Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Sized up the BMW's replacement  (Read 11921 times)

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Sized up the BMW's replacement
« Reply #15 on: 26 March 2017, 22:10:29 »

Nice choice  :y
I'd get leather and wood trim options  8)
Engine?

I sincerely hope it runs on proper fuel.

Yeah you don't want a diesel, not when doing 30k a year.  ::). Seriously? 30,000 miles a year, you want derv. You get this..

Would you run your XF-R if you had to fill it up twice a week?

No... YOU get that. The same person who gets economy figures 50% better than any other driver here ;)

Would I buy a diesel? Quite possibly, if the right one were to come up.

Would I buy it just for economy figures? Hell no! Because at some point it will need some very, very expensive maintenance.

I'm with Nick, hence why instead of claiming on the insurance and rushing out for another car I'm going to put my other £700 Omega on the road after spending the money on a new rad and a cam belt kit. Once that's done I can swap everything I want over from my smashed one at my leisure  :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 March 2017, 22:24:29 »

Have you done the carwow.co.uk thing on it? Sometimes it gets you 25%+ off list from some desperate to sell car dealer in Hull...

Edited to add :  and that ^ is bullshit.

Yeah, Car Wow got nowhere near, broadspeed and coast to coast got to within £100, however the free met paint, warranty and servicing weren't on that (whether you'd get them running round or not I'm not sure).

That deal is called the affiliate scheme I think, applies to loads of clubs/associations. Seems slightly better than the max discount readily available.

Seriously? I wouldn't be doing 30k miles a year(and I have, several times) in a car worth more than £1000. Which means there is no way that a diesel is viable. I'd spend about £500 on a mid-sized petrol engined Astra, do a cambelt service and just drive it. The massive saving on buying a newer car, paying for it, and the depreciation would buy a really nice toy. Each year.

True, but you are also sitting 3-4hrs a day in a £1000 Astra. I used to do this a few years ago, although it was a £1400 Rover 45. I don't fancy doing that again.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 26 March 2017, 22:31:30 »

The only time I have done a fair amount of travelling was going from Leeds to Catterick and back for three and a half years, 620 miles a week in a £200 24v Senator with 2 passengers  :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 26 March 2017, 22:34:00 »

Seriously? I wouldn't be doing 30k miles a year(and I have, several times) in a car worth more than £1000. Which means there is no way that a diesel is viable. I'd spend about £500 on a mid-sized petrol engined Astra, do a cambelt service and just drive it. The massive saving on buying a newer car, paying for it, and the depreciation would buy a really nice toy. Each year.

True, but you are also sitting 3-4hrs a day in a £1000 Astra. I used to do this a few years ago, although it was a £1400 Rover 45. I don't fancy doing that again.

I've done it in a £20 Capri(and other slightly more expensive ones!), and a £25 Cortina. One of my requirements for a car for this sort of use would be a good interior; as I said, I don't find new cars any better to be in. This can be done for less than £500, but it takes effort and some luck.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 27 March 2017, 08:51:19 »

Nice choice  :y
I'd get leather and wood trim options  8)
Engine?

I sincerely hope it runs on proper fuel.

Yeah you don't want a diesel, not when doing 30k a year.  ::). Seriously? 30,000 miles a year, you want derv. You get this..

Would you run your XF-R if you had to fill it up twice a week?

No... YOU get that. The same person who gets economy figures 50% better than any other driver here ;)

Nah, it's just that some people think a throttle is either on or off, nothing in between.  ;)

Can get mid 50's average with cruise set at 80, yet when I drive the 3.2 I can barley crack 22mpg average  ::)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 27 March 2017, 09:43:43 »

Which is odd considering I used to get 27 MPG out of my 3.2 on a back-roads commute. :-\
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 27 March 2017, 10:36:53 »

Which is odd considering I used to get 27 MPG out of my 3.2 on a back-roads commute. :-\

27 if I'm lucky on a motorway run, e.g. down the M3 to Kingston.

Normal commute if I take it, 24 ish. But I can easily get it down to 22 average.

I should run it as my daily, then if I get a V8, I would not notice much difference  ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 27 March 2017, 12:01:00 »

Perhaps Jimmy is being offered an exceptional deal on a diesel car because the dealers are aware that people are moving away from derv in ever increasing numbers.

They need to shift them. A used derv for a couple of thousand like James has bought may be a reasonable proposition, but a brand new one....... :-\ :-\ :'(

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 27 March 2017, 12:02:33 »

Perhaps Jimmy is being offered an exceptional deal on a diesel car because the dealers are aware that people are moving away from derv in ever increasing numbers.

They need to shift them. A used derv for a couple of thousand like James has bought may be a reasonable proposition, but a brand new one....... :-\ :-\ :'(

What if you had to fill up your XF-R twice a week, every week, would you still run a petrol?   :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 27 March 2017, 12:07:49 »

What if you had to fill up your XF-R twice a week, every week, would you still run a petrol?   :)

I'd buy a Tesla P100D.........and overlay a nice Detroit V8  sound to cover the sound of empty milk bottles. :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 27 March 2017, 12:14:57 »

I'd buy a Tesla P100D.........and overlay a nice Detroit V8  sound to cover the sound of empty milk bottles. :y

and in the real world....  ::)

I think Jimmy looked at this and could not make it work.  :)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 27 March 2017, 12:17:56 »

Model: Tesla Model S P100D
Price: £129,400

Not sure many people who need to drive 30k a year, would spend £130k on a car  ;D

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 27 March 2017, 12:21:27 »

I did, I couldn't even get it to work with a second hand P70 at a paultry £49,000. Not helped by their dismal finance rates :P.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 27 March 2017, 12:24:18 »

I did, I couldn't even get it to work with a second hand P70 at a paultry £49,000. Not helped by their dismal finance rates :P.

Lord Opti only drives 5 miles a week I think, he can't understand why people need something that does more than 20mpg  ;D

For finance I'll probably just go to Tesco or something, for the 3.2's replacement, easily get 3.4% APR on a 3 year loan.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 27 March 2017, 12:30:19 »

Yup, that's what I'm doing, a NatWest loan for the max deposit at 3.9% and the balance on PCP (deal is contingent on finance as always) at 4.9%, will then settle the finance 6months and 1 day after I took it out (to avoid penalties).

Resale value doesn't worry me, the first 4yrs/100k is under GFV, if it's proved itself reliable then I'll pay the bullet and run'er into the ground.

I figure the car will be done inside 8-10yrs (250-300k) but I'll have had my monies worth :P
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.