Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Non Starter  (Read 1499 times)

KENTISH MAN

• EAST ANGLIA
    • 2001 2.6 V6 CDX AUTO
    • View Profile
Non Starter
« on: 23 May 2018, 15:40:03 »

I have a 2001 cdx Auto, which is refusing to start. It had been running without any problems, until yesterday. I parked up, and 5 min later went to go back out, nothing, no turnover, no clicking, have checked everything, Battery is new, all ignition lights come on, Headlights dont dim, but this morning i noticed that the Engine,Electronics,Immobilizer, light was on, to which i imagine i need a Diagnostic Codereader.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Non Starter
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2018, 15:45:42 »

If it's not even turning over I would suspect the ignition switch or the gear selector interlock. Try holding the key in the start position while wiggling the gear selector - or try starting it in N instead of P.

Could be the starter motor, but they are normally reliable.

Check also the crimping of the large cables into the battery terminals. These often work loose and cause a bad connection.

I take it the warning lights on the dash illuminate. Do they dim when you try to start it?
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2018, 15:53:03 »

Also Brake Switch.

Sort out why its not turning over first, then tackle the Immobilizer issue, if it still is an issue.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2018, 15:53:48 »

Also, put the key in, then turn it to 1 and wait. Then to 2 and wait, then start it.

They don't like being rushed... Key in and straight to 3 sometimes doesn't register the immobiliser chip...
Onanists always think outside the box.

KENTISH MAN

• EAST ANGLIA
    • 2001 2.6 V6 CDX AUTO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2018, 18:57:13 »

Thanks guys, tried everything mentioned, to no avail. Am borrowing a Diagnostic Reader tomorrow, to see if any codes come up. I would call out the AA, but don't have home start, and am right outside the house. Thanks again.

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2018, 22:17:56 »

Was battery changed as a result of this problem or just before? Check terminals aint loose, you'll get enough juice to get lights on but won't fire starter circuit.

KENTISH MAN

• EAST ANGLIA
    • 2001 2.6 V6 CDX AUTO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 May 2018, 10:20:50 »

Had a new battery around a year ago, and its never caused a problem

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 May 2018, 10:32:04 »

If it's not even turning over then it'll be something more basic than the immobiliser and I don't think diagnostics will tell you anything, unfortunately.

The signal that engages the starter passes through the ignition switch, then the automatic gearbox selector switch and into the starter solenoid so it'll be one of these that's causing the problem.

If you can get underneath attach a longish wire to the solenoid terminal on the starter motor using a croc clip or similar (the smaller of the terminals - should have a black and red wire connected to it) you can check if this gets 12V when you turn the key to position 3. If it doesn't you have a problem with the ignition switch or gearbox selector. If you see 12V here, the starter or solenoid is the issue.

If you triple check that the gearbox is in N or P you can carefully tap this wire to the battery positive terminal and see if the engine turns over to verify that the starter is OK but beware that the solenoid will draw a few tens of amps so it needs to be a reasonably stout piece of wire.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

KENTISH MAN

• EAST ANGLIA
    • 2001 2.6 V6 CDX AUTO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 May 2018, 21:09:57 »

Done those last checks, found it was the Starter Motor, having a new one fitted tomorrow. Thanks to everyone who expressed their opinion, it helped a lot, i just don't know what i would do without you guys.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 18 queries.