  (Read 1076 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Dual cct brakes - my A**e!
« on: 24 August 2007, 13:20:42 »

Earlier this year we punctured a brake line on the Omega whilst towing a trailer load of logs. A particularly large rock was the cause and the fracture was under the car below the rear passenger area.

What interested me was after the first few applications of the brake pedal all braking was lost (apart from the handbrake and engine braking). Mrs olive was driving us at the time and safely got us home including a downhill section!

Whatever happened to dual cct brakes??!! e.g. Offside Front Nearside rear.  

olive
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Dual cct brakes - my A**e!
« Reply #1 on: 24 August 2007, 13:22:47 »

Earlier this year we punctured a brake line on the Omega whilst towing a trailer load of logs. A particularly large rock was the cause and the fracture was under the car below the rear passenger area.

What interested me was after the first few applications of the brake pedal all braking was lost (apart from the handbrake and engine braking). Mrs olive was driving us at the time and safely got us home including a downhill section!

Whatever happened to dual cct brakes??!! e.g. Offside Front Nearside rear.  

olive
The ABS on pre minifacelift (98) is only 3 channel, rather than 4 channel on later ones.
Grumpy old man

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 August 2007, 13:23:24 »

Might be dual circuit but there's only one reservoir.... when it's empty that's it.

RonaldMcBurger

« Reply #3 on: 24 August 2007, 13:24:14 »

You wazzuck! ;D

Dual circuit brakes yes. Indefinite supply of brake fluid with a hole in the syetem, NO!

Dual circuit means that when you get one circuit damaged, you can still stop safely. The circuits cross diagonally so you still have one front brake and one rear brake - FOR STOPPING THEN! Not for continued driving because, suprise suprise witha  hole in the system the fluid will drain out. It is for stopping just the once.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 August 2007, 13:51:53 »

You wazzuck! ;D

Dual circuit brakes yes. Indefinite supply of brake fluid with a hole in the syetem, NO!

Dual circuit means that when you get one circuit damaged, you can still stop safely. The circuits cross diagonally so you still have one front brake and one rear brake - FOR STOPPING THEN! Not for continued driving because, suprise suprise witha  hole in the system the fluid will drain out. It is for stopping just the once.

Exactly right....if you look at the master cylinder you will see two brake pipes which go to the ABS modulator.....each pipe comes from a single circuit in the master with a piston feeding each one from the brake pedal....

Hence dual cct......

familyman

• Intermediate Member
  • Sittingbourne, Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 August 2007, 14:09:26 »

You wazzuck! ;D

Exactly right....if you look at the master cylinder you will see two brake pipes which go to the ABS modulator.....each pipe comes from a single circuit in the master with a piston feeding each one from the brake pedal....

Hence dual cct......

But the reservoir is split in to 2 chambers as well, one chamber for each circuit off the master cylinder. so there should always be a supply for the circuit thats not split. What does happen is one of the two pistons stops moving fluid as the supply runs out in the master cylinder on the split circuit, So you'll still have brakes but the pedal will go pratically to the floor before one piston moves up against the other allowing it to manually push the other piston instead of having fluid between them (hydraulic action between them normally).  but as said the pedal will almost be on the floor boards before it works. But you will never totally lose braking unless both circuits have failed. Its for this reason handbrakes are crap. With dual circuit braking the handbrake just has to hold the car on an incline not stop the car!

The reason for this is due to the split n/s/f to o/s/r etc. If a high pedal was maintined so little discomfort to the driver whilst braking the car is inherantly unstable and the driver may leave it a long time or even to late in an accident to do anything about it. But with the pedal going almost to the floor the driver knows there is a fault and hopefully get it fixed.  Beleive me you would be suprised what :) state people will drive there cars in
You came in that, your braver than i thought

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 August 2007, 14:21:44 »

Quite right, Have been out and had a close look.

I like that last explanation, and that is exactly what happened to the brake pedal.

olive
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.