Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 3029871 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #13065 on: 31 August 2016, 11:39:27 »

No chance ::) For a start, that tyre black shite sprays the side of the car with black speckles... and for a fiver, you'll be lucky if they manage to completely clean a single panel... normally after letting them loose, I have to drive back
home and rewash the entire car >:(
Onanists always think outside the box.

neil74

• Intermediate Member
  • newport
    • 2.6 elite estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13066 on: 31 August 2016, 13:24:54 »

Got some suspension jobs done and now the old bugger has another years MOT.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13067 on: 31 August 2016, 20:51:59 »

Water pump let go this morning (only done 20k) on way to work  :'( 05.00, phone duty manager, they send workshop out to tow me in,  :y, water pump to fit when I get back, and buy, workshop foreman a coffee. :)

The offending pump was a wahler,which is OE, had done 20k, the bearings had collapsed, replaced with one from ecp £21.00,. :y
Hoof'land storeman.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13068 on: 01 September 2016, 09:00:17 »

Jesus!  :( That's a scary thought! (DBG now wondering if his water pump is a Wahler)  :D
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13069 on: 01 September 2016, 12:20:47 »

Had to get a balljoint back into the wishbone after it popped out. Thankfully on work premises at 2mph rather than at any speed !
May well post a seperate thread about this later, as I don't understand how it could happen.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13070 on: 01 September 2016, 12:32:19 »

Had to get a balljoint back into the wishbone after it popped out. Thankfully on work premises at 2mph rather than at any speed !
May well post a seperate thread about this later, as I don't understand how it could happen.

Simple, it's oppsed reached the end of its useful life. The ball and/or socket will be worn(dirt is the usual cause) or just worn-out. Reassembling the joint should be considered a temporary fix to move the car somewhere you can fit a new one.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13071 on: 01 September 2016, 13:04:03 »

Water pump let go this morning (only done 20k) on way to work  :'( 05.00, phone duty manager, they send workshop out to tow me in,  :y, water pump to fit when I get back, and buy, workshop foreman a coffee. :)

The offending pump was a wahler,which is OE, had done 20k, the bearings had collapsed, replaced with one from ecp £21.00,. :y
Where was it sourced from?
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13072 on: 01 September 2016, 13:05:23 »

Dumped it at airport, picked up a non descript shitbox this end. Kia I think.
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13073 on: 01 September 2016, 13:08:30 »

Simple, it's oppsed reached the end of its useful life. The ball and/or socket will be worn(dirt is the usual cause) or just worn-out. Reassembling the joint should be considered a temporary fix to move the car somewhere you can fit a new one.

It was fitted, brand new a month ago. I can only think that I didn't tighten the pinch bolt enough, but it seemed pretty tight this morning whenI undone it to refit the balljoint into the strut.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13074 on: 01 September 2016, 13:44:56 »

It was fitted, brand new a month ago. I can only think that I didn't tighten the pinch bolt enough, but it seemed pretty tight this morning whenI undone it to refit the balljoint into the strut.

That's not quite what your first post suggested ::)

The pin needs to be far enough into the hub carrier for the pinchbolt to align with groove. The shoulder of the bolt needs to be straight and correctly sized if it isn't original. And it needs to be tightened correctly.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13075 on: 01 September 2016, 13:55:27 »

If the pin isn't far enough in, I don't think the bolt will go into the hub.  :-\ The bolt is original, and as tight as I can get it, with the restricted access.
Drove the car home (gently), and now have a week off work, so intend to disamantle both sides and not drive it again until I'm certain all is as it should be. For that to happen at motorway speed, doesn't bear thinking about.

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #13076 on: 01 September 2016, 13:59:39 »

Fitted the oe battery gauge and oil pressure gauge "white dials" in dash centre console . Got it for pennies of egay  :o
Omegatitis

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13077 on: 01 September 2016, 14:06:37 »

If the pin isn't far enough in, I don't think the bolt will go into the hub.  :-\ The bolt is original, and as tight as I can get it, with the restricted access.
Drove the car home (gently), and now have a week off work, so intend to disamantle both sides and not drive it again until I'm certain all is as it should be. For that to happen at motorway speed, doesn't bear thinking about.

Every balljoint failure I recovered happened during low speed maneuvering. That's especially fun in multi-storey carparks.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #13078 on: 01 September 2016, 14:08:31 »

Fitted the oe battery gauge and oil pressure gauge "white dials" in dash centre console . Got it for pennies of egay  :o

99 of them we assume?  ;D  Pics please!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13079 on: 01 September 2016, 14:30:16 »

Every balljoint failure I recovered happened during low speed maneuvering. That's especially fun in multi-storey carparks.

Ive heard that said before too, although I cant explain why, apart from in the case of old Mercedes where its usually at low speed on full lock, which shears off an already seized & cracked pin. Different type of setup to the Omega though.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 23 queries.