Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Headlight Aim  (Read 1111 times)

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
Headlight Aim
« on: 01 July 2016, 20:26:30 »

Decided to investigate the poor headlight aim on my Elite yesterday as despite replacing both busted adjusters with ali retro fits last year I  have never been too impresssd with performance of lights .Bulbs are all good/health so decided to strip them both down again and investigate .

Found that O/S metal headlight adjuster had gone to the extent of its travel and had albut fallen off the thread which got me thinking was I adjusting the right screw for the right position.

It had been my understanding for as long as I can remember that the inner screw.(nearest the center of the car ) was for the up,n,down adjustment and the outer screw ( being nearest the wing) was for the left,n,right adjustment.

Had a read of the Haynes manual and I think I have been doing things wrong  :o
That states..... Inner screw is for Horizontal ..which I am assuming is up,n,down
                      Outer ................Vertical .....which I am assuming is left,n,right.

Can some knowledgable person kindly put me out of my misery.Which does which ..as despite spending an hour last night with car against a darkish wall I failed to see much difference .albeit I was only making adjustments to the Inner screw.

Help please  :-\

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
Re: Headlight Aim
« Reply #1 on: 01 July 2016, 20:31:54 »

Vertical is up n down
Horizontal is left n right
Hoof'land storeman.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 July 2016, 20:32:00 »

Decided to investigate the poor headlight aim on my Elite yesterday as despite replacing both busted adjusters with ali retro fits last year I  have never been too impresssd with performance of lights .Bulbs are all good/health so decided to strip them both down again and investigate .

Found that O/S metal headlight adjuster had gone to the extent of its travel and had albut fallen off the thread which got me thinking was I adjusting the right screw for the right position.

It had been my understanding for as long as I can remember that the inner screw.(nearest the center of the car ) was for the up,n,down adjustment and the outer screw ( being nearest the wing) was for the left,n,right adjustment.

Had a read of the Haynes manual and I think I have been doing things wrong  :o
That states..... Inner screw is for Horizontal ..which I am assuming is up,n,down
                      Outer ................Vertical .....which I am assuming is left,n,right.

Can some knowledgable person kindly put me out of my misery.Which does which ..as despite spending an hour last night with car against a darkish wall I failed to see much difference .albeit I was only making adjustments to the Inner screw.

Help please  :-\

I think you've reversed the meaning of horizontal and vertical there Andrew!
And the adjusters are so low geared that I find a small battery powered screwdriver is the only way to make a worthwhile adjustment.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 July 2016, 20:38:14 »

Thanks guys. :y

Thinking I have been having a "Blonde Moment"  and its not the Lager  ;)

Will try again tomorrow evening as have found a nice dark wall with a flat surface close by....So outer screw moves the up.n,down and inners crew.( which I have been adjusting as up,n,down  :( ) is the left,n,right adjuser.

Take your point about electric driver Nick however after finding adjuster had fallen off thread I intend going fairly gentle this time  :)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 July 2016, 20:57:43 »

Take your point about electric driver Nick however after finding adjuster had fallen off thread I intend going fairly gentle this time  :)

At least on that one you'll be able to set the adjusters about in the middle of their travel whilst you have it apart.

Has the adjuster come off the thread, or has the plastic socket it fits into broken?

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 July 2016, 21:30:22 »

When I took O/S light apart the white ball joint was still intact on the metal adjuster its just that I had obviously turn the thread so much that the entire thing had fallen off the thread as it had been fully undone.

I replaced both at around mid-point on the thread so was confident that unless I had gone crazy winding it in this time it would remain on the thread.

It would now seem that in my ignorance and always thinking it was the threaded section that the black plastic had broken from was that which altered the up,n,down movement.

I know understand that the adjuster which breaks is the 1 that controls the left,n,right adjustment,but when broken the lens cannot be set correctly as its not held secure.

Will have another go tomorrow evening now armed with the correct information and hope I can get a decent light pattern from them both as lenses are spotless/bulbs are all good  :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 18 queries.