Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice needed on Hyundai Accent  (Read 1897 times)

stuart30

Advice needed on Hyundai Accent
« on: 28 July 2006, 19:55:53 »

[size=12]Car is an Hyundai Accent 1997/8 On a P plate...Automactic 1.5 GSI.

My wifes car several weeks back started belching out thick white smoke...Long story short AA man said it was either head gasket/oil cooler or something else  ::)

Car was towed home and ive had a mobile mechanic come and take a look...he believes its head gasket as theres water droplets exiting exhaust when warm,he did say have this double checked at a garage with the equipment to do a chemical test...this was done and they have said its not head gasket.?????

So first question is what else could cause a huge amount of white smoke (deffo white and not blue/grey ect) yet still leave the header tank water only slightly lower than normal.

Second question if the general opion is head gasket failure anyone know the expected time to replace head gasket (not water pump cambelt JUST head gasket and nessacry seals)....been quoted 6 hours at £25 an hour thats cash in hand plus i buy the head gasket set been quoted £60 for this.

Thirdly Anyone handy with the spanners who fancies doing it (you name your price) feel free to pm me....its gotta be done so i have to pay someone...Tea/bacon sarnies and cash waiting.[/size]
[/b]

mr des

• limerick, ireland
  • Doh
    • View Profile
Re: Advice needed on Hyundai Accent
« Reply #1 on: 29 July 2006, 03:09:47 »

probably not what you want to hear but if the head comes off it will need skimming or at the very least checked to see if it is still within tolerances (good eyes feeler gauges and a very straight edge) and if not skimmed. are there any bubbles in the header tank with the engine running?
i want to shine in the eye of orion but i drove my sole through the black hole

stuart30

« Reply #2 on: 29 July 2006, 03:48:17 »

probably not what you want to hear but if the head comes off it will need skimming or at the very least checked to see if it is still within tolerances (good eyes feeler gauges and a very straight edge) and if not skimmed. are there any bubbles in the header tank with the engine running?

No visible signs of any bubbles...no mayo in oil filler cap,however oil looks like its very high.?

Any idea on price to have it skimmed...and if its skimmed would you still use standard headgasket or need a slighty thicker gasket.?

Thing is she wants to get it running properly and sell it as she wants a Astra auto... ::)

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #3 on: 29 July 2006, 07:46:55 »

My question is....how much is 8 yo Hyundia worth??
Is it worth fixing it?
You might be better off taking it to one of those places that advertise min part exchange just to get rid off it.
Sorry prob not what you wanted to hear.....but i carnt see it worth more that a few hundred quid.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 July 2006, 08:35:45 »

have you checked the Oil level with the dipstick? The symptons sound like an oil overfill, or maybe an oil leak onto the exhaust.

Whats the condition of the coolant like?

STMO123

« Reply #5 on: 29 July 2006, 08:44:17 »

Private Good on parkers for one thats done 80000 is £630. Are you really sure you want to spend a lot of money on it?

stuart30

« Reply #6 on: 29 July 2006, 18:19:16 »

Tunnie......The oil was changed two days previous when a mate done a minor service,all the usual plugs leads oil & filter,and he also chucked about 1/2 litre of gear box oil in as it appeared low..now ive learnt engine needs to be running to get correct level on dip stick so thats deffo over full  ::)
Coolant looks nice and green (told thats how it should look).

Engine oil level looked ok after the change...?

Taxi driver/STMO 123...If its £200 job or there abouts then yeah its worth it,she only paid £500 for the car and i know the accent makes good money second hand (As most small auto"s oddly enough) so she will see at least £700 possibly a little more back when sold after works been done,so at least she basicly gets her money back for the car and work been/needs doing.

« Last Edit: 29 July 2006, 18:23:17 by stuart30 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.