Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Sized up the BMW's replacement  (Read 11903 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: Sized up the BMW's replacement
« Reply #45 on: 27 March 2017, 17:08:48 »

Tesla P60 while you still can ::)

Yep....I reckon Jimmy isn't short of a few bob. :)......better still a P100D.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 27 March 2017, 17:13:40 »

Tesla P60 while you still can ::)

Yep....I reckon Jimmy isn't short of a few bob. :)......better still a P100D.

Jimmy may or may not be :P. However jimmy also isn't short of loans, student debt and an eye watering mortgage. All things not normally associated with your average P100D owner ;). Once those are looking in some kind of better shape...

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 27 March 2017, 17:22:55 »

Onanists always think outside the box.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 27 March 2017, 19:49:35 »

Pcp or hp depending on mileage costs...

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/support/personal-contract-purchase-model-s

Terrible deal that, no wonder Jimmy passed up on it.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 27 March 2017, 20:02:24 »

Can get mid 50's average with cruise set at 80, yet when I drive the 3.2 I can barley crack 22mpg average  ::)
I know for a fact that my 3.2 has returned exactly 30mpg, 4 adults with luggauge, on a run back from Tenby to Oxford, M40 and A34. Clear roads meant the speed was rarely below 80mph, and there were some high speed stints as well.  So I do honestly disbelieve you're averaging 22mpg when on a 80mph cruise.

The 3.2 ain't economical, but it ain't nowhere near as bad as you're trying to make out...  ...again, I feel you are trying to justify some maths to yourself.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 27 March 2017, 20:12:10 »

It's a £57k list price, so not sure how you define terrible ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 27 March 2017, 20:16:47 »

Tunnie...Do you suggest that all omega owners should now scrap there cars and get down the main dealers and sign up,,cos your tone seems to have changed so much on here over the last 18 months  :-\

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 27 March 2017, 20:28:57 »

Can get mid 50's average with cruise set at 80, yet when I drive the 3.2 I can barley crack 22mpg average  ::)
I know for a fact that my 3.2 has returned exactly 30mpg, 4 adults with luggauge, on a run back from Tenby to Oxford, M40 and A34. Clear roads meant the speed was rarely below 80mph, and there were some high speed stints as well.  So I do honestly disbelieve you're averaging 22mpg when on a 80mph cruise.

The 3.2 ain't economical, but it ain't nowhere near as bad as you're trying to make out...  ...again, I feel you are trying to justify some maths to yourself.

Never see more than 24 out of a commute, I might take it to work on Wednesday. No justification needed, it's always been appalling on fuel.

It's a £57k list price, so not sure how you define terrible ::)

Err double the interest rate I'd pay, low miles, huge deposit. (Which would also need finance)

Tunnie...Do you suggest that all omega owners should now scrap there cars and get down the main dealers and sign up,,cos your tone seems to have changed so much on here over the last 18 months  :-\

Main dealer, no.  ???

But they are all getting old now, rust will kill them all off soon. I've just driven newer cars which are better and I no longer have time to maintain cars. I'm not the only one to do it, many have moved on in past year or so, they tend to leave though.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 27 March 2017, 21:24:39 »

Never see more than 24 out of a commute, I might take it to work on Wednesday. No justification needed, it's always been appalling on fuel.

I'm with Tunnie on this one. My daily commute is a round trip of 30 miles. The first mile is town driving, the rest is all 'A' roads, and obviously the reverse on the way home. I'm only going by the on-board thingy but no matter how steady I drive I never see an average of more than 22mpg at the end of the week.  :-\
The only time that I see an average of 30mpg is when I'm on a constant motorway run, and only then if I've cheated and reset the on-board thingy as I enter the motorway.  :) 
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 27 March 2017, 21:34:50 »

I think that its all down to personal circumstances, I don't think anyone is knocking  the choice to run an old car. It would be immenseley hypocritical in my case to do so, given I have for over 15yrs, up until last year, never run a car under about 10yrs old. However, the balance of needs and wants changes over time. For me, the next step up in career means I'll:

a) have very little headspace for anything else,
b) be doing a lot of miles
c) be taking a substantial car allowance (doesn't look good receiving £5-10k/yr to run a £500 car)
d) be meeting with a number of board-level types on a regular basis

Now, none of these things preclude running an old car per se. However they do shift the balance away from it towards something new or new-ish.

The cost of running a new V60 over 100k & 4yrs is about £5000 + 48*350 = 21,800 + 12,150 in diesel = £33,950, a "nearly new" s80 on a bank loan would be £16,700 + 11,350 + 1800 (servicing) + 880 (volvo warranty) = £30,730 (assuming a conservative residual of £3k). Running my omega would mean £19,450 in fuel, plus servicing and unexpected repairs at £150 p.a. (likely to be more in reality) = £20,050. So it will cost me about £10-14k over 3yrs, or £210-280 per month to run a new (or nearly new) car. That also assumes the most expensive of everything, full volvo warranty, main dealer servicing etc etc. And assuming nothing goes wrong with the Omega in that time (80-180k, probably a slightly optimistic assumption). In my judgement, this is a worthwhile cost.

Yes, I could LPG the omega, but am I realistically going to finish a 9-10hr day, drive 1.5hrs home and then go looking for LPG? Unlikely in my case. And the limited range would mean that every 1.5-2 days I'd be filling up. The diesel will go a full week in the summer, 4 days in the winter.

The starting premise is not, what is cheapest to run, as I suspect the answer would be a 406 diesel running on Farm Foods veg oil.  ::). The starting premise (for me) is that I want to run a newer car, for a lot of miles, thats auto, has acceptable performance (8s ish or less to 60, with decent mid-range shove). Within those boundaries, the V60/s60/S80 seems the best option.  :y

For the record, my desmond auto has settled on 28mpg over the average tank. I can average 31-32 over a tank, but I'm left wanting to shoot myself.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 27 March 2017, 21:35:28 »

I'm with Tunnie on this one. My daily commute is a round trip of 30 miles. The first mile is town driving, the rest is all 'A' roads, and obviously the reverse on the way home. I'm only going by the on-board thingy but no matter how steady I drive I never see an average of more than 22mpg at the end of the week.  :-\
The only time that I see an average of 30mpg is when I'm on a constant motorway run, and only then if I've cheated and reset the on-board thingy as I enter the motorway.  :)

Same here, I can get 30mpg as within a few miles I'm on the M3, it's also 50mph average. But once on the M25 and off down Heathrow way it's back in the mid 20's. By the time I'm home again, 22-24 ish.

STEMO

« Reply #56 on: 27 March 2017, 22:20:09 »

I think that its all down to personal circumstances, I don't think anyone is knocking  the choice to run an old car. It would be immenseley hypocritical in my case to do so, given I have for over 15yrs, up until last year, never run a car under about 10yrs old. However, the balance of needs and wants changes over time. For me, the next step up in career means I'll:

a) have very little headspace for anything else,
b) be doing a lot of miles
c) be taking a substantial car allowance (doesn't look good receiving £5-10k/yr to run a £500 car)
d) be meeting with a number of board-level types on a regular basis

Now, none of these things preclude running an old car per se. However they do shift the balance away from it towards something new or new-ish.

The cost of running a new V60 over 100k & 4yrs is about £5000 + 48*350 = 21,800 + 12,150 in diesel = £33,950, a "nearly new" s80 on a bank loan would be £16,700 + 11,350 + 1800 (servicing) + 880 (volvo warranty) = £30,730 (assuming a conservative residual of £3k). Running my omega would mean £19,450 in fuel, plus servicing and unexpected repairs at £150 p.a. (likely to be more in reality) = £20,050. So it will cost me about £10-14k over 3yrs, or £210-280 per month to run a new (or nearly new) car. That also assumes the most expensive of everything, full volvo warranty, main dealer servicing etc etc. And assuming nothing goes wrong with the Omega in that time (80-180k, probably a slightly optimistic assumption). In my judgement, this is a worthwhile cost.

Yes, I could LPG the omega, but am I realistically going to finish a 9-10hr day, drive 1.5hrs home and then go looking for LPG? Unlikely in my case. And the limited range would mean that every 1.5-2 days I'd be filling up. The diesel will go a full week in the summer, 4 days in the winter.

The starting premise is not, what is cheapest to run, as I suspect the answer would be a 406 diesel running on Farm Foods veg oil.  ::). The starting premise (for me) is that I want to run a newer car, for a lot of miles, thats auto, has acceptable performance (8s ish or less to 60, with decent mid-range shove). Within those boundaries, the V60/s60/S80 seems the best option.  :y

For the record, my desmond auto has settled on 28mpg over the average tank. I can average 31-32 over a tank, but I'm left wanting to shoot myself.
TBH, Jimmy, I'd just get what I wanted to get and wouldn't take a blind bit of notice what anyone else said. But that's just me  :)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 27 March 2017, 22:41:59 »

In my recent search for a large booted petrol estate, I sat in a Volvo, and must agree regards comfort. Unfortunately they don't do a model that suits. :(

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 27 March 2017, 22:47:15 »

Don't fear old chap.

Given that taking advice on here would leave me either (still) in the omega, or in a V8 saloon of British origin, I'll pass.

However, as he thread descended (as is right proper and inevitable on here) into a new vs old thread, I thought I would post my reasoning.  :).

In fact, a big part of my indecision about cars is the over-analysis I tend to engage in. So it was good to let it all out :P

Shackeng: tbh I don't think they really sell a "proper" estate at all these days, not since the demise of the V70. Oh and petrols are like rocking horse poo which limits you further. The V60 has a tiny load space, genuinely not much more than my 1 series with the parcel shelf removed.

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 27 March 2017, 23:09:47 »

The 2017 Volvo V90 T8 looks a decent car with a reasonable amount of power  :y

Big price tag though...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.