Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Trackers  (Read 4155 times)

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
Trackers
« on: 26 March 2017, 21:26:20 »

Is there an easy way to locate an unwanted tracker in a car, It`s likely to be a sim card type cheapo tracker but just wondering if there an easy way to find it if it isn`t in the easy to get to places like behind the glovebox or ashtray.

The tracker was fitted by the uncle of SWMBO`s lads ex girlfriend, and now they split up he doesn`t their family knowing where he has moved to, his ex is a bit of a nutter  :D

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Trackers
« Reply #1 on: 26 March 2017, 22:12:37 »

What other reason was it fitted for?

The answer is that it will be very easy to locate... But that's not information I would rush to disclose on an open forum ;)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 March 2017, 22:23:03 »

The answer is that it will be very easy to locate... But that's not information I would rush to disclose on an open forum ;)

The reason it was fitted was because after a rear end bump the tailgate failed to lock and you could get into the car and potentially steal it, so if it was stolen it could then be located.

Quite why they just didn`t get a second hand locking mechanism is beyond me  ::)

Anyway now they have split up he wants the tracker gone.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 March 2017, 22:30:57 »

The reason it was fitted was because after a rear end bump the tailgate failed to lock and you could get into the car and potentially steal it, so if it was stolen it could then be located.

Quite why they just didn`t get a second hand locking mechanism is beyond me  ::)

So they fitted a subscription service device instead of just a new lock? Sounds suspect to me ???

All trackers require at least 2, if not 3 or more extra wires ;)

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 March 2017, 22:37:24 »

So they fitted a subscription service device instead of just a new lock? Sounds suspect to me ???

Yeah seemed odd to me too, I was thinking it was more like one of those that use mobile sim cards and a battery for power, you can get them on ebay and Amazon for around £30.

I`ve just ordered a lock and latch from ebay for £20, just need to swap the barrels over and job jobbed  :y

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 March 2017, 22:51:13 »

Yeah seemed odd to me too, I was thinking it was more like one of those that use mobile sim cards and a battery for power, you can get them on ebay and Amazon for around £30.

I`ve just ordered a lock and latch from ebay for £20, just need to swap the barrels over and job jobbed  :y

If it used a battery it won't last that long ;)

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 March 2017, 23:47:58 »

If it used a battery it won't last that long ;)

I`ll be hunting for it next weekend after I`ve replaced the tailgate lock, I have a sneaky feeling it may be around the as the steering column surround has been tampered with so that will be my first port of call  ;)

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 March 2017, 00:51:30 »

it will likely be in either bumper.   it needs a view of the sky to get satellite signals, unobstructed by steel.   could be under the dash near the windscreen or may be viewing the sky through rear windscreen.  also needs a power supply which will probably be from the car.  newer ones may have their own power supply or get signals bounced from the road perhaps. 

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 March 2017, 05:06:36 »

Why not ask were they fitted it, as you are selling the car.
Hoof'land storeman.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 March 2017, 07:37:25 »

The split from his girlfriend wasn`t very acrimonious so talking is out of the question  ;D

aaronjb

« Reply #10 on: 27 March 2017, 08:41:55 »

The split from his girlfriend wasn`t very acrimonious so talking is out of the question  ;D

acrimonious |ˌakrɪˈməʊnɪəs|
adjective
(typically of speech or discussion) angry and bitter: an acrimonious dispute about wages.

:P

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 March 2017, 09:40:23 »

it will likely be in either bumper.   it needs a view of the sky to get satellite signals, unobstructed by steel.   could be under the dash near the windscreen or may be viewing the sky through rear windscreen.  also needs a power supply which will probably be from the car.  newer ones may have their own power supply or get signals bounced from the road perhaps.

I doubt it... They're not normally designed to be fitted externally. Most units are perfectly capable of "seeing" the satellites from under the dash.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 March 2017, 09:57:33 »

I guess it also depends whether a tracker is fitted overtly or covertly.  ;)

If you were to fit one to your own vehicle, it would make sense to put it somewhere warm and dry.  ie inside the the car.  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 March 2017, 10:04:28 »

Did they actually fit it?
Hoof'land storeman.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 March 2017, 11:59:05 »

acrimonious |ˌakrɪˈməʊnɪəs|
adjective
(typically of speech or discussion) angry and bitter: an acrimonious dispute about wages.

:P

You knew what I meant  :P

Did they actually fit it?

As far as I know it was fitted.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.