Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Sized up the BMW's replacement  (Read 11920 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: Sized up the BMW's replacement
« Reply #30 on: 27 March 2017, 12:37:31 »

To be honest chaps I'm not a big fan of 'glorified milk floats'. If I held the reins I would invest in Hydrogen fuel cell. Filling up would take about the same time as it takes to fill a car with petrol.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 27 March 2017, 12:48:38 »

I'm inclined to agree that hydrogen is the best long term solution for fitting our infrastructure and the way we use motor vehicles. The main issue for me is that AFAIK (and very willing to stand corrected) the only way to get hydrogen on a large scale ATM is as a byproduct of the petrochemical industry. Which doesn't really help the situation  :-\

I am of course aware that most of the electricity we produce comes from black stuff dug out of the ground.

I came to the conclusion with electric cars that (with the arguable exception of a nearly new i3 range extender) they don't actually make any financial sense at this point against either a new(ish) diesel or small capacity petrol. Other than to make a statement about one's mis-placed love of the polar bear ;).

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 27 March 2017, 12:56:10 »

I'm inclined to agree that hydrogen is the best long term solution for fitting our infrastructure and the way we use motor vehicles. The main issue for me is that AFAIK (and very willing to stand corrected) the only way to get hydrogen on a large scale ATM is as a byproduct of the petrochemical industry. Which doesn't really help the situation  :-\

I am of course aware that most of the electricity we produce comes from black stuff dug out of the ground.

I came to the conclusion with electric cars that (with the arguable exception of a nearly new i3 range extender) they don't actually make any financial sense at this point against either a new(ish) diesel or small capacity petrol. Other than to make a statement about one's mis-placed love of the polar bear ;).

Jimmy......there must be a petrol turbo that does the job of a turbo diesel for the same cost and with hopefully far less depreciation.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 27 March 2017, 12:57:13 »

I was looking at Nissan Leaf's on AutoTrader, use prices now appear reasonable. £7k gets you a half decent one, I did wonder for MrsT as lot of miles is town and to her sisters so easily within the range.

But I'd want to rent the batteries, as they have limited life. Looking at £70/m just for that, before you factor in charging. (which would be cheap)

So even with mixed town/city driving, still looks like a diesel is on the cards for our next family car.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 27 March 2017, 14:03:17 »

and in the real world....  ::)

I think Jimmy looked at this and could not make it work.  :)

I did, I couldn't even get it to work with a second hand P70 at a paultry £49,000. Not helped by their dismal finance rates :P.
Buy new... rates are much better, order a P60 now before it gets axed and upgrade it to a 75 when you can afford it... it's an over the air upgrade, (but I doubt it is free) ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 27 March 2017, 14:07:58 »

I was looking at Nissan Leaf's on AutoTrader, use prices now appear reasonable. £7k gets you a half decent one, I did wonder for MrsT as lot of miles is town and to her sisters so easily within the range.

But I'd want to rent the batteries, as they have limited life. Looking at £70/m just for that, before you factor in charging. (which would be cheap)

So even with mixed town/city driving, still looks like a diesel is on the cards for our next family car.

These are pretty old tech now. However, that may make them more affordable if electric cars are your bag.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 27 March 2017, 14:08:19 »

That would pay for itself... £150 per month in fuel vs £70 for batteries and about £10 in electricity...

You could then use the other £70 to buy her something nice ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 27 March 2017, 14:12:19 »

That would pay for itself... £150 per month in fuel vs £70 for batteries and about £10 in electricity...

You could then use the other £70 to buy her something nice ;)

Is that £70 a month for the car and batteries, or just the batteries?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 27 March 2017, 14:13:41 »

Just the batteries, the alternative is buying, but they cost a damn sight more than £7k ;)

Renting actually makes sense second hand...

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 27 March 2017, 14:43:33 »

I'm not sure if they offer battery rental on second hand purchase?

I'd then get a big estate for longer distance trips

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 27 March 2017, 14:49:16 »

I'm not sure if they offer battery rental on second hand purchase?

I'd then get a big estate for longer distance trips
According to your initial post they do... ::)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 27 March 2017, 15:21:37 »

Quick Google suggests it's a mine field, some cars come with "Flex", where the battery is rented, the rental comes with the car. (apparently massively affects re-sale value, for the worse) - Others you own the car and battery out-right. Lots of combinations of power/charging etc, but forums suggest not to take rental versions (flex) by the car outright.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 27 March 2017, 16:08:47 »

Which is odd considering I used to get 27 MPG out of my 3.2 on a back-roads commute. :-\

Indeed. I only used to get those sort of figures around town and I know I'm heavier on the throttle than Tunnie ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 27 March 2017, 17:00:09 »

Quick Google suggests it's a mine field, some cars come with "Flex", where the battery is rented, the rental comes with the car. (apparently massively affects re-sale value, for the worse) - Others you own the car and battery out-right. Lots of combinations of power/charging etc, but forums suggest not to take rental versions (flex) by the car outright.

Is that perhaps a bit of a short-termist (not a word, I know) view? To me, the benefits of battery rental would come later i.e. When your owned battery starts to dip in performance or fails. Then again, I wonder what (if any) commitment Nissan have made to supplying you a battery long term? Presumably the battery rental agreement isn't a perpetual contract... would be a total nightmare to have a leaf but no battery to put in it.

A minefield indeed!

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 27 March 2017, 17:05:27 »

Tesla P60 while you still can ::)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 18 queries.