Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacement Estate  (Read 17280 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
Re: Replacement Estate
« Reply #60 on: 15 March 2017, 21:27:53 »

What's wrong with a pedal and a stick?

I believe Mr Shackeng to be quite long in the tooth. ;)

The physical effort required for a manual may see him into the next world. ;) :D :D

Probably true. ::)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 15 March 2017, 21:29:45 »

Any comments, good or bad, about DSG gearboxes? :-\

They're good at selecting two gears at once.
This immobilises the car, and does about £2500 worth of damage to the gearbox.

It's typical German engineering; seriously complicated for a very small gain

Yes, the salesman at VW tried to impress with the rapidity of the changes, which immediately left me feeling very cynical. :-X

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 15 March 2017, 21:41:50 »

You will struggle for moderate power petrol estates, really, really struggle.

Better options are performance estates, V8's. Eg AMG 55, BMW 545/550, Audi RS6 Avant etc.

Otherwise it's diesel....

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 15 March 2017, 21:52:58 »

Nah VAG software engineers  have programmed fail-safes into the latest ECU software

These units are sealed for life disposable  ;)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 15 March 2017, 22:13:22 »

Nah VAG software engineers  have programmed fail-safes into the latest ECU software

These units are sealed for life disposable  ;)

Let's hope that they're not the same software engineers who produced the Passat electronic handbrake with its atrocious reliability.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 15 March 2017, 22:17:24 »

Better options are performance estates, V8's. Eg AMG 55, BMW 545/550, Audi RS6 Avant etc.

??? Not too worried about power, but in any case both Mondeo and Skoda have 2.0l petrol engines that produce more than a 3.2 Omega. :y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 15 March 2017, 22:29:19 »

??? Not too worried about power, but in any case both Mondeo and Skoda have 2.0l petrol engines that produce more than a 3.2 Omega. :y

Go back fifty years and people would travel from Yorkshire to Cornwall in an Austin 1100 when taking a holiday. Even a glacially slow modern car (think STMO's Astra) will feel like a road-rocket in comparison. :y
« Last Edit: 15 March 2017, 22:30:51 by Doctor Opti »

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 15 March 2017, 23:27:34 »

Like most things, if you're a fan then they go on for ever, never need servicing and will handle a bajillion horsepowers without breaking a sweat. If you aren't a fan, then they are made of chocolate and cost £10bn to fix when they go wrong, which will be every 800yards.

Personal experience, SWMBO has a dsg in the yeti and i find it very nice. On the move you cannot spot the changes unless you are really going for it. In stop start traffic it was not as smooth as my M140i's "traditional" auto (when it worked) but was still smoother than the auto in my Mig. Also, without a torque converter you will get less transmission loss of power. Which may be significant if looking at a moderately powered estate car.

From memory, I believe that the 6 and 7 speed dsg units are actually completely different in how they work (1 is dry clutch, the other wet) and 1 is more problematic than the other. However, as with all things in cars and the internet, people only come online to moan so the problems  are likely overblown.

Clutch packs aren't covered on extended warranty because they are a wearing part. Just like the clutch in a manual car.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 16 March 2017, 00:23:07 »

The position of the seat controls is the clue... On the seat equals part electric/part manual... Had these on mine and tricky to get just so... Switches on the door equals fully electric and infinitely adjustable and therefore much more comfy :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 16 March 2017, 09:39:46 »

Like most things, if you're a fan then they go on for ever, never need servicing and will handle a bajillion horsepowers without breaking a sweat. If you aren't a fan, then they are made of chocolate and cost £10bn to fix when they go wrong, which will be every 800yards.

Personal experience, SWMBO has a dsg in the yeti and i find it very nice. On the move you cannot spot the changes unless you are really going for it. In stop start traffic it was not as smooth as my M140i's "traditional" auto (when it worked) but was still smoother than the auto in my Mig. Also, without a torque converter you will get less transmission loss of power. Which may be significant if looking at a moderately powered estate car.

From memory, I believe that the 6 and 7 speed dsg units are actually completely different in how they work (1 is dry clutch, the other wet) and 1 is more problematic than the other. However, as with all things in cars and the internet, people only come online to moan so the problems  are likely overblown.

Clutch packs aren't covered on extended warranty because they are a wearing part. Just like the clutch in a manual car.

Same ZF 8 speed auto as my car, I think. Not perfect but very fast shifts for an 'old fashioned' torque converter unit.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 16 March 2017, 09:54:26 »

True, Jimmy.

But I think any objective statistical analysis will prove  a DSG  box is more likely to fail, and cost more when it does.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 16 March 2017, 23:43:38 »

Very true. And I have little doubt the "traditional" autos are more reliable. However it is a question of how much more reliable. Which you cannot know without a full data set, which only VW has (for dsg) and other auto makers have for other gearboxes. There isn't a major noted design flaw with dsg's afaik that has necessitated a recall so I don't see that you shouldn't buy a car on the basis of it having a dsg.

as it is, all information on this is anecdotal i.e. I'm a recovery driver and I collect loads of failed dsg's. Or I've got one that's on 300k and going strong. On that basis, I can confirm that 100% of all BMW's (from a sample of 2) will develop faults in less than 6,000 miles and therefore should never be considered by anyone.

In truth I think  dsg's are outdated technology, but when they came about, traditional autos were very different beasts that were ill suited to small engines and low co2 which were the desired order of the day.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 17 March 2017, 09:35:23 »

As said, the big picture is difficult to gauge from anecdotal evidence. I know a handful of people who have had DSG Passats. Every one has ended up dumping it for peanuts when the gearbox has started to play up in the face of a silly quote from a dealer for repair. Anecdotal evidence, of course, but enough to tell me all I need to know. Not with my barge pole.

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 24 March 2017, 08:53:27 »

Well after some weeks of researching, trying seats in the few petrol newish estate cars available, I am back to the Ford Mondeo as the only car with the boot space that fits the bill for me, and I realise this will cause gnashing of teeth among the Ford haters and badge snobs.
I'm going for the 2.0L ecoBoost estate, Titanium X with £3000 worth of extras in shadow black.

Off you go lads, rant away. ;D :y

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 24 March 2017, 09:04:35 »

If it suits you then that is all that matters ;)

I hope it serves you well :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.