Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 2981108 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #15900 on: 17 March 2018, 10:29:45 »

Got the right royal hump making a brake reservoir bracket up.
Walked away.
Thought about it.
Stewed a bit.
Decided it will not defeat me  ;D

Gotta love kit cars.. Right, this should bolt straight on.. Grr! @rse! Fettle, fettle, fettle... ::)

Still, I was talking to a guy who's building one of these recently : http://www.supermarineaircraft.com/

Think kit car project with the same quirks but all has to be sorted to a much higher standard at massively higher expense!

He's been working on it for 11 years and hopes to fly it sometime in May. 8)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #15901 on: 17 March 2018, 12:59:20 »

Walked away.
Thought about it.
Stewed a bit.

Gotta love kit cars.. Right, this should bolt straight on.. Grr! @rse! Fettle, fettle, fettle... ::)

Still, I was talking to a guy who's building one of these recently : http://www.supet.com/rmarineaircraf

Think kit car project with the same quirks but all has to be sorted to a much higher standard at massively higher expense!

Sweet Jesus I need that lottery win :'(
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #15902 on: 17 March 2018, 13:51:38 »

Dropped 3.2 down for MOT, got a pass  8)

Rear number plate received an advisory, been like that for years but for the reasonable cost asked them to fit a new one.

Shocks are misting, I politely declined £440 for a pair of self levelling shocks fitted.

I’ll pop some Sachs regulars on in the summer instead.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #15903 on: 17 March 2018, 16:40:25 »

Good news tunnie. A tenner for a new numberplate every 16yrs can't really be grumbled at :)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #15904 on: 17 March 2018, 16:42:03 »

Today, I have been driving the Bus of many Battles through snow, puddles and sunshine.  Its filthy.

And today I have remembered I still haven't fixed the piss poor red wiper, bugger  :-[
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #15905 on: 17 March 2018, 17:18:17 »

Good news tunnie. A tenner for a new numberplate every 16yrs can't really be grumbled at :)

Yeah happy with Pass, had a feeling it would fail.

Surprised front brakes got no mention, rusted on inside outer sections.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15906 on: 17 March 2018, 17:26:13 »

Walked away.
Thought about it.
Stewed a bit.

Still, I was talking to a guy who's building one of these recently : http://www.supet.com/rmarineaircraf

Sweet Jesus I need that lottery win :'(

Yep. Me too. His is powered by a gm v6 too. 3.5 litres and about 270 hp @5500 rpm. Iirc.
Given the 80% scale and lack of weapons it apparently doesn't fly much different from the original. Top speed is a bit less but still adequate.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #15907 on: 17 March 2018, 18:07:09 »

Yeah happy with Pass, had a feeling it would fail.

Surprised front brakes got no mention, rusted on inside outer sections.
Get the brakes changed as soon as it warms up as well then :y

I think we have to accept that front discs are items that need to be replaced every 2 to 3 yrs.  There are rumours that painting the diameter edge with calliper paint might prolong this.  I might try this on my next set.
Grumpy old man

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15908 on: 17 March 2018, 21:27:27 »

I fitted a new wing mirror, yesterday. :o
Hoof'land storeman.

Dr_Syn

• Atherton
    • 2001 Omega 2.6CDX Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #15909 on: 17 March 2018, 22:00:10 »

Still waiting for my new Front disc & pads and Condenser and Dryer to arrive.  So this afternoon I took the scuttle off and repaired one of the split vacuum pipes at the back of the engine.

I also removed the two seized screws that had resulted in the previous owner breaking the radiator cover.  I have a good one to fit courtesy of omegod. 

During my tinkering I noticed that the battery clamp was missing and the bolt for it was sheared.  I'll have to see if my neighbour has an easyout I can make use of and I'm now on the hunt for a battery clamp.

When I took the scuttle off I found some sound deadening on the back which was absolutely saturated.  I decided to remove and discard it.

I also found the power sounder had been removed (no big surprise)  The alarm horn had also been disconnected for some reason.

Dr_Syn

• Atherton
    • 2001 Omega 2.6CDX Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #15910 on: 18 March 2018, 21:01:37 »

Too cold to do anything this morning but by this afternoon the snow had melted and I wrapped up to do more tinkering.  I gave the headlamps a good buffing with some wonderwheels glass cleaner and while the result wasn't perfect, they now look clear rather than opaque.

Stripping down the front brakes revealed that the pads and discs had very little wear but were very heavily corroded and there was a couple of ridges in the discs which told me they would never be right even if the car had more regular use. 

The discs and pads in the now in the bin, I found another issue which has me beginning to think that the garage the previous owner had spent so much money on were not very professional.  The offside dust sheild was heavily corroded and when they had replaced the wishbones (only last year looking at the invoices), they managed to trap the bottom of the dust shield against the bottom balljoint, tearing the rubber wide open.  I also found one of the caliper pins was not sliding cleanly and that the rubber boots were split.  Thawing out later on, I had new rubbers for the balljoints and calipers ordered up.

This Omega is doing wonders for my ebay rating!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15911 on: 19 March 2018, 08:41:13 »

When I took the scuttle off I found some sound deadening on the back which was absolutely saturated.  I decided to remove and discard it.

Worth making sure the windscreen sealing strip is secure and sealing the scuttle panel well on reassembly or you'll get water in the plug wells. :y

aaronjb

« Reply #15912 on: 19 March 2018, 09:06:11 »

Yep. Me too. His is powered by a gm v6 too. 3.5 litres and about 270 hp @5500 rpm. Iirc.
Given the 80% scale and lack of weapons it apparently doesn't fly much different from the original. Top speed is a bit less but still adequate.

I didn't read the site too closely so I was wondering where they were finding spare Merlin engines ;D that answers that question..

..but yes, having worked at building something infinitely more simple for some time now, I don't think I'd be tackling an aircraft! Does the CAA (who, I assume, make the regs) "do a VOSA" and change the rules on everyone as frequently as possible, too?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15913 on: 19 March 2018, 12:39:42 »

I didn't read the site too closely so I was wondering where they were finding spare Merlin engines ;D that answers that question..

..but yes, having worked at building something infinitely more simple for some time now, I don't think I'd be tackling an aircraft! Does the CAA (who, I assume, make the regs) "do a VOSA" and change the rules on everyone as frequently as possible, too?

CAA are a PITA too but I think this sort of thing is more self-regulating via the various associations who look after people building kits. CAA don't seem to employ anyone who knows the difference between an aileron and an afterburner. ::)

Standards are, necessarily, high, though. That's not going to be an especially forgiving aircraft even when built absolutely to the book...

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15914 on: 20 March 2018, 19:26:53 »

Was going to wash it and do a few other little jobs, but decided to install a new bath indoors instead. Never done it before, but it went well. Getting ambitious now. Am going to fit a new sink / vanity unit tomorrow.
It could yet end in tears.  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.