Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: auto box problem  (Read 1941 times)

markiemark

• kettering.....northamptonshie.
  • hi to you all
    • View Profile
auto box problem
« on: 01 September 2006, 23:31:46 »

hi to you all.....i have a 98 3litre elite estate with 130000 on the clock..when i select drive it sometimes feels like it is trying to pull off in a high gear.i have no change up and down.nor no kickdown.1 2 and 3 are fine.computer says.auto box and check light is lit..if i pull over turn off engine and fire her up again gear box works in drive fine..the problem is eratic and i never no when this is going to happen..it can be fine for days then play up..ie i did a 90 mile trip with no problems.parked up at home that night fine...got in car next morning no drive..i drove it in 1 2 and 3..left it stood at work for 8 hours..got in it end of day...you guessed it..drive working fine...it is fine at the moment....any advice please...cheers mark

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: auto box problem
« Reply #1 on: 01 September 2006, 23:59:19 »

Check autobox fluid level.  In fact as 130k might be worth changing fluid anyway...
Grumpy old man

markiemark

• hi to you all
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 September 2006, 00:26:13 »

i am on the ball..got it booked in for monday for fluid change as a starting point...cheers...mark

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 September 2006, 00:33:47 »

Just noticed something spooky - we both drive 3l Omegas, ride large Kawasaki tourers, own Rovers, and live in Northamptonshire....
Grumpy old man

markiemark

• hi to you all
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 September 2006, 00:39:15 »

want to no something else..i had a zx10 before this the early one though....will get some pics up when i have time.........dont tell me you originaly came from derby..i did..lived kettering last fo years......i also have a volvo 850 t5 which going to sell shortly.....had a 2.5 cdx full spec before this omega..cooked the engine on the a14 when a water pipe burst at 90mph....comp said water level low but who is looking at comp when doing that speed

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 September 2006, 00:44:38 »

My ZX10 is the old one - the one that predated your ZZR...
Grumpy old man

markiemark

• hi to you all
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 September 2006, 00:47:39 »

same here..i had a mint red and white one...all standed apart from 4 into 1....a lot of bike for so little money these days

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 September 2006, 11:05:32 »

Mine is the black and silver, but has the rarer style to the way its done. Standard apart from 4 to 1 pipes. Was in really tidy condition until I did some acrobats on it last year  :-[ - and I've had to repair the side fairing (not very well either :() as I can't find another with same colour scheme...
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #8 on: 02 September 2006, 12:07:17 »

Could be crank sensor as well as the gearbox requires the RPM signal
« Last Edit: 02 September 2006, 12:07:48 by Martin_1962 »

Hillper

• Intermediate Member
  • Aylesbury
  • Werthers. Winter, too hard.  Summer, too soft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 September 2006, 12:39:22 »

Markiemark,

Mine exhibited exactly the same symptoms as yours (though not quite as often).

Nearly got ripped off at a dealer, but the guys here advised me to change the oil AND filter first.

Filter was gunged up.  Oil was dirty.

I got it done for me by my trusty mechanic as I'm lazy.  It's not happened since.

Filter is quite expensive (£50), but it was a lot less than what the dealer wanted to charge for a new ECU!

I hope yours is the same fault!

Good luck.  Let us know the result.
« Last Edit: 02 September 2006, 12:39:42 by Hillper »
Mods.  'Hillper boot release'.  Dimming mirror.  Cruise control. Rear parking sensors.  Becker/Rockford Fosgate/Infinity/Alpine audio.

SHARPEY

• Elland
  • Sod it i'm off to the pub !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 September 2006, 13:25:16 »

want to no something else..i had a zx10 before this the early one though....will get some pics up when i have time.........dont tell me you originaly came from derby..i did..lived kettering last fo years......i also have a volvo 850 t5 which going to sell shortly.....had a 2.5 cdx full spec before this omega..cooked the engine on the a14 when a water pipe burst at 90mph....comp said water level low but who is looking at comp when doing that speed
Hi Mark. Just wondered what year the T5 is and what you will be asking for it ? Iv had 2 of them and they rock. Little too much power for the engine seals/gaskets but a cracking bit of kit all the same.

markiemark

• hi to you all
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 September 2006, 14:09:59 »

the t5 volvo will be open to offers.its the 850 t5..goes like a rocket...body is a1 no dents.no rust..its ruby red.halve black leather.had air con regassed 1 month ago...just as the sun went in.....its got the volvo cd stack system....tyres in good order....think everything works..no engine leaks..sounds right and runs right....mot is 10 months with tax untill end november.......THE NOT SO GOOD BIT..she as done just over 200.000 miles....she would have gone much earlier but the god dam thing just keeps on passing its mot with nothing needed doing.same as last time not one thing...now that puts a smile on ya face when you see a lot newer cars failing......forgot ....it on a l plate and its the t5 estate....bells have always service the car up to 190.000....going to put it on my front with a 750 price tag and see what happens

SHARPEY

• Elland
  • Sod it i'm off to the pub !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 September 2006, 14:18:11 »

the t5 volvo will be open to offers.its the 850 t5..goes like a rocket...body is a1 no dents.no rust..its ruby red.halve black leather.had air con regassed 1 month ago...just as the sun went in.....its got the volvo cd stack system....tyres in good order....think everything works..no engine leaks..sounds right and runs right....mot is 10 months with tax untill end november.......THE NOT SO GOOD BIT..she as done just over 200.000 miles....she would have gone much earlier but the god dam thing just keeps on passing its mot with nothing needed doing.same as last time not one thing...now that puts a smile on ya face when you see a lot newer cars failing......forgot ....it on a l plate and its the t5 estate....bells have always service the car up to 190.000....going to put it on my front with a 750 price tag and see what happens
Ok Mark thanks a lot. Bit older than I would be looking for but good luck anyway. Someone will take it off your hands for that price. The milleage is nothing to worry about. They go on forever with a regular service. I heard of one that is still going strong with over 500,000 on the clock !  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.