Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mid always on. Ignition lock problem?  (Read 4028 times)

MonzaGSE

• Intermediate Member
  • Norway
    • 95 Opel Omega mv6
    • View Profile
Mid always on. Ignition lock problem?
« on: 12 November 2014, 22:23:15 »

Hi. My mid suddenly decided to stay awake all the time. Works fine when driving, but stays on when ignition off and key out. Lights all night and shows temperature an clock/radio. Tried disconnecting radio but it still stays on. Thought maybe there is a problem with the ignition lock? Tried it and found that the horn works with ignition off. Is this normal on omega? Im not sure but i seem to remember that the horn didnt use to work without ignition on?

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
Re: Mid always on. Ignition lock problem?
« Reply #1 on: 12 November 2014, 22:26:39 »

When turning the ignition off, as you rotate the key, pull on the key towards the drivers door.

Common problem and a squirt of WD40 (break of Steve) will help for a short while.

You need to strip down the ignition barrel as per the guide!  :y
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 November 2014, 16:08:28 »

My radio sometimes holds the MID on until you disconnect standby power from it, but that doesn't sound liek the issue in this case.

Does the radio stay on after the key is removed? If so, I'd say the W pin on the ignition lock is staying live, so worth checking the barrel and the switch that bolts onto the back of it.

Failing that.. have you got anything else connected to the accessory switching line from the radio that could be interfering with it? Amplifier, perhaps?
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 November 2014, 16:40:00 »

Usual cause is the ignition barrel not popping out when the key is removed

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 November 2014, 16:54:48 »

Usual cause is the ignition barrel not popping out when the key is removed
Yep, but if thats the case normally doesn't let you lock the car with the Fob after getting out though.

MonzaGSE

• Intermediate Member
  • Norway
    • 95 Opel Omega mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 November 2014, 18:06:18 »

Hi again. Ignition barrel pops out, and radio turns off at it should. Car is an estate so its an arieal amplifier in the tailgate. Anyway the other day the display started flashing on and of when the car was shut down. (as opposed to staying live constantly). Fiddled around a bit and the display seemed to react to movements of the wiper stalk. Disconnected the stalk. Sprayed some wd40 on the connectors and for the moment at least all is fine:)

MonzaGSE

• Intermediate Member
  • Norway
    • 95 Opel Omega mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 November 2014, 13:20:14 »

Well, the display only behaved for a week before staying on constantly again. Removed the radio again, but this time i also disconnected the connectors buried behind the radio. Used a multimeter and found that the wire which goes from the aerial amplifier feed on the radio has 12v as expected with radio on. This wire feeds the aerial amplifier in the estate, but also sends a radio on signal to pin 8 of the mid. The problem is when radio is of, the wire still had 4,6 volts. Which obviously is enough for the mid to think the radio is on and then stay lit all the time. Anyway even with the radio removed, this wire has constantly around 4,6v. Which looks to me as a wiring problem somewhere between the dash and the tailgate. Disconnected the wire from behind the radio to mid, and mid works fine, but obviously  without radio info.
    So my question is if anybody knows which route the aerial powerfeed follows from behind the radio to the tailgate on a pfl estate? I've checked the obvious problem area where the wires enter the tailgate, and though the wires there are in a bad shape, reinsulating Them didnt help.

05omegav6

« Reply #7 on: 27 November 2014, 18:00:15 »

Runs across the drivers footwell, either in the trunking below carpet or in the loom in front of the pedals (clipped to beam that fuse box cover hinges on), then along offside sill and up the C pillar, then diagonally across roof tob aerial base :y

On the Estate, the aerial has sod all to do with the tailgate ::)

Plugs are:

1. At radio cage.
2. Behind drivers kick panel.
3. In roof about 8" from aerial base.

:y

MonzaGSE

• Intermediate Member
  • Norway
    • 95 Opel Omega mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 November 2014, 21:34:13 »

Thanks for the reply. Very helpful:) but just to clarify the aerial amp IS in the tailgate on the early omegas at least. I know later models have roof aerials. May be different between vauxhall and Opel?

05omegav6

« Reply #9 on: 27 November 2014, 21:42:09 »

I don't have my wiring diagrams to hand... :-\

Do the other tailgate electrics work as advertised?

MonzaGSE

• Intermediate Member
  • Norway
    • 95 Opel Omega mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 November 2014, 22:46:21 »

Yep. Everything else seem to work. Will try to trace the wire in the weekend. Have seen a lot of wires running across the european passenger sides floor. I know its pretty damp down there. Will also try disconnecting the aerial amp an check. Thanks for your input.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 November 2014, 11:49:04 »

I wouldn't mind betting that the aerial base has got damp in it, and you now have some tracking from a live signal to the aerial amp connection. Struggling to think what would have a permanent live feed up there. Boot light perhaps? Not very familiar with estates, I'm afraid.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 November 2014, 12:13:11 »

Thanks for the reply. Very helpful:) but just to clarify the aerial amp IS in the tailgate on the early omegas at least. I know later models have roof aerials. May be different between vauxhall and Opel?
Early PFL Estates didn't have External Antenna Whip, they used the rear window heater as per the saloons. Theres a rubber grommet feed that protects the cables (LHS from memory) from the roof hole to tailgate hole, this normally fails causing the cables to shaft on the metal holes over time, this causes shorts, open ccts, etc and can cause all sorts of issues.

You can normally pull the whole loom either way a few inches and inspect / repair as required, may be worth giving that a bash before you start ripping all the panels apart. 

05omegav6

« Reply #13 on: 28 November 2014, 12:14:09 »

I wouldn't mind betting that the aerial base has got damp in it, and you now have some tracking from a live signal to the aerial amp connection. Struggling to think what would have a permanent live feed up there. Boot light perhaps? Not very familiar with estates, I'm afraid.
Boot light times out iirc :-\

05omegav6

« Reply #14 on: 28 November 2014, 13:49:47 »

Early PFL Estates didn't have External Antenna Whip, they used the rear window heater as per the saloons. Theres a rubber grommet feed that protects the cables (LHS from memory) from the roof hole to tailgate hole, this normally fails causing the cables to shaft on the metal holes over time, this causes shorts, open ccts, etc and can cause all sorts of issues.

You can normally pull the whole loom either way a few inches and inspect / repair as required, may be worth giving that a bash before you start ripping all the panels apart.
Summat new learnt :y
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.