Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Worst day in the garage for a while  (Read 4855 times)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
Worst day in the garage for a while
« on: 28 March 2017, 18:38:19 »

I take a bit of pride that I don't tend to cock up often at work these days. But today was one of those days  ;D

Took an egr off a fiesta. Couldn't get the new gasket, valve and bolts to line up. One of the lads had to do it for me  :-[

Next, crank sensor on a corsa d.... took me an hour to get it out as was seized in even though it had come out past the o ring  ???:-[ then when I did get it out it brought a lovely 2 metre length of copper wire with it..... the other half had dropped in to the sump. Pan off (though I actually loved it as it was a piece of piss).

Then screen wash pump on a meriva. Took wheel arch liner off. To find I had to take the scuttle off.  >:( then when I got it all back together I'd put the wipers in the wrong orientation and bent one on first go. I bent it back and all was good..... but FFS  ;D

All in all I'm hoping that was a one off and tomorrow will be better  ;D

So what's your worst day spent on the car or indeed at work......
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Worst day in the garage for a while
« Reply #1 on: 28 March 2017, 18:57:41 »

Drifting a support bush out of a hub carrier whilst trying to liberate a balljoint...

Oh, and nearly cutting my face of trying to free an exhaust :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

« Reply #2 on: 28 March 2017, 19:02:21 »

In the 1980's, changing the starter motor on the MIL's triumph herald (plenty of room to work) from underneath. Tightening the power lead nut up, crawling out from under, only to see the car rock a bit and fall sideways off the scissor jack I used.  Just ten seconds earlier and.........

Steve Brookman

• Blackwood, Gwent
    • Royale/Senator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 March 2017, 19:06:18 »

Changing the points on my fathers 3.0 Granada-then starting the engine only to realise the ratchet and socket were still attached to the crank bolt.
Previous
Omega 2.5 GLS Auto Estate         S115 JVV
Omega 3.0 Elite  Auto Estate        T639 TFA

STEMO

« Reply #4 on: 28 March 2017, 19:13:59 »

Changing the points on my fathers 3.0 Granada-then starting the engine only to realise the ratchet and socket were still attached to the crank bolt.
;D ;D ;D
I couldn't afford the luxury of tools. I used to put the car in 4th and rock it.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 March 2017, 20:05:16 »

Doing a clutch change on a Capri on my own, in the street in 40 minutes. Then the bad bit: as I tightened the last prop bolt, it rolled down the ramps and pinned me to the floor. I counted myself lucky to get away with a sprained wrist and shoulder. This is one reason why I prefer to use axle stands!

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 March 2017, 20:25:26 »

Holy shitballs. Those cars falling off supports aren't funny! Though the crank bolt n ratchet story is  ;D assuming no one got hurt of course  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 March 2017, 20:41:38 »

My worst?  Removing a V6+Gearbox from a Vectra B on the subframe. I'd removed some bolts and slackened the remaining 4. I was working on removing one more bolt from each side when the subframe dropped. It had pulled a subframe mount out of the subframe. My hand was now trapped under the head of a 1/2 inch ratchet with a 12 inch extension with a subframe pushing down on me. I tried to pull my hand, nothing. I tried to shoulder the subframe, nothing. I tried using my legs to raise it, nothing.

I consider my options, no point shouting, no one was in, no phone on me - I look around and see the jack, I had to swing my entire body around to reach the jack with my feet. Luckily I did get it and luckily I'd left it locked off. I raised the subframe and counted myself lucky that I got away with an epic bruise.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 March 2017, 21:25:17 »

Using a mobile forklift style vehicle lift to do a service and repairs on a rover 200 bubble.

Rear brake shoes needed replacing. Rear wheel off and drum, took the shoes to the bench to disassemble.

30 seconds later the little rover decided to swan dive off the lift.

Down with the shutters while a plan was devised to separate the mess ::)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 March 2017, 21:35:59 »

Jeez guys there are some close calls here  :'( but good that no ones been seriously injured.
RIP Paul Lovejoy

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 March 2017, 21:54:40 »

Drilling the inner wing on some van or other, I forget why. Random small scale vandalism perhaps. Anyway... had put a chock of wood on the other side to protect the engine bay.
 Unfortunately the vibration of me breaking through, meant the wood dropped sideways... and the drill bit went straight through the side of the battery instead.  Splishy splashy sweary!

Same week,  my boss did pads and discs on a Toyota Areola or something. .. forgot to pump the pedal up. Took it off the ramp, low speed loop as I closed the roller shutter. .. as he then hits it from the outside. At least he wasnt trying to park in front of the brick pillar...!
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 March 2017, 22:10:49 »

Haha I forgot to pump the pedal once. The bloke taking it on a run for me luckily had the sense to slam on the handbrake. Otherwise he would have hit the owner who was standing in the way  :-X
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 March 2017, 22:11:05 »

.......I won't forget again  ;D
RIP Paul Lovejoy

STEMO

« Reply #13 on: 29 March 2017, 22:12:34 »

I think we've all forgotten to tighten our wheel bolts. Haven't we? Yes?  :-[

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 March 2017, 22:16:28 »

Seen thst a few times, not by me luckily
RIP Paul Lovejoy

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 29 March 2017, 22:16:50 »

Not me but a lad round the corner from me, took in a part exchange of a Vectra B (X20XEV) with a blown head gasket.... changed head gasket, replaced cambelt etc.... cranked over the engine on starter.... daft bastard had left the cams locked off with the locking tools, stripped the starter motor and a couple of teeth off the starter ring, along with ruining the new cambelt... he scrapped the car...
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29 March 2017, 22:23:48 »

Remember when I was about 16 I had got an old monza to work on and practice my welding (good choice) with the added delusion that I would fix the rotten inner wings, get it on the road and afford the insurance at 17. So there I was smart ass, took the front subframe off by jacking the engine and box up then removing the subby, can't remember exactly how I wangled that but I done it.

So engine and box are sitting under nothing more than a jack, and a confidently placed fence post to steady it. Lying under the drivers door I remember looking up and seeing the engine taking a sideways burton towards the inner wing. The only thing that went through my head (apart from the whole body shell nearly!) was that the engine was going to knock the car right off the stands and I'd be canned carrots. It didn't, luckily the jack started sliding sideways and the engine fell flat on the ground. Granted those straight 6s are one heavy bit of kit and should it have hit the inner wing I'm sure it would have popped the car off the stands.

Other near horror story. Working as apprentice and one of the jobs was a rover 820 the guy wanted changed from auto to manual. So started all the stripping, got the box out and was placing a big drip tray under the engine as we were going to drain coolant. Thing is, the torque convertor was still sitting on the flywheel, as I was kneeling down to place the tray, the TC dropped like a brick right towards my nut, luckily the journeyman was standing right next to me and he managed to push it off it's intended course of splitting my skull wide open! It landed with one almighty bang right next to me.

« Last Edit: 29 March 2017, 22:28:50 by grifter »

STEMO

« Reply #17 on: 29 March 2017, 22:24:49 »

Seen thst a few times, not by me luckily
You don't get the brown trouser moment on the motorway straight away. It's when you pull over to see what that funny noise is, and the realisation hits, that you fill your keks.

STEMO

« Reply #18 on: 29 March 2017, 22:27:14 »

Remember when I was about 16 I had got an old monza to work on and practice my welding (good choice) with the added delusion that I would fix the rotten inner wings, get it on the road and afford the insurance at 17. So there I was smart ass, took the front subframe off by jacking the engine and box up then removing the subby, can't remember exactly how I wangled that but I done it.

So engine and box are sitting under nothing more than a jack. Lying under the drivers door I remember looking up and seeing the engine taking a sideways burton towards the inner wing. The only thing that went through my head (apart from the whole body shell nearly!) was that the engine was going to knock the car right off the stands and I'd be canned carrots. It didn', luckily the jack started sliding sideways and the engine fell flat on the ground. Granted those straight 6s are one heavy bit of kit.
Some of the things I did when I was younger put the shits right up me now. I tend to think of them just as I'm drifting off to sleep on a night. Cue a restless hour or so.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29 March 2017, 22:35:31 »

I remember a bank holiday in the late 70,s. I had bought and rebuilt my first straight cutgearbox for one of my Mini Cooper S,s. Mated it up to the engine droped it in went for a test drive. Bearing noise. Bugger, must have built it wrong. Took it out, split it , back in pieces. Couldnt see anything wrong back in car . Still there. Then i thought, i wonder if it is a wheel bearing. Doh.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29 March 2017, 22:37:09 »

I remember a bank holiday in the late 70,s. I had bought and rebuilt my first straight cutgearbox for one of my Mini Cooper S,s. Mated it up to the engine droped it in went for a test drive. Bearing noise. Bugger, must have built it wrong. Took it out, split it , back in pieces. Couldnt see anything wrong back in car . Still there. Then i thought, i wonder if it is a wheel bearing. Doh.

;D ;D ;D ;D
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 29 March 2017, 23:10:22 »

I think we've all forgotten to tighten our wheel bolts. Haven't we? Yes?  :-[

Me and a mate took a Merc 1617 truck for a test drive after an engine rebuild. After a few miles he said the handling was all over the place! We pulled over to have a lookysee, and found all the front wheelnuts hanging off on the last thread!  :o

We didn't have any tools, but found a pair of mole grips under a seat. So we did them up as best we could and limped home stopping every mile or so to 'retighten'!  ;D

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

aaronjb

« Reply #22 on: 30 March 2017, 09:56:18 »

Neither of these are really 'bad' because nobody got hurt, but:

Several of us are in the process of turbocharging one friends MR2 Roadster and we're fitting the additional radiator at the front of the car for the chargecooler, drilling through the upper crossmember for a fixing point, directly in front of the a/c condenser.

The drill pops through and Stu says "I hope I didn't hit the condenser"
"No," says I, "it'd be going pssshhhhh if you had"
"Good point," says Stu, as he drills the second hole..
psssshhhhhhhhhhhh
"Like that," I quipped. :-X ;D ;D ;D

I think we went inside for alcohol and food at that point! ;D

The other one:

Coming back from a track day at Donnington Park in the M3 having completely cooked the brakes on track.  They've pretty much recovered, as has my underwear after hurtling toward the penultimate hairpin (GP circuit so Melbourne corner) and finding I have bugger all braking, so everything is good.

About half way home (to Bracknell) the car starts making that familiar "wwop wwop wwop" noise of a rear wheel bearing.

Bugger, I thought to myself, that's all I need! More expensive repairs.

Get home and thought .. I never did check the wheel bolts after I'd been on track.

Got the wheel brace out and .. all the rear bolts were finger tight and well on their way out  :-X :-[ :-[ :o

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 30 March 2017, 10:09:48 »

I'm impressed that you could hear a wheel bearing over the straight cut gearbox!
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 30 March 2017, 11:04:52 »

A few weeks before my first child was born (so September 82) I fired up the Chevette HS to take swmbo to her final ante natal class.
Problem was the oil light stayed on, which caused blind panic. Ante natal class immediately cancelled, which went down well, ::) and thoughts turned to engine removal, strip down and rebuild.
I had never done this to any engine before, and didn't really have anywhere to do it, but when your young, minor details like this don't stop you.
I had a 6x6 garden shed with no door or glass in the window, so I decided that would do just fine.
Pulled the engine out and completely dismantled it and then began to try and find out how to rebuild it. Started ordering parts from the local Vauxhall dealer, who always ordered in parts for a single cam engine, so they were usually the wrong parts.
Meanwhile, daughter was born, so I had to get the bus to and from hospital, and she was brought home in the father in laws Capri.
My first borns first car journey was in a Ford. This would scar me forever ! And if my Dad found out, he would never forgive me.
 I never found out why the oil light came on, but it had new big end and main bearings, a new oil pump and god knows what else. Nowadays I would probably replace the oil pump first, as it was a 10 minute job, before stripping the engine down. ::)
Eventually the engine was reinstalled and it fired up and ran fine, but there was a slight leak from the rad. This was a few days before Christmas and swmbo was desperate to get some Christmas shopping in, so I took plenty of coolant to top up and took her shopping. On the way back, about 5 miles from home, the temp gauge started to rise so I puled over to top up the coolant.
I wasn't going to risk warping the alloy 16v head, as a new one was over £1000, which  was easily a couple of months wages at the time.
I made the fateful decision not to switch the engine off in case it wouldn't start again, and instead wrapped a cloth around my hand and gently eased the cap off the rad. The cap shot upwards, hit the bonnet, fell back down, jammed itself between the cam pulleys and cut through the cambelt. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
It was left at the side of the road over Christmas - didn't give a toss if someone nicked it - and  towed back home after the holiday.
The outcome wasn't that bad. Two slightly bent inlet valves had to be replaced as well as the cambelt and various gaskets, so another few weeks dealing with VX parts dept. retards. Some things never change.
I learnt a hell of a lot (mostly the hard way) during this experience, but as I'm sure you can imagine, the car was most definitely on borrowed time after all this aggro at the worst possible time.  ::) ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

« Reply #25 on: 30 March 2017, 12:39:36 »

I feel sorry for your wife,  never mind the bleedin car.  ;D

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 30 March 2017, 19:15:44 »

Albs, that's one of the most unlucky stories I've ever heard  :'(
RIP Paul Lovejoy

STEMO

« Reply #27 on: 30 March 2017, 19:26:36 »

Albs, that's one of the most unlucky stories I've ever heard  :'(
The part about the rad cap is quite funny though.  ;D

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 30 March 2017, 19:36:51 »

It is now. It wasn't at the time. Swmbo hated that car before that happened, but it become utterly unbridled hate after it.  ::)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 30 March 2017, 20:08:07 »

Capri gearbox removal trapped my fingers while underneath the car , then the jack slipped  .. managed to free myself and lucky i put a wheel under the car just in case .. have used axle stands ever since instead of engineering bricks  :D
Back wheel came of my Cortina and overtook me down the hill  :o :D
Omegatitis

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 30 March 2017, 22:00:12 »

Negotiating through my local deathtrap scrapyard my way was blocked by a scaff pole standing upright, I put my hand on the nearest car and booted the bar out the way, it was holding up the hatch of the VX Sintra my hand was resting on the c pillar of, the bar had been holding it up while someone had removed the gas struts so the whole thing dropped shut at 100mph trapping my fingers :o :o, I could barely croak a HELP ;D, no one came that way for a good while to release me !!!
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

STEMO

« Reply #31 on: 30 March 2017, 22:14:53 »

Negotiating through my local deathtrap scrapyard my way was blocked by a scaff pole standing upright, I put my hand on the nearest car and booted the bar out the way, it was holding up the hatch of the VX Sintra my hand was resting on the c pillar of, the bar had been holding it up while someone had removed the gas struts so the whole thing dropped shut at 100mph trapping my fingers :o :o, I could barely croak a HELP ;D, no one came that way for a good while to release me !!!
Ouch  :'(

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #32 on: 30 March 2017, 23:17:57 »

I'm impressed that you could hear a wheel bearing over the straight cut gearbox!

So am I - had a straight cut box in my 1293cc Cooper S racer, and the noise from the box coupled with the noise from the exhaust meant I could hear SFA other noises  ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 30 March 2017, 23:33:38 »

Well i was desperate by then and had the front end in the air turning the wheels trying to locate the noise.

I had a friend whose lifes work was doing up SAAB 96s. One he had rebuilt from a shell including respray. We went out for first test run. Got up to speed and the bonnet flew off ( he hadnt fastened it on at all )and over the car landing on the road. He looked in the mirror just as he was saying it looks alright ,the next car run right over it. I still cant believe the guy didnt see it!
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 30 March 2017, 23:58:26 »

Taking a tow bar off a Mk2 Grannie, ok till i released the main nut and axle dropped (hadn,t supported it properly). Luckily there was a WD40 spray can in the way so only partially trapped my hand and finally managed to pull it free before can crushed completely. Ended up with badly grazed hand  and took weeks for the numbness to wear off. Quite lucky really, it could have bee a lot worse. ::)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 31 March 2017, 01:49:36 »

Taking a tow bar off a Mk2 Grannie, ok till i released the main nut and axle dropped (hadn,t supported it properly). Luckily there was a WD40 spray can in the way so only partially trapped my hand and finally managed to pull it free before can crushed completely. Ended up with badly grazed hand  and took weeks for the numbness to wear off. Quite lucky really, it could have bee a lot worse. ::)
That the sodding great nut in the boot floor? So your assistant can't do anything to help as they're stuck in the boot ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 31 March 2017, 21:14:08 »

2.8 Ford Granada Estate with central locking. Going to visit my wife in hospital after an operation, when I started smelling a burning smell, decided it was from the car in front, until I saw the smoke from the top of the door cards. Fortunately, I've always kept a tool roll in the boot and although it felt like slow motion, that is the quickest I've ever disconnected a battery. Couldn't see across the car for smoke, but fortunately no fire. Worked out where the fuse was and removed and limped back home. Jumped on my motorbike and got the the hospital, just as visiting time was ending to be greeted by the wife shouting... and where the hell have you been! >:(

Took the door cards off to find 5 melted central locking solenoids. The closer they were to the battery, the more burn't they were. As they were about £35 each, I never bothered replacing them along with the momentary solonoid.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 02 April 2017, 12:07:23 »

2.8 Ford Granada Estate with central locking. Going to visit my wife in hospital after an operation, when I started smelling a burning smell, decided it was from the car in front, until I saw the smoke from the top of the door cards. Fortunately, I've always kept a tool roll in the boot and although it felt like slow motion, that is the quickest I've ever disconnected a battery. Couldn't see across the car for smoke, but fortunately no fire. Worked out where the fuse was and removed and limped back home. Jumped on my motorbike and got the the hospital, just as visiting time was ending to be greeted by the wife shouting... and where the hell have you been! >:(

Took the door cards off to find 5 melted central locking solenoids. The closer they were to the battery, the more burn't they were. As they were about £35 each, I never bothered replacing them along with the momentary solonoid.

On site doing an inspection on a 18t  MAN 4x4 when the starter motor jammed on. took seconds to start smoking.

As said the quickest battery disconnection ever with fire extinguisher to hand but luckily not needed. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.