Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Sized up the BMW's replacement  (Read 11907 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Sized up the BMW's replacement
« Reply #75 on: 28 March 2017, 15:56:29 »

Can get mid 50's average with cruise set at 80, yet when I drive the 3.2 I can barley crack 22mpg average  ::)
I know for a fact that my 3.2 has returned exactly 30mpg, 4 adults with luggauge, on a run back from Tenby to Oxford, M40 and A34. Clear roads meant the speed was rarely below 80mph, and there were some high speed stints as well.  So I do honestly disbelieve you're averaging 22mpg when on a 80mph cruise.

The 3.2 ain't economical, but it ain't nowhere near as bad as you're trying to make out...  ...again, I feel you are trying to justify some maths to yourself.

Never see more than 24 out of a commute, I might take it to work on Wednesday. No justification needed, it's always been appalling on fuel.
That's not what you said, you were saying the Passat managed xyzMPG on an 80mph cruise, and the 3.2 would only do 22mpg.  On an 80mph cruise, the 3.2 - as YZ250 confirms - will achieve 30+ mpg.

Given that both myself (on petrol) and YZ250 get around 23mpg day to day, I'm surprised you don't get more (given YZ250 and I "don't hang about"), but then every commute is different.

Could this be the moment dawning, that I do drive like everyone else and the 3.2 is just terrible on fuel :o  ;D

Nope. See my comment about getting 27 MPG on a commute. :P
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 28 March 2017, 16:31:52 »

My white one used to see 27-28 as a regular average, the black one around 23-24 but I didn't hang around and my commute was 23 miles, of which 2 miles is less than NSL, and 12 miles of dual carriageway with 23 roundabouts.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 28 March 2017, 22:36:36 »

My white one used to see 27-28 as a regular average, the black one around 23-24 but I didn't hang around and my commute was 23 miles, of which 2 miles is less than NSL, and 12 miles of dual carriageway with 23 roundabouts.
My old 2.5 V6 manual averaged 27 mpg in day to day commuting. My 2.6 auto manages 26 mpg.

The first day I drove the project MV6 to work it managed 13mpg :o I have since changed the MAF but the best I can eke out of it is 22mpg :(

I had thought that the mpg from the 3.2 would be similar to what I was familiar with in the 2.6 but I am starting to lose confidence :-\
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 29 March 2017, 13:58:13 »

My old 2.5 V6 manual averaged 27 mpg in day to day commuting. My 2.6 auto manages 26 mpg.

The first day I drove the project MV6 to work it managed 13mpg :o I have since changed the MAF but the best I can eke out of it is 22mpg :(

I had thought that the mpg from the 3.2 would be similar to what I was familiar with in the 2.6 but I am starting to lose confidence :-\
No, given your 26mpg from 2.6, I think 3 or 4mpg less for the 3.2 is about right.
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 29 March 2017, 14:01:24 »

No, given your 26mpg from 2.6, I think 3 or 4mpg less for the 3.2 is about right.

I took 3.2 to work today, was not trying to be economical or quick, averaged 21.9

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 29 March 2017, 14:18:32 »

I took 3.2 to work today, was not trying to be economical or quick, averaged 21.9
I took TBE for a hammering yesterday, to warm up the oil.  Not sure, once out of Brakkers, I saw >12mpg on the instantaneous (our default) ;D. Granted, that was gas.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 29 March 2017, 14:18:52 »

Brakes stank as well
Grumpy old man

Lincs Robert

« Reply #82 on: 29 March 2017, 17:44:21 »

I've just been reading up on the new XC60, it has a petrol option. It's called T5, but is a 4pot producing 254bhp, auto only.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 29 March 2017, 20:04:44 »

A fine motor to be sure! Father has had a T5 V70 in the past (he has a thing about quick estates and has owned a fair number of them). However, £5,500 a year on petrol is somewhat beyond the pale!  :o

STEMO

« Reply #84 on: 29 March 2017, 20:09:37 »

Just buy a fickin car and shut up now.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 29 March 2017, 21:00:47 »

A fine motor to be sure! Father has had a T5 V70 in the past (he has a thing about quick estates and has owned a fair number of them). However, £5,500 a year on petrol is somewhat beyond the pale!  :o

You want to ask that Opti bloke for money, I understand he is personally financing the demise of diesel. I'm sure he would be happy to chuck a few grand your way, to go petrol  :y

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 29 March 2017, 21:40:10 »

You make an excellent point!

To be honest, the decision is made. Big Volvo, D4, Auto, tasty spec, its either V60 or 1yr old s80 if I find one that's the right spec. The only reason I haven't already done something about is an impending re-mortgage so I don't want to do anything to affect my credit score, or upset the process as its been so bloody painful already. 

If I can land the right s80 then it will be that. The loan payments will be £200-250/month more than the pcp on a v60 but I'll own the car outright in 2-2.5yrs. Sadly it looks like it'll have to be Rare Silver though  ::). About 1 in 20 seem to be black, however I'll be buggered if I'm washing the thing every verse-end.

STEMO

« Reply #87 on: 29 March 2017, 22:11:21 »

To be honest, the decision is made. Big Volvo, D4, Auto, tasty spec, its either V60 or 1yr old s80 if I find one that's the right spec. The only reason I haven't already done something about is an impending re-mortgage so I don't want to do anything to affect my credit score, or upset the process as its been so bloody painful already. 

If I can land the right s80 then it will be that. The loan payments will be £200-250/month more than the pcp on a v60 but I'll own the car outright in 2-2.5yrs. Sadly it looks like it'll have to be Rare Silver though  ::). About 1 in 20 seem to be black, however I'll be buggered if I'm washing the thing every verse-end.
You should know, Jimmy, that your credit 'score' means nothing. It's for your eyes only, lenders don't get to see it. It's your payment history and the size of your liabilities that count.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 29 March 2017, 22:17:08 »

You should know, Jimmy, that your credit 'score' means nothing. It's for your eyes only, lenders don't get to see it. It's your payment history and the size of your liabilities that count.

Is that a polite euphemism for something else? :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 29 March 2017, 22:18:39 »

Are we still talking the fuel of Satan, Jimmy? There is still time to repent. :) Don't listen to that Tunnie chappie.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.