Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alarm Question & TrafficMaster Question...  (Read 1869 times)

PaulW

• Omega Knight
  • Somewhere near Manchester
  • Come on you fiend!
    • Some crappy Insignia
    • View Profile
Alarm Question & TrafficMaster Question...
« on: 02 September 2006, 13:05:31 »

Putting the 2 questions in the 1 thread, might make it confusing, but stops spamming the board in a sense... (I don't care about my postcount as much as others ;D)

Right... Firstly, the Alarm

Did all Omega's come with an alarm?  Or was it optional??  My 98-R doesnt seem to have one, I cant for the life of me find a little flashing red light, there are no internal ultra-sonic sensors above the top of the B-pillar, no pips when I lock the car (although the lights do flash, again when deadlocking).  So, does it sound like there is no alarm there?

And Secondly, the TrafficMaster Gigery thingy...

I don't have a clue if this works, or what...  I'm currently using an old stereo from my Corsa, so there is no Aux input, the CAR400 I had was proper goosed!  It just kept saying 7 SAFE, then without even asking for a code would count down, and now its on 5 SAFE... took it to a stereo techy guy, he had it 2 days and said the same... Quality Phillips ::)  BUTTT Anyway... Should the little red LED light up on the switch when I press it? as it doesnt... Ever...  is there  a seperate fuse relay, or is it wired into the Aux of the CAR400 in somehow???

Also, would it be worth keeping it for use in-leu with my TomTom to 'try' avoid jams, or should I just attack the loom & rip it out??  If I do keep it, how would I go about wiring it into a newer headunit with Aux inputs, is it a simple task or...???

There is also no manual for it, and Vaux are about as helpful as a sleeping cat...

Cheers if anyone can shed any light whatsoever for me...

Paul
Humbugs...

Kev

• Omega Knight
  • Glasgow
  • .:The OmegaProject:.
    • View Profile
Re: Alarm Question & TrafficMaster Question...
« Reply #1 on: 02 September 2006, 13:18:01 »

You would need an aux input on your stereo for TM to work.

The led only illuminates when you are on a road covered by the TM network, mostly motorways. If there is congestion the light will flash red and you will hear spoken details through the stereo. If all is ok the light is green.

You need to subscribe to TM annually, see http://www.trafficmaster.net/login.asp for more info.

You would however need to get it connected to your stereo again to find out the licence code required for renewing your subscription. This is done by tapping the button in a certain sequence.

If you still want it going, and need the instructions, i can scan mine and e-mail you them if you like.
OmegaProject.co.uk .:.  Fuelled with passion...
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/xthreezero/omegaproject/oof-sig.jpg[/IMG]

PaulW

• Omega Knight
  • Come on you fiend!
    • Some crappy Insignia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 September 2006, 13:23:54 »

Cheers for the quick reply Kev!  If you could scan/email the manual that would be great!  pdwollaston (insert funky spiral a symbol here) orange (and insert what is next to a comma here) net, its all good!  Rang TM about the manual initially & they said to go to vaux for the manual as they wont have it, went to vaux, gave up!

I might have a go at 'botching' the Aux feed into one of those Goodman tape/cd cassette converter things, should perform the same function initially, but will get it properly wired in to begin with!  I was unsure if the red light came on when you press it or what, but now least I know it only flashes when entering a TM zone if congestion is there...  Already knew about the subscription though!
« Last Edit: 02 September 2006, 13:43:16 by PaulW »
Humbugs...

Kev

• Omega Knight
  • Glasgow
  • .:The OmegaProject:.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 September 2006, 13:32:33 »

I'll look them out for you as soon as i get a minute and get 'em sent.

If you get the stereo out you should be able to follow the cables back to the control box, which is usually stuck up underneath the dash. The unit is supplied from the same connector that feeds the radio, so if it doesn't work i'd make sure the connections are still in place, in case they were disturbed when removing the 400.

Also, you should've just PM'd your address to me as spam bots can still read your address, even when written like that.  ;)
« Last Edit: 02 September 2006, 13:33:08 by Kev »
OmegaProject.co.uk .:.  Fuelled with passion...
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/xthreezero/omegaproject/oof-sig.jpg[/IMG]

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 September 2006, 13:37:53 »

I've yet to see an Omega without alarm. However, the Tech2 does have a central locking function, so I guess its possible (central locking is normally covered by alarm system otherwise)
Grumpy old man

PaulW

• Omega Knight
  • Come on you fiend!
    • Some crappy Insignia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 September 2006, 13:44:40 »

Kev - I'm lazy and tired  :D hence the posting in here, although I modified it slightly...

TB - well I seriously do doubt mine is without an alarm... there is just nothing flashing inside the car, no ultra sonics, nothing...  maybe its just broked :-[
Humbugs...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 September 2006, 13:47:45 »

try it, see if you can set off ;)  (sit in car, arm car, wait 1 min, then unlock by pulling up locking plunger and get out.

More scientific way, remove scuttle, and see if there is a horn and power sounder there.
Grumpy old man

PaulW

• Omega Knight
  • Come on you fiend!
    • Some crappy Insignia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 September 2006, 13:58:28 »

I'll try the first method first - neighbours annoy me so I'll annoy them ;D  Then if nothing, I'll remove the scuttle when its not raining & report back...  For now, bed!
Humbugs...

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 September 2006, 15:16:03 »

Alarm - My previous 97R Reflection did not have an alarm, my current 01Y CDX does.

Look for the Switch under the bonnet:

If you don't have it, you probably don't have an alarm.
Alas, no more Omegas....

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 September 2006, 15:27:18 »

The Traffic Master Oracle was fitted as standard to the Omega from 98 onwards, the subscription fee is 330 per year or £55 for two years. It works OK, and I renew it every year, even if it is somewhat outdated. Main limitations:

1. Not all A roads are covered, B roads are rarely covered.

2. It will only inform you about traffic conditions on roads as you get near them, but you can’t query a specific road in advance. This makes route planning a problem, because you don’t know in advance what the traffic is like, and by the time you are very near the Motorway you chose it is too late to find alternative route.

3. The information is not accurate, the ‘delay’ times quoted are fictitious, but this is not a problem once you get used to it.

4. The voice system is presumably easier and cheaper to implement than a visual system, but it can intrusive, as well as annoying if you happen to be listening to something on the radio when TrafficMaster cuts in with useless information regarding a road you do not intend taking anyway. Yes, it can be disabled, i.e. used in ‘Manual Mode’ but you don’t normally bother…

5. It will lend you in trouble if it cuts-in while you talk to the wife on the mobile: ‘who is this woman??? I thought you were alone in the car!’  ;D
« Last Edit: 02 September 2006, 15:28:14 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.