Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bending brake pipes ?  (Read 3567 times)

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
Bending brake pipes ?
« on: 28 March 2017, 17:58:48 »

Any recommendation for a decent brake pipe bender and flaring tool . I have read somewhere that certain tools brake or dont flare properly  :-\
Omegatitis

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
Re: Bending brake pipes ?
« Reply #1 on: 28 March 2017, 18:21:50 »

Anything from Sykes will do good flares,copper and kunifer pipe bends easily around a large socket or piece of pipe so wouldnt worry about that bit
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 March 2017, 18:26:42 »

I tend to do them with my bare bear paws. Just careful not to kink them.

It's getting the flares right you wanna practise  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 March 2017, 18:29:01 »

*edit. Paw singular  ::)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 March 2017, 18:31:25 »

Thanks folks , i need to replace a few brake pipes and an awkward fuel pipe that runs up near the side of the tank (cav)  :y Surely there must be a pipe bender for these specific jobs , would make it easier .
« Last Edit: 28 March 2017, 18:33:03 by EMD »
Omegatitis

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 March 2017, 18:32:29 »

The Sykes tools are excellent if you can afford them. Or steal them, which is what happened to mine >:(

I replaced it with Automec flaring tool and this bending tool. While bending kunifer brake pipe isn't difficult by hand, that shitty looking tool will easily put a tight 180degree bend right next to a fitting. It makes your pipe work look much better!

Buy a cheap rotating small pipe-cutter from B&Q for a fiver; a deburring tool is nice to have, but a fine file is plenty good enough for DIY work.

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 March 2017, 18:38:51 »

I have made the fuel pipe from the tank to the pipes to engine bay and temporally fitted them onto the rubber pipe but will these fuel pipes need to be flared at each end otherwise i think they will pull out , even with the fuel line clips .
Omegatitis

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 March 2017, 18:50:44 »

I  only make fuel lines from 8mm nylon pipe, joining them with 8mm bore hose and jubilee clips. If you use a large overlap, there isn't a problem, even with 60psi of fuel pressure.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 March 2017, 20:16:51 »

The other option is buy pre made ones.

I haven't researched this. However I replaced a brake line on a Renault Megan last week and as the line was an integral part of the flexi I had to get it from Renault (well Allen ford actually... they can get French parts) and the entire line from nsr calliper, to flexi, then pipe to a fitting on the offside was £24 plus the vat. So potentially that's an option. But obviously that's only one example. I've no idea how much certain sections would be elsewhere or if they're even available. Worth a phone call though imo

Hth Steve  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 March 2017, 21:38:24 »

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 March 2017, 21:41:14 »

You need the right type of flare for your car. A tool that just does that type of flare is probably better than a universal tool.

As for brake pipe benders I bought some fairly expensive pliers type ones to do neat tight bends but I wished I hadn't. You can do a decent job by hand or bending around a suitable object. The pliers nearly kinked the end of a very long complex line I'd just put it...

For flares I used something like this - it was pretty reliable and good for tight spaces:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trident-T413705-Brake-Pipe-Flaring-Tool-4-75mm-DIN-New-/161353061492
But make sure it's the correct flare for you.

And these are the pliers I didn't get on with:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trident-T413400-Brake-Pipe-Bending-Pliers-Dual-Size-3-16-and-1-4-Tube-New-/151097742382?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item232e20942e

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 March 2017, 22:21:28 »

Personally, I prefer to bend by hand. I have a cheap pipe bender, but it tends to be more trouble than it's worth.

Roughly follow the shape of the pipe you have removed, once fitted, tweak, check and double check there are no sharp bends or rattling pipes against the body.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 March 2017, 22:58:07 »

:( :(

Cripes Webby never realised, without sounding patronising mucho admiration for all the mechaniking your doing !
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 March 2017, 23:08:52 »

Thanks folks , i need to replace a few brake pipes and an awkward fuel pipe that runs up near the side of the tank (cav)  :y Surely there must be a pipe bender for these specific jobs , would make it easier .
sets on ebay , benders & flaring tools not expensive, . also plenty of info on u tube on how to use.

aaronjb

« Reply #14 on: 29 March 2017, 07:41:59 »

:( :(

Cripes Webby never realised, without sounding patronising mucho admiration for all the mechaniking your doing !

Ah, I still remember the time I took the pee out of Webby for insisting on driving an automatic..  :-[ :-X :-[

I can vouch for the tools Nick listed (bought the Automec flare tool as well in the end, Nick - works beautifully!), but I also bought this bending tool: https://www.automec.co.uk/collections/tools/products/professional-pipe-bending-tool-by-oakes

I used a combination of both to do most of the bends on the kit car, besides the ones I did before I had either tool which I did around a socket.. besides the first two (that I did very poorly with a different kind of bending tool) they all look just fine so make of that what you will (also, I like tools).

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 29 March 2017, 18:20:52 »

Your doing a great job steve ... have you had a go with a plasma cutter yet  ;)

Ive searched in the shed for the new fuel line for hours then seen it hanging up in a place i thought i would see it easily  ::) Oh and found the special key to undo the hubcaps  ;D Really ought to drop the fuel tank to gain better access to the brake line  :( I shall try the socket method first to shape the bends and see how it goes  :y
Omegatitis

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29 March 2017, 21:34:33 »

Lads, I got over it a long time ago!  ;D but thanks for the nice comments  :)

Never made fuel lines before but for brake lines get the old one on the floor and shape around the with your hands. I'll admit I've made some not very pretty ones  ;D but function over form in this case  :)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29 March 2017, 22:28:42 »

The other option is buy pre made ones.

I haven't researched this. However I replaced a brake line on a Renault Megan last week and as the line was an integral part of the flexi I had to get it from Renault (well Allen ford actually... they can get French parts) and the entire line from nsr calliper, to flexi, then pipe to a fitting on the offside was £24 plus the vat. So potentially that's an option. But obviously that's only one example. I've no idea how much certain sections would be elsewhere or if they're even available. Worth a phone call though imo

Hth Steve  :y
the first one that I made was for a scenic if I remember right I had to reuse the original ends

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30 March 2017, 13:20:51 »

The potential problem with pre-formed brake pipes is that they were designed to be fitted on a car on a production line .... there's  now a variety of stuff in the way  ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30 March 2017, 13:49:48 »

The Omega isn't too bad, but on a car with a proper subframe, Bmw/Mercedes to name but two, there's no point changing the plumbing unless the car is a keeper as it will inevitably mean dropping the subframe. At which point you might as well change all the bushes etc...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 30 March 2017, 19:05:53 »

The potential problem with pre-formed brake pipes is that they were designed to be fitted on a car on a production line .... there's  now a variety of stuff in the way  ;)

Oh absolutely. Was just thinking of another option for emd. The Megan's one I mentioned was awesome. Off. On. And looked better than anything I could make  ;D
RIP Paul Lovejoy

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 30 March 2017, 19:59:19 »

The fuel pipe i removed looked ok rubbed down and greased but on inspection the pipe was wafer thin and snapped with ease  :o
Omegatitis
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.