Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Car prices ....  (Read 7175 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Car prices ....
« Reply #30 on: 29 March 2017, 11:57:48 »

1.4 Turbo with a slush box in a Zafira?

Well, if the objective is to make the Passat seem less dull. ;)

I like these...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201702182454470?price-from=10000&radius=1500&postcode=tw89de&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&model=S-MAX&fuel-type=Petrol&sort=price-asc&advertising-location=at_cars&make=FORD&page=1

But they aint cheap, same price gets me a much newer and low miles Zaf.
[/highlight]

£11650 for a 7 year old Ford just ripe for expensive repairs. Has the world gone mad?.... :o :o :o :o

It has, some people pay 50quid a month to tax a Vectra  :P
Oooooo....that will hurt  :'(     ;D

I can understand if it was something like a Monaro or VXR8, I'd pay £50 a month to tax on one of those bad boys.

But a posh Vectra Estate?  :P :P

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 29 March 2017, 11:58:54 »

S-Max is a size up from the Zafira and hence the feature, engine range and price difference.

As for longevity of any small turbo engines, its nothing to worry about in reality, the turbo is no more strained than on any other vehicle and the internals are more than robust enough to handle 140bhp. The fact they have VVT and variable vane means they are pretty good at managing heat etc

I find the 1.4 Turbo in the wife's car quite an easy drive and it has an astonishing amount of torque low down for a petrol but, her car is a few hundred kgs lighter!

Not sure I would be concerned about a centre seat Isofix to much.....unless your planning to 'get on it' significantly in the next few months, last thing you really want is a child within plain sight of the windscreen if you can help it  ;D :D

Thanks Mark  :y :y - I would not mind a Zaf, as it fit's nicely in my budget plans.

Reasoning for centre ISO, is MrsT's sisters have young children, I can see it being useful having 3 ISO's in the middle, they would be used.

Also going on the fact sister-in-law has taken our daughter out for the afternoon with her 2, while the other one was at school. So she used the spare seat, that said, I guess we could soon get away with a booster in the middle, but having said that backless boosters appear to be soon illegal:

http://www.which.co.uk/news/2016/04/new-booster-seats-ban-439787/

The Zaf's setup of seatbelt only in the middle would be a pain, it's the SIL's main gripe with their big Zaf Tourer and are now looking at Fords (S-Max & Galaxy)

I also would want the rear two seats only for luggage/occasional use, something about them being that close to the rear screen makes me shudder.

Too add, I think the Galaxy looks better option. Cheaper and bigger! But again, Petrol Auto's are limiting in number, so might have to look at diesels  :(

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 29 March 2017, 11:59:23 »

S-Max is a size up from the Zafira and hence the feature, engine range and price difference.

As for longevity of any small turbo engines, its nothing to worry about in reality, the turbo is no more strained than on any other vehicle and the internals are more than robust enough to handle 140bhp. The fact they have VVT and variable vane means they are pretty good at managing heat etc

I find the 1.4 Turbo in the wife's car quite an easy drive and it has an astonishing amount of torque low down for a petrol but, her car is a few hundred kgs lighter!

Not sure I would be concerned about a centre seat Isofix to much.....unless your planning to 'get on it' significantly in the next few months, last thing you really want is a child within plain sight of the windscreen if you can help it  ;D :D

Thanks Mark  :y :y - I would not mind a Zaf, as it fit's nicely in my budget plans.

Reasoning for centre ISO, is MrsT's sisters have young children, I can see it being useful having 3 ISO's in the middle, they would be used.

Also going on the fact sister-in-law has taken our daughter out for the afternoon with her 2, while the other one was at school. So she used the spare seat, that said, I guess we could soon get away with a booster in the middle, but having said that backless boosters appear to be soon illegal:

The Zaf's setup of seatbelt only in the middle would be a pain, it's the SIL's main gripe with their big Zaf Tourer and are now looking at Fords (S-Max & Galaxy)

I also would want the rear two seats only for luggage/occasional use, something about them being that close to the rear screen makes me shudder.

most people carriers have the rear most seats close to the tailgate,just something you gotta live with :-\
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 29 March 2017, 11:59:38 »

Just use a seat belt on a childs seat if you get that stuck, we have Isofix and never ever used it (as they had rear facing seats when very small and then 5 point harness strapped in with the seat belt setup followed by booster seats with side/back)

As for the rear impact, its no more severe or dangerous than a side impact.......

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 29 March 2017, 12:06:35 »

Just use a seat belt on a childs seat if you get that stuck, we have Isofix and never ever used it (as they had rear facing seats when very small and then 5 point harness strapped in with the seat belt setup followed by booster seats with side/back)

As for the rear impact, its no more severe or dangerous than a side impact.......

So in the VW I have Maxi-Cosi Family Fix base, which allows the 0-2 seat to just clip in (rear facing). Very useful when transferring from house or Pram (iCandy with adaptors) - The base also then takes the Tobi seat from 2-5(ish) years (front facing), all based on the ISOFix. So having 3 of these would be super easy, meaning all 3 seats could take children from 0 to 5, as they all use Maxi-Cosi as well for their own seats.

So we find it really useful, it's also 'feels' more secure. In the 3.2 we have the seat belt versions, Pebble for the base and Seat Belt Toby. It never appears as secure compared to VW. I also had issues getting seatbelt version sector and tight in FatherT's Jag. XF :-\

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 29 March 2017, 12:20:33 »

3 of them, you say? :o
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 29 March 2017, 12:33:35 »

1.4 Turbo with a slush box in a Zafira?

Well, if the objective is to make the Passat seem less dull. ;)

I like these...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201702182454470?price-from=10000&radius=1500&postcode=tw89de&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&model=S-MAX&fuel-type=Petrol&sort=price-asc&advertising-location=at_cars&make=FORD&page=1

But they aint cheap, same price gets me a much newer and low miles Zaf.
[/highlight]

£11650 for a 7 year old Ford just ripe for expensive repairs. Has the world gone mad?.... :o :o :o :o

It has, some people pay 50quid a month to tax a Vectra  :P
Oooooo....that will hurt  :'(     ;D

I can understand if it was something like a Monaro or VXR8, I'd pay £50 a month to tax on one of those bad boys.

But a posh Vectra Estate?  :P :P

I agree, it's not an ideal situation. The car is 2007 rather than 2006 which puts it in the higher tax band. :'(. So I pay a ridiculous £540 a year to tax it.

The good news is that a 2007 Signum can be had for about £1000 and and not the £11650 for the Ford.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 29 March 2017, 12:47:01 »

I could spend same amount on a normal tax version, (06 Plate V6) or a 2.2 Direct, but Signum ticks none of the boxes I need.  :)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 29 March 2017, 13:34:15 »

I know you overlooked it, so I will repeat it...

The SMax is a Galaxy with a small boot... if you want an estate car, buy one. If you want a people carrier buy a Galaxy/Sharon. If you want a people carrier with genuine luggage capacity then buy a long wheelbase low roof Transit/Vivaro/Vito.

Incidentally, what does Mrs T want?
Onanists always think outside the box.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 29 March 2017, 13:53:36 »

Needs to be auto and needs to have full 3 seats in middle row, as it will have 70% town life, that means petrol. (not that she is fussed)

So either the Ford or Vauxhall, the VAG's (Seat/VW) 95% diesel with only latest being petrols and only being 1.2 TSi  :o

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 29 March 2017, 14:14:43 »

All the larger options are available with autos ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 29 March 2017, 14:15:48 »

With them up, you have virtually zero boot - room for a couple of carrier bags.  But the Zafira does have them permanently fitted in the car, unlike some of the others where you have to clog up your garage/shed when not in use.

And, in the Zaf-A, they are surprisingly comfortable - I sat in one for the first time on hols when Mrs TB drove back from pub, normally it ends up being either mum or Mrs TB in the boot.  For me, the middle row of seats had to be slightly forward, which the Zafira allows.

Going by MDTM's posh (Elite) Zaf-B, they are a bigger car than my supposedly posh (Elegance) Zaf-A.  Not sure on size difference between Tourer and Zaf-B (certainly, tourer is bigger than my Zaf-A).  MDTM's Zaf-B is a damn site more comfortable as well.

However, if you need to cart other peoples little baskets with you, I think you possibly need to except one of 2 options:

1) Learn how to say opps off to them, and get a car that suits your MrsT's needs/budget/capability
or
2) Get a far bigger MPV, such as Galaxy (and clones)/Espace/other crap French shite, and accept the hit on budget and running costs.

As for auto, esp around town, maybe persuade MrsT to take a proper test?  It'll likely be useful in the future anyway, even if you still end up with an auto?
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 29 March 2017, 14:29:01 »

All the larger options are available with autos ;)

Yes, but what is limiting factor is most MPV's are diesel.

600+ Diesel Autos, but only 27 petrol autos.  :(

Means very limited choice  :'(

With them up, you have virtually zero boot - room for a couple of carrier bags.  But the Zafira does have them permanently fitted in the car, unlike some of the others where you have to clog up your garage/shed when not in use.

And, in the Zaf-A, they are surprisingly comfortable - I sat in one for the first time on hols when Mrs TB drove back from pub, normally it ends up being either mum or Mrs TB in the boot.  For me, the middle row of seats had to be slightly forward, which the Zafira allows.

Going by MDTM's posh (Elite) Zaf-B, they are a bigger car than my supposedly posh (Elegance) Zaf-A.  Not sure on size difference between Tourer and Zaf-B (certainly, tourer is bigger than my Zaf-A).  MDTM's Zaf-B is a damn site more comfortable as well.

However, if you need to cart other peoples little baskets with you, I think you possibly need to except one of 2 options:

1) Learn how to say opps off to them, and get a car that suits your MrsT's needs/budget/capability
or
2) Get a far bigger MPV, such as Galaxy (and clones)/Espace/other crap French shite, and accept the hit on budget and running costs.

As for auto, esp around town, maybe persuade MrsT to take a proper test?  It'll likely be useful in the future anyway, even if you still end up with an auto?

I know a manual is non-starter, it must be an auto. To be honest, after busy days out, an auto is nearly a must for me.

I think my only option is a Galaxy  ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 29 March 2017, 14:33:42 »

I know a manual is non-starter, it must be an auto. To be honest, after busy days out, an auto is nearly a must for me.
Tell her to pass her test, or its shank's pony from now on.  Keep a bag of frozen peas handy, to reduce the swelling ;D

I think my only option is a Galaxy  ;D
Would the Seat equivalent be cheaper, having an unwanted badge? Or were the Seats all diesel?  I imagine the Sharran holds value better due to silly badge on it.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.