Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Breaking 2001 2.6 Omega many good parts too damaged to repair  (Read 9341 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Breaking 2001 2.6 Omega many good parts too damaged to repair
« Reply #45 on: 05 February 2014, 22:29:54 »

How many miiles had it done, and what engine did it have (originally, if you messed around with it)?

2.6 V6 Y26SE with 3.0 cams, inlet divider, and ported inlet ports to match divider.
OK, thats answered my query, I'll have to look elsewhere.

Thanks anyway :)

I thought you knew!

I did mine not long after Mark did MikeDundees

So what are you after then?
brakes

Well you can fit FL to PFL and I do have newish vented rear discs stil on the pads I fitted them with (and new shoes), and the rear calipers are OK, fronts, well who doesn't replace their discs every few pads as a matter of course.

I suppose it would be fitting for my old car to keep a few loved Omegas on the road, better than crushing a whole car.
MikeDundee's mechanic thought that as well, with predictable results  :'(
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #46 on: 05 February 2014, 22:48:40 »

How many miiles had it done, and what engine did it have (originally, if you messed around with it)?

2.6 V6 Y26SE with 3.0 cams, inlet divider, and ported inlet ports to match divider.
OK, thats answered my query, I'll have to look elsewhere.

Thanks anyway :)

I thought you knew!

I did mine not long after Mark did MikeDundees

So what are you after then?
brakes

Well you can fit FL to PFL and I do have newish vented rear discs stil on the pads I fitted them with (and new shoes), and the rear calipers are OK, fronts, well who doesn't replace their discs every few pads as a matter of course.

I suppose it would be fitting for my old car to keep a few loved Omegas on the road, better than crushing a whole car.
MikeDundee's mechanic thought that as well, with predictable results  :'(

But didn't he have solid discs inside of vented calipers?

05omegav6

« Reply #47 on: 05 February 2014, 23:19:46 »

I think the incident in question involved fitting solid discs to vented calipers :o

If I have read your last correctly, the car you are breaking has the following fitted...

Vented rear discs.
Wider calipers for said vented discs
Pads
Shoes

If all are refitted together exactly as they come off your car, then there should be no cause for concern :-\ provided of course that the discs and pads are only lightly and evenly worn...

A tidy brake upgrade for anyone with solid rear discs, TB included :y

Martin_1962

« Reply #48 on: 05 February 2014, 23:46:06 »

I think the incident in question involved fitting solid discs to vented calipers :o

If I have read your last correctly, the car you are breaking has the following fitted...

Vented rear discs.
Pads
Shoes

If all are refitted together exactly as they come off your car, then there should be no cause for concern :-\ provided of course that the discs and pads are only lightly and evenly worn...

New pads would be a good idea while in bits but they are the ones I fitted with the discs in 2012

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 06 February 2014, 09:42:22 »

Vented rear discs.
Pads
Shoes

New pads would be a good idea while in bits but they are the ones I fitted with the discs in 2012

Apologies for jumping in here
Are we saying that IF you have vented discs at the rear, you can fit front callipers to that hub / disc as a upgrade ?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 06 February 2014, 09:45:48 »

Wasn't there a change in rear caliper piston diameter somewhere around the MFL->FL transition?

Be worth checking that first, as it could mess up the brake balance.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 06 February 2014, 09:59:00 »

Wasn't there a change in rear caliper piston diameter somewhere around the MFL->FL transition?

Be worth checking that first, as it could mess up the brake balance.

Just a mad / no cost idea due the extra weight behind the rear axel of the donut tank and the amount of weight I carry when if I get any work  :(
I've still got the old v6 estate on the side of the house so I could have pinched the bits of that  :-\

Can the rear brake balance be adjusted manually or is that all down to the Abs pump programming ?

05omegav6

« Reply #52 on: 06 February 2014, 12:16:55 »

What I was getting at was because Martins car had vented REAR discs with the wider calipers, both could be fitted to a car that has solid REAR discs without issue. Should also be stamped '42' on the outside face of the caliper.

Potentially, the front caliper will bolt onto the rear hub... BUT, rear discs are 10mm smaller in diameter, and vented discs are 20 mm thick at the rear/24 mm at the front. Front caliper piston area is about twice the size of the rear ones, so as Kevin has pointed out, fitting front calipers to the rear WITHOUT uprating the front brakes will almost certainly cause a problem. Also it is not known if the position of the front caliper will foul the disc when bolted to the rear hub :-\

05omegav6

« Reply #53 on: 06 February 2014, 12:19:27 »

What I was getting at was because Martins car had vented REAR discs with the wider calipers, both could be fitted to a car that has solid REAR discs without issue. THIS IS ONLY AS A COMPLETE UPGRADE. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD THE WIDER CALIPERS BE FITTED WITH SOLID DISCS

Should also be stamped '42' on the outside face of the caliper.

Potentially, the front caliper will bolt onto the rear hub... BUT, rear discs are 10mm smaller in diameter, and vented discs are 20 mm thick at the rear/24 mm at the front. Front caliper piston area is about twice the size of the rear ones, so as Kevin has pointed out, fitting front calipers to the rear WITHOUT uprating the front brakes will almost certainly cause a problem. Also it is not known if the position of the front caliper will foul the disc when bolted to the rear hub :-\

Edited rather obviously...

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 06 February 2014, 13:16:34 »

What I was getting at was because Martins car had vented REAR discs with the wider calipers, both could be fitted to a car that has solid REAR discs without issue. THIS IS ONLY AS A COMPLETE UPGRADE. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD THE WIDER CALIPERS BE FITTED WITH SOLID DISCS

Oh well, another mad idea out of the window  ::) ;D
I'll just have to learn to drive slower  ;D

05omegav6

« Reply #55 on: 06 February 2014, 13:39:55 »

Thee and me both ::)
If you've the parts to try it, hypothetically speaking of course, and only to establish that they physically fit... then please add your findings to the Brake Upgrades thread in Car Chat, as I was thinking along similar lines for the rear once the fronts have bigger discs/calipers fitted :-\

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
  • 2008 BMW E61 535D LCi M Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 06 February 2014, 14:54:51 »

Thee and me both ::)
If you've the parts to try it, hypothetically speaking of course, and only to establish that they physically fit... then please add your findings to the Brake Upgrades thread in Car Chat, as I was thinking along similar lines for the rear once the fronts have bigger discs/calipers fitted :-\

And I have a box of front calipers in the shed!  ;D :-X
It doesn't matter how far you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 06 February 2014, 14:58:39 »

And I have a box of front calipers in the shed!
TB was enquiring about front calipers James
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

Martin_1962

« Reply #58 on: 06 February 2014, 15:32:54 »

If you have changed your mind please let me know.

Wheels and tyres are currently available.

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
  • 2008 BMW E61 535D LCi M Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 06 February 2014, 18:20:58 »

And I have a box of front calipers in the shed!
TB was enquiring about front calipers James

I also mentioned to TB that I had some VGC low mileage solid rear calipers in a recent post, but he never got back to me.  :-\
It doesn't matter how far you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.