Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: XEV/ 2.2 cam cover mods  (Read 1335 times)

frostbite

• Roanapur City aka Skem
    • 00' e46 325i se
    • View Profile
XEV/ 2.2 cam cover mods
« on: 12 July 2017, 22:52:05 »

Is there any way to mod the cam cover like the 20xe to stop it breathing in the sump contents and filling the inlet mani with oil?

Or is it a case of putting a discreet catch tank?

Can holes be drilled in the chamber where the sump breather is supposed to return the oil vapours?

e46 325i se - 1.8vvti avensis liftback

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
Re: XEV/ 2.2 cam cover mods
« Reply #1 on: 13 July 2017, 11:35:15 »

should not be doing that anyway, what breather is blocking the small pipe or the is it coming in from the large breather ?

frostbite

• Roanapur City aka Skem
    • 00' e46 325i se
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 July 2017, 14:39:22 »

The big metal one from the sump, that connects to flame trap then the cam cover.

The small one isnt a problem as I clean it out when I do the icv and tb.

It is the sump pipe that is causing the oil mist to spray everywhere if its not able to drain back to the sump

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 July 2017, 23:20:40 »

were is the mist coming from, does yours have a fire box fitted to the breather ? I dont have any oil mist on mine, is there any splits in the pipe ?  were is the oil mist covering ?

frostbite

• Roanapur City aka Skem
    • 00' e46 325i se
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 July 2017, 15:18:59 »

I have a flametrap.

The large breather that goes to the TB is where the mist is coming from.
If I look into the inlet manifold there is oil pooling at the base.

When I flip over the spare valve cover the chamber links all 3 breathers

The 20xe mod involves either keeping the chamber as is but with holes drilled close to the sump pipe

Or

Cutting the chamber right down to the sump pipe

Or

Cutting a gap in the chamber  and fitting a plate that diverts any oil that travels up the sump pipe to the drain in the head and not into the trottle body

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 July 2017, 21:44:02 »

ohh lol you mean the vapour chamber, inlet bottom. it does pool in there is normal its roughly around an inch of oil water etc anything that is heavy sits in the bottom and over time is turned to vapour. it does not affect anything. if its over filling. could mean you or someone has overfilled engine oil, as it would blow straight into the intake vapor chamber, some people have drilled and put a drain in the bottom, but you would need to tread so a bolt can be fitted but would not drill holes and not plug them up as it will affect engine performance. would receive more air than its reading from the MAF sensor and that can affect the running of the engine. 

frostbite

• Roanapur City aka Skem
    • 00' e46 325i se
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 July 2017, 08:58:26 »

Is there a way to cut it open to clean it then seal it back up?

I plan on rebuilding my spare head, so will have new guides and seals with washers

and if this doesnt work out, I'll look for a 2.2 head

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 July 2017, 11:34:52 »

i dont know about cutting it open and fitting it back, the only thing i can think of is replace the fire trap. you can still buy them, that would stop the oil build up, another thing you could do is remove and clean out the breather pipe from the pump you will need a new seal when refitting. the only thing i can think of it spraying oil is the veins in the oil system may be a build up on them making the pressure build up on the crank, as there is a bit of air pressure build up from the pistons, it would add more pressure if the veins were blocked, and flushing out the cam cover system, vapor chamber you would need to take this off and tip it out to get the oil etc out.  you cannot really go around cutting and drilling holes as this would damage the system all it takes is a part to fail not in the normal way and cause more problems, even a peace of plastic coming off and being sucked into the engine can do alot of damage. I just did a system clean with some seafoam cleaner i had been watching videos on it and looked impressive, so tried it myself and its worked really well, it cleaned the pistons and chamber nearly back to new, you can put some in the oil and run for 100 miles then do an oil change and i did that, checked results with an endoscope, engine has more power than it did before and alot quieter than it was. and last thing you do with it is put some in the fuel you have to work out the right amounts to use for the oil and the fuel but for the breather line feed with it you can use as much as you think you need, there is other stuff but I thought i would use that. on video it say to use the brake air feed but that cannot be done on this engine as it plactic crimped, so used the large breather from the cam cover and then the small one next to it and left it to soak for around 20 min says 10 but i was having a drink, and a chat on the phone, oil change went well after, no build up in pipes and it had converted all the build up so it would be removed. done around 300 miles now after and no problems and runs great.
« Last Edit: 15 July 2017, 11:50:16 by Chazza12 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 19 queries.