Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Building Advice  (Read 4497 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Building Advice
« on: 02 November 2018, 16:30:31 »

So we have chosen our architect for extending tunnie's towers, plans are now submitted to the council, we await their decision. It could just maybe have been done in permitted development, but advice from many was to go full planning so have all paperwork. Also helps when selling it's all in and approved and for the small sum, a no-brainer really.

Had a few builders around, all coming in at same price roughly and splitting payment equally over the term of work.

Where I need advice is:

1) I know work can start 7 days after approval is given, the builder can then have the inspector come out 4 or 5 times to inspect as he goes. EG - Builder digs the foundations ready for concrete, inspector comes out and gives thumbs up. Concrete goes in. Similar things happen at roof stages/structure etc.

2) Other option, is I also get full building engineering plans drawn up. Then submit that to the council, wait another 6 weeks  >:( - For that to be approved, I use that then as my safety net with the builder.

Thoughts on either? One builder we had was very good, showed us loads of photos of work done and will take me to them if we get close do doing the deal. But he favoured option 2. Have another builder coming around next week, who has done work for friends of ours and they were very happy. I'll probably go with him, as early indications show price is same as others but because we know he has done good work and seen his work, is a huge bonus. Also they ploughed on with work during 'beast from east' when snow/ice everywhere, they just carried on as normal which is a good sign to me.

Oh and FYI it will be a single story rear extension, also taking 70% of the garage and will be about 4m by 7m.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
Re: Building Advice
« Reply #1 on: 02 November 2018, 16:36:15 »

You know you do not have to use the Council's Inspector, and in any event, IME after multi building projects, you will be lucky to see him once. :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 November 2018, 16:38:46 »

You know you do not have to use the Council's Inspector, and in any event, IME after multi building projects, you will be lucky to see him once. :y

Yeah I know you can use independents, did you find that better? Also is it worth getting approval for engineering plans signed off as second stage/building code approval?  :-\

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 November 2018, 16:45:34 »

I never used that option. Just building plans or Architects drawings., and have used independents for the last few jobs. Last time I think it was £75 for the indy. :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 November 2018, 17:01:01 »

Thanks  :y :y - Did he come out just once at the end or during stages?

Be interested to know what Fuse 19 did during his work, either council or Indy.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 November 2018, 17:05:36 »

Pick a builder that is recommended by people you know, who have had similar work done, check rather than looking at photos of done work.
full drawings are great IF it ends up being built to the letter and no corners are cut,cheaper materials substituted etc etc and you don't make changes as you go along. with full detailed drawings ,the inspector will assume the above and not inspect much.
any good builder ,doing the job correctly ,won't have a problem with work being  inspected or answering any questions about the work.and will take the time to do so on a regular basis, but will need to know finishes,kitchens, taps,fittings etc etc in good time.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 November 2018, 17:06:33 »

So we have chosen our architect for extending tunnie's towers, plans are now submitted to the council, we await their decision. It could just maybe have been done in permitted development, but advice from many was to go full planning so have all paperwork. Also helps when selling it's all in and approved and for the small sum, a no-brainer really.

Had a few builders around, all coming in at same price roughly and splitting payment equally over the term of work.

Where I need advice is:

1) I know work can start 7 days after approval is given, the builder can then have the inspector come out 4 or 5 times to inspect as he goes. EG - Builder digs the foundations ready for concrete, inspector comes out and gives thumbs up. Concrete goes in. Similar things happen at roof stages/structure etc.

2) Other option, is I also get full building engineering plans drawn up. Then submit that to the council, wait another 6 weeks  >:( - For that to be approved, I use that then as my safety net with the builder.

Thoughts on either? One builder we had was very good, showed us loads of photos of work done and will take me to them if we get close do doing the deal. But he favoured option 2. Have another builder coming around next week, who has done work for friends of ours and they were very happy. I'll probably go with him, as early indications show price is same as others but because we know he has done good work and seen his work, is a huge bonus. Also they ploughed on with work during 'beast from east' when snow/ice everywhere, they just carried on as normal which is a good sign to me.

Oh and FYI it will be a single story rear extension, also taking 70% of the garage and will be about 4m by 7m.

Would it help to grease their palm?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 November 2018, 17:09:02 »

Pick a builder that is recommended by people you know, who have had similar work done, check rather than looking at photos of done work.
full drawings are great IF it ends up being built to the letter and no corners are cut,cheaper materials substituted etc etc and you don't make changes as you go along. with full detailed drawings ,the inspector will assume the above and not inspect much.
any good builder ,doing the job correctly ,won't have a problem with work being  inspected or answering any questions about the work.and will take the time to do so on a regular basis, but will need to know finishes,kitchens, taps,fittings etc etc in good time.

This is the chap coming for second time next week, his "back of fag packet estimate" was same ones coming in now based on plans.

He is coming back to give me a final price, based on the drawings. Plan to go with him, I think, he can start late Jan.  :)

Where I need advice is:

Don't know who to find to do such a thing, besides sorting mortgage paperwork and don't want to do work over Christmas, January would be a good start time.  :)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 November 2018, 17:17:49 »

So we have chosen our architect for extending tunnie's towers, plans are now submitted to the council, we await their decision.

:o   :-X

I once did a flat kitchen roof repair for a member of a planning committee
lovely old dear  :)
did her garage roof a few years later
obviously , being an OAP , I did not charge her a fortune   :-X

scimmy_man

• Omega Knight
  • yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 November 2018, 17:41:35 »

Im a BCO, beware of a builder who wants to use a private inspector, they dont visit the site often, leaving the builder to "get on with it"   ;)
the local council guy should have lots of local knowledge of the ground conditions etc,

I would go for a building notice, rather than a full plans, as long as the builder is happy to work with you, rather than always cut corners and costs, not that they will pass savings on anyway.

any questions feel free to ask, or I can give you my number for a chat.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 November 2018, 18:47:56 »

Im a BCO, beware of a builder who wants to use a private inspector, they dont visit the site often, leaving the builder to "get on with it"   ;)
the local council guy should have lots of local knowledge of the ground conditions etc,

I would go for a building notice, rather than a full plans, as long as the builder is happy to work with you, rather than always cut corners and costs, not that they will pass savings on anyway.

This is true, and why I always oversee any work being done. :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 November 2018, 18:48:36 »

So we have chosen our architect for extending tunnie's towers, plans are now submitted to the council, we await their decision.

:o   :-X

I once did a flat kitchen roof repair for a member of a planning committee
lovely old dear  :)
did her garage roof a few years later
obviously , being an OAP , I did not charge her a fortune   :-X

::) ::) ::) :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 November 2018, 20:38:37 »

Thanks!

So building notice, that’s what you can apply for 7 days after permission is granted right?

One builder we like did say he would only use local authority inspector.

scimmy_man

• Omega Knight
  • yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 November 2018, 20:42:22 »

you can put a building notice in anytime, preferably before you start ;D

most people wait until the planning is sorted, then put a notice in the week before you start.

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 November 2018, 12:04:42 »

Our neighbour used an independent inspector for their single storey garage conversion and he turned out to be an absolute nit picking nightmare, he wanted every detail in writing , even down to snow load calculations ! naturally he could very kindly recommend a structural engineer for the snow load calculations at a not inconsiderable sum , he's still waiting for it to be signed off more than a year later  :(     
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 22 queries.