Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: v6 exhaust  (Read 2782 times)

COONY

• MANCHESTER
    • OMEGA 2.6 CDx PETROL
    • View Profile
v6 exhaust
« on: 14 July 2017, 15:01:52 »

there is an exhaust on ebay (without front down pipes)for the 3.0 omega apparently this may fit the 2.6 cdx. can anybody advise? many thanks in advance. 

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: v6 exhaust
« Reply #1 on: 14 July 2017, 15:30:40 »

V6 exhausts, post cat's are identical.

Only difference is between saloon/estate, which have slightly different centre sections.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 July 2017, 15:41:06 »

Only thing I guess is 3.2/2.6 have tad longer pipes at back, due to F/L bumpers. An exhaust trim fixes that, if you feel it's needed.

I never bothered  :)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 July 2017, 16:12:44 »

V6 exhausts, post cat's are identical.

Only difference is between saloon/estate, which have slightly different centre sections.
Wrong.

Saloon and estate exhausts are completely different post cat.
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 July 2017, 19:26:28 »

Eternal or ETS are recommended for Omegas, usually around £80 delivered for all 3 pieces, including a (rather crap) fitting kit.
Grumpy old man

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • 2.5 V6 CDX Manual (MFL)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 July 2017, 00:10:40 »

Eternal or ETS are recommended for Omegas, usually around £80 delivered for all 3 pieces, including a (rather crap) fitting kit.

Is there any recommended fitting kit to get separately in addition to a Eternal /ETS system ?

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 July 2017, 00:18:59 »

Is there any recommended fitting kit to get separately in addition to a Eternal /ETS system ?

Fitting Kit is far too technical a description of a few rubber hangers and four bolts. When I fitted my exhaust system 3 years ago, I used all the bits that came with it. They're still on the car. Don't make a simple thing  like hanging a couple of pipes under a car more complicated than it needs to be.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 July 2017, 09:22:03 »

Fitting Kit is far too technical a description of a few rubber hangers and four bolts. When I fitted my exhaust system 3 years ago, I used all the bits that came with it. They're still on the car. Don't make a simple thing  like hanging a couple of pipes under a car more complicated than it needs to be.

Just keep the old ones as spares if you do use it (I did too Nick) as it's not unheard of for them
To be either too soft, allowing the exhaust to move about enough to knock, or even break. I think it's just the luck of the draw as to how good they are
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 July 2017, 10:36:15 »

I bought one of these about 9 months ago. Came with new hangers and bolts for the unions to the cats. The tail-pipe is tubular and silver as opposed to oval and black on the Vauxhall original (which lasted over 10 years).  Otherwise it seems to fit and works fine with thicker metal than perhaps it might have been. Delivered from Germany in a couple of days. Did the best offer and got it for around £80 delivered. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251165535785?ul_noapp=true

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • 2.5 V6 CDX Manual (MFL)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 July 2017, 10:36:58 »

;D  I'll perhaps wait till I need a new exhaust 1st  ;), remembering to order the "Mounting" rather than "Fitting" kit  :D

« Last Edit: 15 July 2017, 10:42:14 by DrAndyB »

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 July 2017, 10:40:26 »

Just keep the old ones as spares if you do use it (I did too Nick) as it's not unheard of for them
To be either too soft, allowing the exhaust to move about enough to knock, or even break. I think it's just the luck of the draw as to how good they are

I hate doing exhausts, so removed the old one by undoing the flange bolts and cutting the rubbers off the body hangers. I ALWAYS budget for new consumables to save time and effort. And having to do the job again.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 July 2017, 14:10:20 »

I tend to reuse the old hangers if they look OK.

I do find the clamps for the mid to tail section supplied by both ETS and Eternal to be of variable quality, so I do tend to nip to Halfords and grab a couple, for the sake of 2 or 3 quid.

Yes, I did use the phrase Fitting Kit in the loosest sense ;D.  My point being, its a bit shit ;D.

The other thing worth getting is some exhaust paste, as this is often needed for cat to mid section (I always use here as a matter of course, rather than try dry first), and I personally always pop some on the mid to tail section before sliding together.
Grumpy old man

neil74

• Intermediate Member
  • newport
    • 2.6 elite estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 July 2017, 14:20:23 »

Having just done my estate exhaust its not a job I want to do again soon. and when I had problems removing the cat pipes I decided to call a local garage to see what they would charge for it and unsurprisingly the experts fobbed this amateur off with silly excuses as to why they don't want to do it so I don't think i'll bother them with anything more complicated than a bulb change ever again.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 July 2017, 09:52:19 »

I tend to reuse the old hangers if they look OK.

I do find the clamps for the mid to tail section supplied by both ETS and Eternal to be of variable quality, so I do tend to nip to Halfords and grab a couple, for the sake of 2 or 3 quid.

Yes, I did use the phrase Fitting Kit in the loosest sense ;D.  My point being, its a bit shit ;D.

The other thing worth getting is some exhaust paste, as this is often needed for cat to mid section (I always use here as a matter of course, rather than try dry first), and I personally always pop some on the mid to tail section before sliding together.
Sounds like you use Holts Firegum between cat and central section. I use Loctite SI 5990 copper silicone, a high temperature plastic gasket compound, which works well but requires 18 hours curing time which can prove inconvenient. I use Firegum between central section and silencer.
What do you use between cat and central sections?

neil74

• Intermediate Member
  • newport
    • 2.6 elite estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 July 2017, 11:00:12 »

I used the holts stuff between the cats and centre pipes. but it is so soft and runny it took several attempts to get it where I wanted it..
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.