Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 49   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega Owners Forum  (Read 153787 times)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: Omega Owners Forum
« Reply #30 on: 18 May 2012, 20:12:45 »

Gen Dis is where the problems are IMHO, all other parts run well.

In Gen Dis there is now no proper laughter, those who think they are funny... aren't. Way too much masked swearing/profanity and insults.

Now "banter" is good .. but there is very little about, a few folks have their own "private" exchanges, which usually ends up with a few more masked swear words, that add nothing to the forum.

Political comment is overwhelming .. but don't anyone dare to give a contradictory viewpoint.. you will be leapt on by the small but vociferous few.

I don't think there's been a "careless", "pointless", "stupid" thread where folks simply talk rubbish for a long, long, while; simply because someone will either go to far, or more likely, take themselves too seriously and complain.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, and someone will accuse me of elitism/snobbery/whatever, but the personality/culture/profile/age of the folks who own Omegas has changed dramatically as the price of them has dropped.

This is mainly why the forum has changed IMHO. There is also the fact that many "members" don't actually own one anymore, and look on the forum simply as a chat room.

There is very little "management" can do about these matters, as the forum is made up of the people who frequent it, and that is changing rapidly.

The old members no longer post, we have very few female posters - hardly surprising given the way women are talked about on the forum - and if I had young kids I would be very wary of them reading some posts, given the content, on what is supposed to be, and used to be, a "family" site.

:(

cleggy

« Reply #31 on: 18 May 2012, 20:27:22 »

I enjoy the forum, tend to look in daily and comment when a thread interests me either socially of machanically. The help as been great but the site can appear  to be one big clique of older members at times who respond to each other on a thread but seem to ignore everyone else, even repeating comments made by a member earlier who is not part of their group.
As for meets I don't do tents, caravans, under a bonnet or looking at other Omega's or indeed wish to spend my time doing so (SWMBO won't let me) ;D
The members I have met personally or communicated with have been excellent chaps, helpful in every way, advice, parts, carrying out work and make this forum a worthwhile place to participate in. :y :y :y
LOVE the moaning, even the liberals, for gods sake we're Brits ;D ;D

The Red Baron

• Omega Lord
  • burton on trent.staffs
  • 3.0mv6 sal/3.0elite lpg/2.2dti estate
    • 2000 chipped mv6 3.0l
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 18 May 2012, 20:27:38 »

i think i will second that Entwood.  ;)

vauxhall & halfords trade cards.v6 cam locking kit.<local only.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 18 May 2012, 20:52:24 »

I think Entwood is partly right. After all, taking it to its logical conclusion, in 20 years will the forum still be as strong as it is now? Don't think so.

But so what?  I still find it a fun and stimulating place to be and look most most days. I had a lot of really great help and have given a little as I best I can in return. Oh and I now don't drive an Omega despite having had one for over ten years. I may still yet get a Spanish DTI.

Some threads in general discussion get heated. Things like the Euro crisis should bother us. You have the option of not joining in.

I can't think of the content Entwood refers to and why should a car forum be a "family site"?  I do personally think that one female member was hounded off the forum in what was a very badly judged act. At the time I too would have been gutted if my post count had been slashed.What was done was done. Just my view.

There isn't much that can be done about the demographics issue ( Omegas owned, spares and so on). That is always going to decline.

I think we just have to accept that ownbership and issues will decline and the forum will change as a result. It would be a shame to lose all the immense data available should the forum close.If that step was taken(and I hope it wouldn't be) then I hope the wealth of knowledge and expertise would still be in the public domain. I have tried to find similar info for Suzuki Vitaras or for Peugeot 2.0HDi engines. Pretty poor showing for a similar age car.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #34 on: 18 May 2012, 20:59:34 »

From my perspective of a relative newcomer, I have observed a trend towards moaning, whinging, complaining. Oh aren't we hard done by, poor ol' us.

Whether that be EU, the Euro, the Govt, prices (of anything - everybody always commenting on the cost of this and that bla bla), the crap on TV, the weather, .... and on and on. The price of petrol is high - accept it. Yes, we can all find something to moan about, but it becomes contagious. From my short time here, it's seems like there are hell of a lot of miserable old (maybe young too) gits owning Omegas.  ;)

Equally, positive threads, comments, friendly banter is also contagious. Have a laugh, share a funny experience (even if it's years ago it happened), lighten up. Tell tales of mishaps, god knows what else, but positive. This, in theory will set a trend and make room for the laughs that I assume you used to have.

I'll be back soon to (re)start the trend  :y

+ 1

I've said this before, but help/support on car related stuff is 100%, with help freely given to people needing it. Long may that continue, I've benefited and have also helped others out in return - what goes around comes around .......

I can handle the clique aspect that does exist by ignoring it. However things are becoming more opionatiated and a level of intolerance is emerging which I'm not comfortable with. I complained about something once and was ignored - so s*d it.

Ending on a positive note, I joined ABS back in 2000 with a MV6 that was then only 3 years old. In comparison, OOF is much more friendly.

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 18 May 2012, 21:04:34 »

I realise i'm hardly what you would call a regular but I stopped visiting so much when I parked the mig for the last time prior to scrapping. I suspect that's the main reason for the drop off, the number of possible members goes down with every car scrapped. And as an aside I will say that for an owners site we seem to have a more than unhealthy interest in reducing the numbers available(although I do realise that it's more profitable to scrap than sell in a lot of cases).
Rather strong adjective to use T. If Omega`s weren`t being dismantled to keep others roadworthy OOF`s days would be numbered, fact.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

feeutfo

« Reply #36 on: 18 May 2012, 21:15:43 »

Does anyone feel apprehension  about the Main meets since the unfortunate situation between Jimbob and loo knee. Ie the LJay debacle?

I suspect this may be behind the the low interest in the Lakes meet. But I do hope i am wrong.

Apologies for mentioning it, and risking dragging all that up again. It's a subject at the core of Oof IMO. One that risks everything. I desperately hope we have moved on but somehow... :-\

If the key point of Oof spirit is the meets as TB suspects, if I understand correctly, then I'd list problem areas in no particular order as;

The debacle ( please tell me I'm wrong)
Entwoods point( I don't like it but it's a valid point)
Politics in excess (and nothing else by some members)
Endless negative threads in Gen chat ( I logged on last week and every single thread was depressing)

Not sure I should post this but here goes ( wince )

hercules

• Omega Knight
  • sunnyudders
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 18 May 2012, 21:16:42 »

ive been on this forum longer than it says cos i closed my account and restartedit again to prove i dont give two streaks of pish about post count  :D i think there was about 1800 on the other account and still dont.and yes i have noticed it seems to be rattling along and isnt what it was when i first joined,life is more stressful these days and unintensionally i think people bring it on here sometimes. the bigger the group equals more input and more to please only you cant please everyone all the time and there will always be sleeves rolled up.i still agree with comments on the weather leaving a cloud over heads which takes some shaking off but bring on the sun hopefully to dry it out and let the fun begin

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #38 on: 18 May 2012, 21:21:44 »

there is nothing wrong wth OOF , just a bit slow nowadays..

I have many things to share.. butI am in grief and I gave myself a punishment for some time.. but I try to follow the forum when I am in normal mood..

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 18 May 2012, 21:30:39 »

As for the meets, how about sorting a decient sized meet over on the east coast  :y
The locations for the 2 "National" meets have come about based on a North-ish and South-ish location, and finding sites that have suitable facilities and will take large groups.

There was a York meet for a couple of years, although it did lack facilities, esp for the ladies.

Plenty of decient sites on the east coast.
Whether its East Yorks / Northumberland or Lincolnshire / Norfolk area  :-\
It would be great for the lads who live on this side of the penines.
Also, for 2 years running, Lazydocker arranged a meet near Kings Lynn, but stopped when it became an Adults Only site.
sir moanalot first started that one, yes it was a shame as we had undercover working areas.a bloomin good meet it was too.
 :)

He did indeed organise it the first year. I did start hunting fore another site but finding somewhere that will take a group is quite hard ;) That said, I may have found a suitable place near me but I don't know what the facilities are like yet. If it's OK we would probably have the whole site to ourselves ;)

Personally, travelling to the Lakes/Newent is part of the fun. They are both great meets and I'm hoping to be at one of them at least this year (even if the nearest one is over 500 miles round trip) ;) :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 18 May 2012, 21:32:44 »

Does anyone feel apprehension  about the Main meets since the unfortunate situation between Jimbob and loo knee. Ie the LJay debacle?

I suspect this may be behind the the low interest in the Lakes meet. But I do hope i am wrong.

Apologies for mentioning it, and risking dragging all that up again. It's a subject at the core of Oof IMO. One that risks everything. I desperately hope we have moved on but somehow... :-\

If the key point of Oof spirit is the meets as TB suspects, if I understand correctly, then I'd list problem areas in no particular order as;

Endless negative threads in Gen chat ( I logged on last week and every single thread was depressing)

Certainly didn`t help Chris irrespective of peoples "take" on the sorry affair.
You`re not very far off the mark on that as well

Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Glasgow
    • Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • My Vauxhall Omega's
« Reply #41 on: 18 May 2012, 21:34:18 »

Well I'm back in the country after my sun shine all inclusive break away ;D ;D

So thats 3 omegas back on the forum :y
Vauxhall & Halfords Trade Club Card Holder - Irmscher 3.0 V6 Elite & Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 18 May 2012, 21:36:19 »

For me, yes Chris.
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 18 May 2012, 21:37:59 »

I'm afraid I think you're pretty close to the mark Chris ;) The whole sorry affair was/has been/is/always(?) will be hanging over the Forum IMO :-\

As for the other points...
Gen Dis is where the problems are IMHO, all other parts run well.

In Gen Dis there is now no proper laughter, those who think they are funny... aren't. Way too much masked swearing/profanity and insults.

Now "banter" is good .. but there is very little about, a few folks have their own "private" exchanges, which usually ends up with a few more masked swear words, that add nothing to the forum.

Political comment is overwhelming .. but don't anyone dare to give a contradictory viewpoint.. you will be leapt on by the small but vociferous few.

I don't think there's been a "careless", "pointless", "stupid" thread where folks simply talk rubbish for a long, long, while; simply because someone will either go to far, or more likely, take themselves too seriously and complain.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, and someone will accuse me of elitism/snobbery/whatever, but the personality/culture/profile/age of the folks who own Omegas has changed dramatically as the price of them has dropped.

This is mainly why the forum has changed IMHO. There is also the fact that many "members" don't actually own one anymore, and look on the forum simply as a chat room.

There is very little "management" can do about these matters, as the forum is made up of the people who frequent it, and that is changing rapidly.

The old members no longer post, we have very few female posters - hardly surprising given the way women are talked about on the forum - and if I had young kids I would be very wary of them reading some posts, given the content, on what is supposed to be, and used to be, a "family" site.

:(

Entwood, you're spot on. There's far too much political talk (IMO) and negatives :-\

TB... Although I do (sort of) agree with you I think that there's also the "normal" post winter low as well :-\ I know I've not been online as much as I used to be
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 18 May 2012, 21:44:34 »

General Discussion Area for me is the internet version of stood at the end of the bar and having a beer with the lads.
Whatever is happening out there in the real world tends to get discused on here.

As for the meets, how about sorting a decient sized meet over on the east coast  :y
Not a good analogy.
With all due respect to the admin team, there`s nobody "at the end of the bar" pressing a "nuke button" if anything said is deemed non-PC. At the end of the day we all know not to post racist/ethnic/insulting etc comments but please FFS it`s predominantly a car forum with divergent sub-sections and as such a certain sub-section, namely Gen Diss will inevitably contain threads that to some may be considered non-PC, but, if said threads do not appear to offend/insult, leave them be. PC is for the bureaucratic pen-pushers not bloody car forums
« Last Edit: 18 May 2012, 21:52:54 by RobG »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 49   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 19 queries.