Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Damaged drivers door mirror  (Read 2279 times)

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
Damaged drivers door mirror
« on: 03 April 2016, 23:41:49 »

Nearly got sideswiped by an idiot in on old white van travelling towards me on Friday. He managed to take out my drivers door mirror, fortunately no other damage. It was a "hit and run", he didn't stop (probably not insured), and disappeared into a large housing estate to prevent me following and getting his details.

Considering a closing speed of approx 60 mph, suprised how resilient the mirror was. The impact split the mirror open and left the actual glass hanging on its electrical connection. I managed to snap it all back together and all lights and functions still working ok. Most of his mirror was lying shattered in the road.

Luckily the only real damage on mine was to the painted mirror cover (badly scuffed, although I've now managed to polish it out today, not at all noticeable), and a cracked Door Mirror Indicator (Repeater) unit.
I have located a new genuine repeater unit (about £20).  Cost of a new mirror is in excess of £500!!!!

Just need to sus out how to strip one of these mirrors down so I can replace damaged part.

To say I was pissed off was an understatement - still could have been a lot worse.
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
Re: Damaged drivers door mirror
« Reply #1 on: 04 April 2016, 00:08:10 »

That happened to be several weeks ago in my Omega; for some reason an Audi A4 coming towards me just veered over the centre line on a slight bend and our mirrors had a coming together. The mirror glass smashed and like yours was left dangling. I got a scuff and deep scratch, but the cover survived. The annoying thing was, I stopped but the Audi just disappeared round the bend and away.
As you said, it could have been worse, with panel damage.
A second hand original glass sorted it but it pi$$es me off that the other car didn't stop - probably more than the damage to the mirror!
Just re read, and realised you weren't in an Omega with the reference to the repeater......
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #2 on: 04 April 2016, 00:19:15 »

That happened to be several weeks ago in my Omega; for some reason an Audi A4 coming towards me just veered over the centre line on a slight bend and our mirrors had a coming together. The mirror glass smashed and like yours was left dangling. I got a scuff and deep scratch, but the cover survived. The annoying thing was, I stopped but the Audi just disappeared round the bend and away.
As you said, it could have been worse, with panel damage.
A second hand original glass sorted it but it pi$$es me off that the other car didn't stop - probably more than the damage to the mirror!
Just re read, and realised you weren't in an Omega with the reference to the repeater......

And the cost of a new mirror!!!! :o ;)  My glass fortunately didn't shatter, as a replacement glass from Jags is a shade less than £100.
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 April 2016, 00:52:08 »

The way things are going everyone should invest in some dash cams. Near misses or minor collisions or even a full on collision etc.. are becoming far more frequent. Granted they have their plus and negative points.

...£500 for a mirror  :o Can't say I'm surprised that Jaguar sell a mirror for the price of one or maybe 2 or 3+ Omegas  ;D

Anyway, Glad to hear you and the car are pretty much in one piece  :y

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #4 on: 04 April 2016, 01:51:18 »

Yep Jay, take your point re dash cams - think this incident has pushed me into buying one.

And £500 for a door mirror!! as you say can get a couple of decent Omegas for that.

Car Ok (will be perfect again when I fit new repeater unit), I'm ok (had worse when racing  ;D ;D), just annoyed.

Still his mirror well smashed, Jag 1 old white van nil - bet his mirror only cost a fiver though!!
« Last Edit: 04 April 2016, 01:53:11 by dbug »

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 April 2016, 05:04:39 »

I think drivers in general are getting worse and worse not giving a toss about anyone around them. Not indicating or looking, just tunnel vision to where they want to go at any cost  >:(
Hope no one catches me on dash cam swearing at these blighters  ::)
Omegatitis

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 04 April 2016, 05:33:29 »

Getting stressed at other road users is pointless... Only serves to get you wound up, and the target of your rage remains oblivious.

As for the mirror... That's what insurance is for.. Even if the other person stopped, it would only ever be knock for knock which makes stopping a moot point... (beyond checking no one was actually hurt)

Glad it wasn't worse.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 April 2016, 07:35:46 »

Getting stressed at other road users is pointless... Only serves to get you wound up, and the target of your rage remains oblivious.

As for the mirror... That's what insurance is for.. Even if the other person stopped, it would only ever be knock for knock which makes stopping a moot point... (beyond checking no one was actually hurt)

Glad it wasn't worse.

That's  stoopid. First take into account the excess, then the cost increase on next years premium,that is one reason premium's keep going up,people keep claiming for pointless incident's, as op has done cheaper to source one, and do job himself.

The cost via insurance company will be about £750.
Price of mirror(full retail), 1 hour labour, courtesy car, op's excesses.,also knock for knock won't happen because no details from other party.
Hoof'land storeman.

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 April 2016, 07:40:39 »

I have reently had a similar experiance to you jonneydog. Piccaso co ing the other way crossed the white line by thre feet to my side and wiped out both mirrors. Did she stop? Not a chance, still to busy on the phone

Keith, ABS

05omegav6

« Reply #9 on: 04 April 2016, 16:53:02 »

Glad it wasn't worse.

That's  stoopid. First take into account the excess, then the cost increase on next years premium,that is one reason premium's keep going up,people keep claiming for pointless incident's, as op has done cheaper to source one, and do job himself.

The cost via insurance company will be about £750.
Price of mirror(full retail), 1 hour labour, courtesy car, op's excesses.,also knock for knock won't happen because no details from other party.
Had both parties stopped and exchanged, then it would be knock for knock...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 April 2016, 17:51:20 »

Silly bint in a new beemer tried taking us out around the roundabouts near Rushden yesterday. No lane discipline, too busy playing with the screen in the centre console, and oblivious to surroundings.

As I'm fully prepared to sacrifice any car to just dimwits, I carried on in my lane, a Rizzla paper away from her - she didn't half swerve when she noticed.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 18 queries.