Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Self-levelling suspension  (Read 3356 times)

itisme

Self-levelling suspension
« on: 28 July 2006, 08:46:13 »

The rear of my Omega seems to be riding a bit high. I have played with the level sensor under the back of the car with the engine running.
I find that if I lift the lever the back of the car rises, and if I lower the lever the back of the car stays where it is.
I figure that the pump must be working or the car wouldn’t rise.
Is it safe to assume that the level sensor is shot?
[smiley=dankk2.gif]

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Self-levelling suspension
« Reply #1 on: 28 July 2006, 10:23:14 »

Its possible, clean the ball joint assemblies and work the level sensing lever over its full travel a few times to clean the internal track up.

The self leveling sensor is more than just a sensor, it has the full control unit in it. I also have a problem with mine so will be removing it for a strip down and investigation shortly so watch this space.

itisme

« Reply #2 on: 28 July 2006, 10:37:22 »

The self leveling sensor is more than just a sensor, it has the full control unit in it. quote]

I guess it's not cheap then!
I'll try moving it up and down a few more times. It can't do any harm. I'll do it with the engine off so that it doesn't get any higher.
I'll watch for your post.
In the meantime I'll enquire about the price of a new one.
 [smiley=dankk2.gif]

Sir_Mixalot

« Reply #3 on: 28 July 2006, 10:49:43 »

Roughly where in the sensor?

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 July 2006, 11:03:16 »

Self leveling sensor is on the drivers side rear trailing arm near the diff, not to be confused with the HID level sensors which are on the passenger side rear trailing arm and passenger side front wishbone

itisme

« Reply #5 on: 28 July 2006, 12:28:03 »

Wow! £212 retail!
But theres good news too.  I bought it from a trader Roger Budden Autos.
http://www.rb-auto.co.uk/search.cfm
I e-mailed Mr Budden, and although it doesn't appear to be covered under the terms of the insurance backed warrantee, he has told me that he’ll get it sorted, even if he has to bring me another car and take this one away to be fixed.
Whilst I’m writing this, Mr Budden has just phoned me. His mechanic is of the opinion that it is probably working OK and just needs a new link.
When I lift the arm I can see the car rising, but when I lower the arm I can’t see it fall. He reckons that it falls slowly, and I probably won’t be able to see it fall.
He also reckons that it is standing at about the correct height.
The height to the highest point of the wheel arch is 29” and the gap between the wheel arch and the tyre is about 4 ½ “.
The height of my previous Omega Elite (96 P) was about 26 ½” to the top of the wheel arch.
Am I comparing chalk and cheese? Does the 03 model stand 3” higher than the earlier one? Was my old one too low?

PS. He's right, it does slowly fall back. I can measure the fall after about 30 seconds. I just can't see it falling. I guess I'm worrying about nothing. I've only had the car a fortnight and I can't believe that there's nothing wrong with it. [smiley=embarassed.gif]

« Last Edit: 28 July 2006, 13:02:22 by itisme »

Allenm

• Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 July 2006, 13:07:47 »

I've only had the car a fortnight and I can't believe that there's nothing wrong with it. [smiley=embarassed.gif]

Give it another 5 minutes  ;D ;)

itisme

« Reply #7 on: 28 July 2006, 13:39:05 »

I've only had the car a fortnight and I can't believe that there's nothing wrong with it. [smiley=embarassed.gif]

Give it another 5 minutes  ;D ;)
Oh ye of little faith. [smiley=grin.gif]

TheOutcast

« Reply #8 on: 17 August 2006, 16:47:35 »

Its possible, clean the ball joint assemblies and work the level sensing lever over its full travel a few times to clean the internal track up.

The self levelling sensor is more than just a sensor, it has the full control unit in it. I also have a problem with mine so will be removing it for a strip down and investigation shortly so watch this space.

Hi Mark, did you ever get round to checking out your level sensor?
If you did, what was the result.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 August 2006, 16:52:40 »

I did, it was working fine but I didn't like the height of the rear so I have made the connecting rod slightly longer (about 10mm) which should lower the ride height (not tried it yet!).

I suspect it can also be adjusted via Tech 2

TheOutcast

« Reply #10 on: 17 August 2006, 17:04:44 »

I did, it was working fine but I didn't like the height of the rear so I have made the connecting rod slightly longer (about 10mm) which should lower the ride height (not tried it yet!).

I'd have thought that making the rod longer, would push the lever on the sensor higher, making the pump work, and hence lifting the back higher? [smiley=undecided.gif]

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 August 2006, 17:19:23 »

No, it makes the sensor think the back end is higher than it actualy is....if you get my drift...

TheOutcast

« Reply #12 on: 17 August 2006, 17:41:22 »

No, it makes the sensor think the back end is higher than it actually is....if you get my drift...
Not really, no.  [smiley=huh.gif]
When I load the boot, the back of the car goes down, which pushes the lever up and makes the pump work. When the car is back to it's correct height the pump stops. I still can't see how a longer rod will make the car settle lower.
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what it is you're trying to do? [smiley=embarassed.gif]]

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 August 2006, 18:04:18 »

Mark, if you're passing my way and want to try connecting Tech2 to lower, just let me know :)
Grumpy old man

TheOutcast

« Reply #14 on: 19 September 2006, 12:08:27 »

Hi Mark,
Did you ever you get round to trying a longer rod?
Did it have the effect that wanted, or did you have to use Tech2?
If it worked I might try it myself. I wouldn't mind lowering the back of my car by an inch or so; I don't like the big gap between the wheel and wheel arch; but I don't want the trouble and expense of new springs etc. [smiley=beer.gif]
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 22 queries.