Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Bimbo Brains  (Read 11996 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Bimbo Brains
« Reply #75 on: 15 July 2019, 13:34:44 »

Mine's all mutual funds in a SIPP with effectively zero bonds and minimal cash or European exposure.

My small, ie six months worth, DC pension hasn't grown since I got it two years ago. Make of that what you will. I would move it to the SIPP and make it work some, but sadly it's stuck in its own place...
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 15 July 2019, 13:36:35 »

One of my (high growth) pension pots lost an enormous amount overnight when the EU referendum result came in. We're talk 30% plus, in a few hours. It hasn't recovered from that.  Thats on top of the big hit it was taking during the global downturn from about 2008 to 2015ish.

So with high growths come high drops as well and these come round regularly, which is why most companies tend to recommend moving more from risky growth to lower growth but more stable investments in the 10-12yrs leading up to retirement.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 15 July 2019, 13:37:58 »

Depends largely on what it is invested in and how it is managed.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 15 July 2019, 13:38:29 »

You can pretty much guarantee 8% without even trying...

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/042415/what-average-annual-return-sp-500.asp

My pension fund(s) would disagree .. one swings between 0% and 4% annual return, another is about 6-8% and the third (smallest, riskiest) swings wildly between 15% and -5%... (those are all BlackRock managed)

I'm in the highest risk portfolio that standard Life offered our scheme and that's only 55% equity. Even that has swung between -15% and +23% over the last 5yrs  :o.
I just couldn't live with that uncertainty. Sleepless nights and all that. But.......you'll find that doesn't kick in till you're in your fifties, that's when you start to fret.........about everything really.

Yes. I don't look at it, other than the annual statement. Fortunately scheme administrators/trustees know that most people aren't interested in their pensions for about the first 40yrs of their membership, so there is a process that happens whereby my investments shift 'automatically' to less risky categories as the pension counts down to my stated retirement age (65 in my case). So I'm only carrying a large amount of risk up until 45, in the last 10yrs before retirement, I'll mostly hold A rated bonds and Gov't gilts - very low return (at or just above inflation), but highly stable.

I think my pension strategy wipes the floor with any of those mentioned previously. Look for someone twenty years younger than you, check out their earnings potential and, if it all adds up, marry them.   ;D

Ahh, if only we all had your wit and charm old chap...

Mine's all mutual funds in a SIPP with effectively zero bonds and minimal cash or European exposure.

My small, ie six months worth, DC pension hasn't grown since I got it two years ago. Make of that what you will. I would move it to the SIPP and make it work some, but sadly it's stuck in its own place...

Interesting, I thought you could transfer into a registered SIPP, obviously I was mistaken...

I've found from knowing a good number of them that accountants make universally poor investment managers - probably too risk-averse by nature. So I'm leaving it to someone else for now.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 15 July 2019, 13:43:03 »

One of my (high growth) pension pots lost an enormous amount overnight when the EU referendum result came in. We're talk 30% plus, in a few hours. It hasn't recovered from that.  Thats on top of the big hit it was taking during the global downturn from about 2008 to 2015ish.

So with high growths come high drops as well and these come round regularly, which is why most companies tend to recommend moving more from risky growth to lower growth but more stable investments in the 10-12yrs leading up to retirement.

High growth with a regulated pension company *tends* to mean FTSE 250 or AIM listed UK businesses as there's many fewer regulatory hoops to jump through (thankfully) compared to investing in BRIC countries or commercial property or anything more risky. These, unlike the ftse 100 (which were buoyed up) took a battering over brexit.  :-[

However, as DG is demonstrating, if you have a SIPP, you can pretty much invest it in anything you like (within reason).

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 15 July 2019, 13:50:42 »

High growth with a regulated pension company *tends* to mean FTSE 250 or AIM listed UK businesses as there's many fewer regulatory hoops to jump through (thankfully) compared to investing in BRIC countries or commercial property or anything more risky. These, unlike the ftse 100 (which were buoyed up) took a battering over brexit.  :-[

However, as DG is demonstrating, if you have a SIPP, you can pretty much invest it in anything you like (within reason).
It was a combo of UK and emerging markets offshore, to get the best growth (as I stopped paying into that one a while back)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 15 July 2019, 13:52:37 »

I think the bloke in the restaurant last night had the best investment type....

I thought he was a bit agitated and distracted by the cricket. He went completely radio rental when they won.  Turns out he had put £3k on England to win at the start of the series, at 12:1
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 15 July 2019, 14:24:53 »

I have a pretty good retirement plan. I don't intend to retire until Im at deaths door.  :)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

« Reply #83 on: 15 July 2019, 14:41:13 »

I have a pretty good retirement plan. I don't intend to retire until Im at deaths door.  :)
That would be in............about now  ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 15 July 2019, 15:00:07 »

I think the bloke in the restaurant last night had the best investment type....

I thought he was a bit agitated and distracted by the cricket. He went completely radio rental when they won.  Turns out he had put £3k on England to win at the start of the series, at 12:1
That'll make a dent in the mortgage  8)

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 15 July 2019, 15:01:51 »

30% drop is moderate. It's not considered a 'crash' till it drops 40%, and these can be expected (though not predicted!) on average once every 7-10 years. Some high risk funds have the capability of dropping 90% overnight. People generally don't moan when a fund is going up at 25% a year, but then in year 5 when it drops 90% all hell breaks loose because they haven't understood the risk/reward balance has two sides.

But yes on your second paragraph - with risk comes the potential for reward. More risk in general brings larger reward, and in general as you get closer to retirement you should probably reduce the risk of a big drop unless you are active in managing your investments and know what you're doing.

STEMO's better half has a teachers pension, which isn't invested as such. It's a promise from the govt to pay. It's paid for by govt income (AKA taxes), and if they have to, they'll just put up taxes to pay for it. As such, it's as safe as can be.

A quick check of 3578 funds listed on Trustnet shows "Polar Capital Global Technology I GBP" is currently top of the league table for 5yr returns, coming in at +227%. However it carries a risk rating of 175 (the average fund is sub 100). Bottom of the league is "MFM Junior Oils Trust P Acc" coming in at -56% over 5 years, with a risk rating of 244. Not sure what either of those funds do, and frankly not interested either, but I'd suggest you shouldn't be in either unless you know exactly why.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 15 July 2019, 15:39:49 »

I will be 60 in a few months time. Im guessing Ive got another 10 years work and 15 years life left in me. We shall see.  :)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

« Reply #87 on: 15 July 2019, 15:48:15 »

I will be 60 in a few months time. Im guessing Ive got another 10 years work and 15 years life left in me. We shall see.  :)
Well......don't break any more bones. And stay out of the cold.  ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 01 August 2019, 17:39:54 »

Having retrieved the Battlebus this morning, I parked it on the road outside my house.  Now our road might not be very busy, but its also not very wide.

So Bimbo Brains, the daughter of the woman who lives nearly opposite, has just arrived home, and parked outside her house, essentially blocking the road.

What goes through the minds of Gen Z people?  FFS

Its our fault, this is the society with bred and cultured  >:(
Turns out her mates are as bad....

Mrs TB lift shares, and its her turn to drive, so her colleague left his car on the road at 6am, outside my house, not causing any issues.

I was on one of those tedious conf calls that blight modern workplaces, daydreaming and looking out the window, as my working day overran drew to a close.  And watched in disbelief as one of bimbo brain's (female) mates turned up, and parked right outside her house, again, completely blocking any access for 4 wheeled vehicles.  Completely oblivious to her complete stupidity.

WTF are wrong with "adults" now.

Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 01 August 2019, 17:50:23 »

Apparently they are all 'adulting' now... Rather than being actual adults :-X

https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-h3g-gb&q=Dictionary#dobs=adulting
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.