Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Parasitic drain  (Read 4878 times)

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Parasitic drain
« Reply #15 on: 25 August 2016, 17:39:46 »

Don't know if this helps....although the red wire looks to be on the left, its because its twisted behind the meter. Red is connected to the battery live, and the black is connected to the battery earth lead, (which is disconnected from the battery) :y
While I was posting this, the reading has increased to 0.10

« Last Edit: 25 August 2016, 17:41:38 by terbert »
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 August 2016, 18:28:37 »

Terbert, if I read you correctly you are not measuring anything of significance! Your meter is somewhat unusual in that it doesn't appear to have a separate current-measuring terminal; presumably you select that option from the rotary switch? In your photo, you appear to have selected the 200milliVOLT position, which you do not want. Select the DCA (amps) position, initially the highest one and connect the leads in the way I outlined in my previos reply to you. IN NO CIRCUMSTANCES attempt to connect your meter across the battery when it is in current-measuring mode or you will cremate it! It has to be is series with the battery lead, preferably the negative battery lead, as I said earlier.

Ron.

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25 August 2016, 19:37:58 »

Thanks for the input Ron (and others).
I am giving up now as I don't think my meter is up to it. Going to get a proper meter and try again.
There has to be a drain, as switching batteries does not cure the problem. Donor car always starts after leaving, but 2.5 gives me the one finger salute every time its left for a few days. Starts perfectly if in constant use.>:(

Does this one look any good......

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Multimeter-Aidbucks-Resistance-Voltmeter-Backlight/dp/B01DUH9VT0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472038395&sr=8-1&keywords=ammeter

« Last Edit: 25 August 2016, 19:41:44 by terbert »

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25 August 2016, 22:02:52 »

I am reluctant to comment on or recommend anything that I don't have personal experience of, but the price isn't too bad if the quality is good. There are cheaper ones (from China!) on eBay and you can pay lots more, too.
I would commend this site to you, though:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBbgiBU96mM

My Service Provider is playing up and I haven't watched much of it, but the menu on the right-hand side lists fllow-up tutorials too, so I hope you are not offended by my suggesting that you watch them?

Ron.

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25 August 2016, 23:14:33 »

Thanks Ron....not offended in the least. I am always open to suggestions and willing to learn :y

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 26 August 2016, 00:05:09 »

I have a what they call a clamp meter, literally open the jaw type and it will measure the amps flowing thru a wire (usually a main battery wire) without any disconnection required.

If you have a multimeter with an amps setting, this can be used but you have to connect the meter in series ( remove the battery clamp and place the meter wires between the terminal and the clamp)

A word of caution thou as most multi meters have an internal fuse of 10 A which is a nuisance to change if you inadvertantly exceed that current.

As mentioned by others, the vehicle should "sleep" after a certain period and the current draw drop to a respectable .00something level. If it doesent, find the circuit at fault by pulling fuses one at a time till you find the current drawing circuit.

Late night ramble so forgive me if not all clear.

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26 August 2016, 09:42:59 »

Yes Tidla...understand that...as I have communicated with BigRon....my problem is sorting volts from amps, ohms, etc
The vids I am watching, via Ron, are brilliant (imo) :y

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 26 August 2016, 10:56:28 »

Terbert, if I read you correctly you are not measuring anything of significance! Your meter is somewhat unusual in that it doesn't appear to have a separate current-measuring terminal; presumably you select that option from the rotary switch? In your photo, you appear to have selected the 200milliVOLT position, which you do not want. Select the DCA (amps) position, initially the highest one and connect the leads in the way I outlined in my previos reply to you. IN NO CIRCUMSTANCES attempt to connect your meter across the battery when it is in current-measuring mode or you will cremate it! It has to be is series with the battery lead, preferably the negative battery lead, as I said earlier.

Ron.

Agreed.  :y  Your digital multimeter looks like a Draper DMM7, which should be capable of reading what you want in the method that Ron has posted, with it set to DCA mode. You are effectively using your meter to bridge the gap between your removed negative terminal clamp and the post that it came off.  :y  As Ron has said, set it to a higher DCA position first and work your way down the settings until you get a reading. The meter you've already got should be fine for this check.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 26 August 2016, 11:03:35 »

So....what are 20m and 200m and 2000y (or similar symbol) Are they milli amps. I assume they are smaller than amps. That's all I have under DCA. :)

I may pm further replies, as I am getting the feeling I am looking a prize numpty :-[
« Last Edit: 26 August 2016, 11:09:08 by terbert »

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 26 August 2016, 11:21:42 »

So....what are 20m and 200m and 2000y (or similar symbol) Are they milli amps. I assume they are smaller than amps. That's all I have under DCA. :)

I may pm further replies, as I am getting the feeling I am looking a prize numpty :-[

If you set it to the higher setting first you will hopefully see zero on the readout, because the drain will be nowhere near in that region. If you then cog it down to 200 you are fine tuning the reading to capture readings that are not quite so high and if it's still not accurate you can then cog it down to 20 to pick up the low readings.  :y  Always go in high first and fine tune by selecting the lower settings one by one until you get the best reading. The point is, your multimeter is capable of doing this.  :y

Just seen your edit.  ;D  No shame in asking questions, it's how we all learn new stuff.  :y
« Last Edit: 26 August 2016, 11:28:17 by YZ250 »
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 26 August 2016, 16:20:58 »

Don't be shy... We all learn somewhere :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #26 on: 02 September 2016, 11:55:57 »

Just to add, that helpful forums like this one are here to explain things, and thrive on questions being asked

No matter how silly you feel your question is, the guys here will always try their best to answer it.

If I may my 2 cents also . .

Don`t bother trying to measure battery drain with a conventional multimeter - yes, it can be done, but its such an arseache to connect things properly without blowing the internal fuse that you will give up long before you have solved it. Get yourself a cheap Clampmeter, its much easier to use. There are some china cheapies around the £20 mark, but I would suggest to spend a bit extra - £30 and get one of these, as its sensitive enough to do what you are trying to do

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-Mini-AC-DC-Clamp-Meter-600V-2A-80A-633-/262581737050?hash=item3d2317565a:g:aWkAAOSwdzVXtDz1

Good luck with it, and let us know your findings
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 18 queries.