Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: Mechanic School Blog  (Read 94105 times)

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
Re: Mechanic School Blog
« Reply #30 on: 05 September 2012, 21:05:44 »

CV could well mean Constant Velocity as in CV Joint :y
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 05 September 2012, 21:07:11 »

CV could well mean Constant Velocity as in CV Joint :y

Cheers mate. i did see on the list it had that meaning as well. but i remember my tutor mentioning check valve so knew he wanted me to find out what that was  ;D
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 05 September 2012, 21:10:02 »

CV is Constant Velocity as in a constant velocity joint....as fitted to front wheel drive cars and very similar to the lobro type used on the omega rear drive shafts

Stroke is the distance the piston travels up the bore from BDC to TDC, its is not related to the bore as some pistons dont travel to the bore top (e.g. some low compression engines) and some travel beyond (e.g. some diesel engines)

TDC, BDC and ATDC (plus BTDC) are considered to be with reference to number 1 cylinder unless other wise stated (e.g. set no 2 cylinder to BDC)

SV is the swept volume and describes the volume of the area 'swept' by the cylinder.

All simples really  :y
« Last Edit: 05 September 2012, 21:18:38 by Marks DTM Calib »

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 05 September 2012, 21:21:57 »

CV is Constant Velocity as in a constant velocity joint....as fitted to front wheel drive cars and very similar to the lobro type used on the omega rear drive shafts

Stroke is the distance the piston travels up the bore from BDC to TDC, its is not related to the bore as some pistons dont travel to the bore top (e.g. some low compression engines) and some travel beyond (e.g. some diesel engines)

TDC, BDC and ATDC (plus BTDC) are considered to be with reference to number 1 cylinder unless other wise stated (e.g. set no 2 cylinder to BDC)

SV is the swept volume and describes the volume of the area 'swept' by the cylinder.

All simples really  :y

Beautiful! Thanks mate!  :y :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

omega3000

« Reply #34 on: 05 September 2012, 21:32:51 »

Well done , keep up the good work ...im lost already  ;D :y

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 05 September 2012, 21:36:41 »

Well done , keep up the good work ...im lost already  ;D :y

cheers mate!  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

grain.ben

« Reply #36 on: 06 September 2012, 12:19:19 »

Good luck  :y

jonnycool

• Omega Baron
  • Merthyr Tydfil, S. Wales
  • We shag 'em, you eat 'em
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 06 September 2012, 14:56:09 »

I thought you liked a bit of PIE mate  ;D
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving probably isn't for you

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 10 September 2012, 12:40:48 »

well after a week and a half i finally have some cool stuff to share with the class. We're currently taking a gear box apart. Will try and get some pics and do a proper update tonight but OMG the people who design these must be geniuses. We're struggling just to put it back together ha ha . Update tonight. Car bear x
RIP Paul Lovejoy

omega3000

« Reply #39 on: 10 September 2012, 12:49:21 »

well after a week and a half i finally have some cool stuff to share with the class. We're currently taking a gear box apart. Will try and get some pics and do a proper update tonight but OMG the people who design these must be geniuses. We're struggling just to put it back together ha ha . Update tonight. Car bear x

Took a 4 speed off a capri and replaced it with a 5 speed cortina one once but never taken one to bits ... Hope your enjoying it all  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 10 September 2012, 12:49:54 »

TDC refers to No 1 cylinder ;)

All good info there Webby and it looks like you really do have the bug at the moment :y Best of luck
Any cylinder can be at TDC, but as Lazydocker says, if you see it written without being specific, its normally referring to No1 being TDC
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 10 September 2012, 15:53:54 »

Took a 4 speed off a capri and replaced it with a 5 speed cortina one once but never taken one to bits ... Hope your enjoying it all  :y

Not much to them in reality, the clever bit is knowing how to shim and re-build them to get bearing loading and shaft end float correct

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 10 September 2012, 20:36:11 »

Evening chaps :)

Day 7:

Well we finally get our paws dirty in the workshop.

Our classroom within the workshop:

The workshop itself... there's a lot more to it than this (there's actually 4 workshops but this one's my class's) but I was limited to photos.... something about having to do work  ::)

Here's the transmission below:

And here;s a picture of the 4-speed transmission (from a ford I believe) following me adding some labdels from what i've learned....

Now please forgive me if I've got any of this wrong. But on the left is the input shaft. if my understanding is correct the power comes directly from the engine through this shaft and takes that power and transfers it to the output shaft which is the very large cogg on it's lonesome on the right and will be connected to the drive shaft which in turn goes to the wheels and the relevent diff. Now as this lesson was purely to learn about the tools (which i already know as they use the Hellfrauds 150 piece set) so in my own time I was quizzing the teacher and obviously there's only so much you can take in in one go so again apologies if I've got any of that wrong (maybe you could tell me if I'm right or not as every bit of knowledge helps ;))
In the picture also I've labelled the 4 gears... straightforward.
You'll note there are 2 arrow signs on the shaft where the gears live. These I believe are the gear selectors. SO again if my understanding is correct when gear 1 or 2 is selected the bottom most arrow showing 1 and 2 selector will ''latch on'' to the gear you've selected and rotate the shaft and output power. the upper most arrow does the same for gears 3 and 4. And when you put the clutch in or stick it in neutral the selector sits between the two gears and makes sure the shaft doesn't spin until a gear is selected and it can lock on to that gear.

We also took apart a carburettor but to be honest I didn't have time to quiz the teacher on this and I know everything's fuel injected anyway. Although when I did undo the bolts and prised it open there was the mini-est little gasket Ive ever seen; girls would call it cute!  ::) ??? :y

Anyways I got practival again tomorrow and unless any of you want me to list all the items in a Hellfrauds 150 piece that's today's update done.  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

omega3000

« Reply #43 on: 11 September 2012, 09:30:17 »

Whats that red stand thing your holding onto in picture no2  :-\

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 11 September 2012, 09:32:07 »

Whats that red stand thing your holding onto in picture no2  :-\

Portable/moveable car lift  :y
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 42   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.