Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New Front Springs  (Read 2267 times)

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
New Front Springs
« on: 05 January 2016, 13:53:54 »

Have just ordered an new set of Front Springs and have been suggested Suplex as a good/cost effective brand.

Looking at their website the springs have a different part number from LH to RH and after further investigation is seems the actual spring from left to right is longer but also thicker.

Just curious as to why the difference in length and thickness applies and could anybody confirm which is LH and RH .

My understanding is the "hand side" is standing at the front of the car looking directly at windscreen ..so UK drivers side is LH ..would that then follow that the LH spring is longer and slightly thicker as the car being driven ,should always have a driver sitting on the LH side and naturally that side would have more weight.

SUPLEX 23317 Front Left Coil Spring for VAUXHALL OMEGA
Part Number : 23317
Fitting Position : Front Axle Left Front Axle
Outer Diameter (mm) : 164
Length (mm) : 380
Thickness (mm) : 14.25
--------------------------------------------------
Part Number : 23316
Fitting Position : Front Axle Right Front Axle
Outer Diameter (mm) : 164
Length (mm) : 360
Thickness (mm) : 14
Spring Design : Coil spring with constant wire diameter

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Re: New Front Springs
« Reply #1 on: 05 January 2016, 15:05:51 »

Unless there's someone out there can confirm otherwise Omega springs are not handed. No idea what's occurring there.  :-\
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 January 2016, 15:07:25 »

That was my original understanding but have quadruple checked it and according to supplier,they are and in fact differnt lengths and concequently one is slightly thicker .

05omegav6

« Reply #3 on: 05 January 2016, 15:09:58 »

Unless there's someone out there can confirm otherwise Omega springs are not handed. No idea what's occurring there.  :-\
Left hand drive Omega springs are handed... drivers side being longer. Right hand drive are not handed.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 January 2016, 15:12:43 »

Oooh, I see... so which would Mr Amba be wanting, then? ie: which are Vauxhalls given, the longer 'beefier' or the shorter? Or a third option...?
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 January 2016, 15:25:11 »

Now I am more confussed.

After thinking about this logically all positions must be taken from the driver sitting in the car facing windscreen.

Here in UK we ..the driver ..sit on the RH side so our cars are right hand drive so according to the spring provider the shorter spring at 360mm fits to that side.

On Als advise this then means the spring on the LH side..UK passenger side..is also a spring of 360mm in length.

Now as the supplier/dealer is UK based and has been given registration for my car so has all the above information why would they be giving me a quote for 2 different part # and specs of spring.

Just checked ECP website and that also gives different part numbers for front springs along with Kilen and KYG so on that logic all replacement springs provided for Omegas must be handed ?

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 January 2016, 16:03:47 »

Many years ago, truck manufacture's, use to put heavy springs on the right hand side, (Volvo,scarnia) due to the camber on Scandinavian roads, it kept the trucks flat,  :) Uk roads don't have a pronounced camber, just a slight lean to aid drainage,towards nearside.
Hoof'land storeman.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 January 2016, 16:06:41 »

Unless the springs are really different(more coils, much thicker coils or much longer) you're unlikely to notice any difference in use. The only practical thing I'd be concerned about is if they are wound in different directions to fit the cutouts in the seats.

And UK convention for LH/RH is taken from the driver's seat.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 January 2016, 16:11:08 »

Understand that logic Mr.BG, so is it correct and normal that when you have new springs fitted or purchase as a set the N/S or Left is a slightly different length and thickness to that fitted to the O/S or Right ?

Seems strange why all major spring suppliers seem to quote a different part number for each side which in most cases is also a few pence more expensive ,pressumably beacuse its got slightly more metal.

Found a Dealer selling a Genuine Pair of GM or OEM springs and they were a single part number for the pair so would they each be the same size or again as being sold as a pair and assuming they would be fitted as such ,1 is actually slightly different in length and thickness.

Didnt think thid was quite as complicated  ::)

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 January 2016, 16:13:16 »

Accept that Nick but just wondering why the 20mm difference between L/H and R/H which on a spring length of 360mm is around + 5% ish

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 January 2016, 16:22:32 »

Accept that Nick but just wondering why the 20mm difference between L/H and R/H which on a spring length of 360mm is around + 5% ish

Would you fit an mv6 spring on oneside and a cdx on the other? That's 20mm.
Hoof'land storeman.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 January 2016, 16:31:34 »

So are you saying they should be the same length ??

Back to my first question why they are listed by several major spring manufacturers with different lengths and thicknesses,or am I misssing something here ??

05omegav6

« Reply #12 on: 05 January 2016, 16:48:41 »

Two things...

1. I will measure the fronts when I dismantle the struts... Standard 169k mile Elite v6.

2. Left hand drive Omegas carry more weight on the left... Driver plus all the steering gear, where as right hand drive are better balanced...

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 January 2016, 16:49:50 »

EPC lists them as "sets" for all models ... so I'm guessing both springs .. and no way, from that source, to tell if they are different .. we await MarkDTM to tell us as without a shadow of a doubt he will know .. :)

05omegav6

« Reply #14 on: 11 January 2016, 11:43:30 »

Standard Gm 3.2 front springs, 15 years and 168K miles...

Both 365 mm  :y
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.