Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: If you purchased a brand new motor....  (Read 9074 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Onanists always think outside the box.

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
Re: If you purchased a brand new motor....
« Reply #16 on: 30 March 2017, 09:37:24 »

I just go with the servicing schedule. If you buy at the right price you can justify to yourself (just about) that you have a bit of money in the pot for repairs.

Phaeton was new 8 years ago. I don't wash it or wax it myself  (well I did wax it myself 3 years ago following a VW day somewhere)- maybe it gets washed 6 times a year by others.

It looks like new and does the job. You can spend all the loving care you like on a car and it will still kick you in the teeth with something you cannot have predicted. Extract the maximum you can on extended warranty but depending on price you may be better just putting that money into a fund for future repairs.

Just take the hit on depreciation and make sure you are happy with that trade off as having had the new car experience.

[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30 March 2017, 09:38:25 »

Why buy new, get an ex demo, will still have full warranty, few more toys, and be 10-15% than then unregistered one next to it.
Hoof'land storeman.

aaronjb

« Reply #18 on: 30 March 2017, 09:41:16 »

No way I'd cover the seats. If I've paid for heated leather I want my ass on it :P.

Did BMW know your bare arse had been on the seats when you returned your car?  :P ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30 March 2017, 09:56:10 »

No way I'd cover the seats. If I've paid for heated leather I want my ass on it :P.

Did BMW know your bare arse had been on the seats when you returned your car?  :P ;D
He kept complaining about the skidding, but the ABS system showed no fault codes. It all starts to make sense. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 30 March 2017, 09:56:46 »

.....what would you do to ensure it would be non-problematic for years to come?

So. I have this mental idea that one day I'm just going to say "f!?k it" and beg, steal borrow the money to buy myself a brand new mustang.

And it got me thinking.

Obviously everyone has a list of things that need doing on a recently purchased used vehicle I.e. welding, bodywork, maintenance stuff.

But if you purchased a brand new car what would you do to look after it and reduce the need for future things like the aforementioned welding.

Things that spring to mind for me.....

1.) under seal the living shite out of the underneath, chassis, any bare metal etc.
2.) copperslip every nut n bolt on the suspension, subframe etc (not remove them lol just a coat on the outside)
3.) change all fluids n filters every quarter regardless of mileage. Yes that's f.....g nuts but I am nuts and it's my brand new motor  :P ;D
4.) obviously observe the break in period to the T.
5.) I haven't looked in to it but I'm sure you can get some paint protection stuff. I'd do this.
6.) seat covers from day one.

What are your thoughts  :y

Interesting one. I've only bought two new cars, the first was a '72 Renault 16. I had the car undersealed by  Zeibart who are still in business. It turns out that the internal sealing of the 'chassis' blocked all the drain holes designed to allow moisture to drain, and probably contributed to its 'chassis' failure earlier than expected in '77 :(

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 30 March 2017, 10:02:47 »

To answer the question, I think I'd probably get some cavity wax into every nook that I could, then do a DIY service in-between each of the manufacturer service intervals. Can't really see the need to do much more. My Omega came to me at 4 yrs/40k miles. It's now on 205k and 15 years and my only regret is that I could have tried to get some wax into the rear wheel arch seams when it was pristine, as they are now starting to bubble. Mechanically, it's sound and I've had to do relatively little to it save for the usual Omega niggles that they all suffer.

This is all hypothetical, of course, because I'd never subject myself to the depreciation hit of driving it off the forecourt.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 30 March 2017, 10:20:58 »

Use it.....enjoy it......don't worry about it. Then once a week hand it over to the Poles and Lithuanians for a 'gritty sponge' all over massage. :)

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 30 March 2017, 10:25:00 »

grease up all metal pipes and the uncoated ends of all brake pipes and unions

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 30 March 2017, 10:27:03 »

Use it.....enjoy it......don't worry about it. Then once a week hand it over to the Poles and Lithuanians for a 'gritty sponge' all over massage. :)

...... and then trade it in for the next new one in 3 years time.  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

« Reply #25 on: 30 March 2017, 12:52:47 »

There is absolutely no need for further rust proofing on modern cars.

Also, at your age, Webby, you would soon get bored of owning the same car, and your wife would be embarrassed at you driving around in an old car that should have been scrapped years ago.
Oh.....wait a minute......... ;D

citroenguy

• Sweden
    • 2005 Citroën C5 2.0SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 30 March 2017, 13:38:18 »

Also, at your age, Webby, you would soon get bored of owning the same car, and your wife would be embarrassed at you driving around in an old car that should have been scrapped years ago.

Maby if you live in Spain.. But anywhere them idiots throw salt on the roads, it is a very good thing. If you are gonna keep the car for a long time that is.
124k on the C5
I like Omegas Senators and all other big 90´s euro saloons.
Previous motors: 3x Rover 600s, Citroën ZX, Volvo 850

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 30 March 2017, 13:44:06 »

Maby if you live in Spain.. But anywhere them idiots throw salt on the roads, it is a very good thing. If you are gonna keep the car for a long time that is.
It keeps me employed :D

If we had reliable, proper winters with proper tyres and proper drivers, salt wouldn't be necessary... :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

citroenguy

• Sweden
    • 2005 Citroën C5 2.0SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 30 March 2017, 13:53:39 »

It keeps me employed :D

If we had reliable, proper winters with proper tyres and proper drivers, salt wouldn't be necessary... :-X

Indeed..
When you get passed by people doing 80mph in a blizzard, in the snow covered outside lane.. All other drivers must be seen as dangerous.
124k on the C5
I like Omegas Senators and all other big 90´s euro saloons.
Previous motors: 3x Rover 600s, Citroën ZX, Volvo 850

STEMO

« Reply #29 on: 30 March 2017, 15:11:54 »

We haven't had any grit on the roads up here for ages. It's just not cold enough and, besides, the council can't afford it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 18 queries.