Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Oil filter housing cant be tightened or removed.  (Read 6250 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Oil filter housing cant be tightened or removed.
« Reply #15 on: 24 July 2017, 09:53:27 »

I can never understand why, when only a hand full of people have a problem undoing a paper element filter, that the same hand full of people all cry out the spin on filter is far superior. I managed 20 or so oil & filter changes on my Omega over the years I had it without a problem, like wise the paper filter on my Smart (though it's cap is plastic) & again there are those that want to promote the spin on filter. If paper element filter are/were that bad, why do manufactures still fit them?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 July 2017, 11:07:43 »

The secret is in the application...

On the Omega, the cartridge cap can be a dog to remove as decent leverage access is very limited. I never had a real gripe with the cartridge, but did find the spin on canister much easier to deal with.

For those more miserly amongst us, the spin on filters are also half the price :D...
Onanists always think outside the box.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 July 2017, 11:27:41 »

Quote from: Doctor Gollum link=topic=140285.msg1816780#msg1816780
On the Omega, the cartridge cap can be a dog to remove as decent leverage access is very limited.
[/quote

I use a 24mm flexible head ratchet ring spanner, and I find this works very well allowing the length of the spanner to be positioned conveniently for maximum movement, which isn't quite as easy with a ratchet and socket or a straight open ended spanner.
« Last Edit: 24 July 2017, 11:30:24 by johnnydog »
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24 July 2017, 17:56:26 »

Spin on can be changed from above if fitted correctly ::)
If the engine is cold.  I like a warm engine to thin the oil ;)
Think this through...

Warm oil drains better... so get the engine nice and hot, then drain it... don't actually need to jack the car for this, but it does save getting stuck :-[ Whilst that's draining, change the air and pollen filters and plugs. Then have lunch. Then undo the oil filter. From above. Oil mess should be minimal as the hot oil should have mostly drained down in the time passed.

Scribble sweet nothings in the service book and call it done ;)
If I'm changing the oil, I'm changing the bloody oil. Not anything else.

The jack has to come out to get my oil pan under, and no way could I undo sump plug with the oil drain pan there.  If maintained correctly, the metal cap comes off easy.  If not maintained, the spin-on CANNOT be done from above, even when cold.  And in either case, you need to jack it up to remove the bloody mess it creates.

So absolutely zero pros for spin on, just a nasty, messy negative.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24 July 2017, 18:01:01 »

The secret is in the application...

On the Omega, the cartridge cap can be a dog to remove as decent leverage access is very limited. I never had a real gripe with the cartridge, but did find the spin on canister much easier to deal with.

For those more miserly amongst us, the spin on filters are also half the price :D...
It should not be tight. Its only if fitted by a mong, or left on for 20,000 miles, that it becomes tight.  Under these circimstances, you end up fighting spin-ons as well.

Both filter types are around £2.50 if I can be arsed to traipse to a factor, or £3.50 for GM delivered by their vans.
Grumpy old man

neil74

• Intermediate Member
  • newport
    • 2.6 elite estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 25 July 2017, 15:02:29 »

Well i've tried a metal oil filter strap type thing and bent it. I've also tried a large pipe wrench thing with the breaker bar and all i'm doing is mangling the housing up so that's it from me I'm afraid i'm done with messing with the thing.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 25 July 2017, 16:52:50 »

If it isn't moving with strap holding it ,best option left is the smash the top off as its only cast alloy.

That will allow you to remove the filter and be able to see the housing securing nut.Once that is removed the old housing body can be removed and you are left with 2 options then.

1)... for about £15 you buy a spigot conversion and some Loctite to secure it then you can fit the metal spin on filter.

2)...for a whole lot more you buy a new canister and cap probably from VX and the resort back to OEM for the car and use paper type filters .

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 25 July 2017, 20:32:57 »

If it isn't moving with strap holding it ,best option left is the smash the top off as its only cast alloy.

That will allow you to remove the filter and be able to see the housing securing nut.Once that is removed the old housing body can be removed and you are left with 2 options then.

1)... for about £15 you buy a spigot conversion and some Loctite to secure it then you can fit the metal spin on filter.

2)...for a whole lot more you buy a new canister and cap probably from VX and the resort back to OEM for the car and use paper type filters .

you can probably get a used canister cheap or free from someone here who has converted to spin on.  i kept mine for a while in case anyone wanted it but no one did and it got chucked. in my migs i have had spin on, canister, canister again and now converted to spin on. if i ever get another i will convert to spin on, much better in my experience.

'nipple' i believe is the general term for the conversion spigot, £15 is a bit of a vx rip off i'm sure you could get a generic one with the right thread or make one up for £5.  put two nuts on it when fitting and tighten the outer one, then when the loctite is set tighten the inner one then undo both, easy. 

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 25 July 2017, 20:51:51 »

you can probably get a used canister cheap or free from someone here who has converted to spin on.  I kept mine for a while in case anyone wanted it but no one did and it got chucked. in my migs i have had spin on, canister, canister again and now converted to spin on. if i ever get another i will convert to spin on, much better in my experience.

'nipple' i believe is the general term for the conversion spigot, £15 is a bit of a Vx rip off i'm sure you could get a generic one with the right thread or make one up for £5.  put two nuts on it when fitting and tighten the outer one, then when the loctite is set tighten the inner one then undo both, easy.

I couldn't give the canister away; you've either never broken one and don't need it, or prefer spin on filters. I converted to spin on because after struggling for the second time to undo the cap(and I had tightened it with a torque wrench a year and about 8k miles earlier) I wasn't going to put up with it again. I find they're less messy, but that's a benefit not the sole reason for using them

The adapter is easily made as it's a tube about 40mm long and threaded M18x1.5 I could make them, but even at £15(I paid about a tenner for mine) simply isn't worth the hassle.

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 25 July 2017, 21:20:17 »

m18 nipple £4.17 delivered here www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281042112447 though the vx one doesn't have the hex. the hex will assist installation but not sure if if would get in the way, can't recall the thread gap on the vx one. 

i changed to spin on when national tyres messed up the first oil change  - the canister leaked. even they couldn't mess up a spin on but now i do it myself as it is so simple.  you can even remove a spin on with no oil dripping, did it once but not sure how :(

nipple is no. 7, part number  90412159

« Last Edit: 25 July 2017, 21:32:02 by migmog »

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 25 July 2017, 21:28:50 »

I changed to spin on when national tyres messed up the first oil change  - the canister leaked. even they couldn't mess up a spin on but now i do it myself as it is so simple.  you can even remove a spin on with no oil dripping, did it once but not sure how :( .

The same way it's always been done: change it when the engine hasn't been run for several hours. Then you loosen and spin the filter off in one go, tilting it upright as it comes off. Easy from above on a Capri engine with good access and practice, much less likely on an Omega V6 ::)

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 25 July 2017, 21:34:05 »

I changed to spin on when national tyres messed up the first oil change  - the canister leaked. even they couldn't mess up a spin on but now i do it myself as it is so simple.  you can even remove a spin on with no oil dripping, did it once but not sure how :( .

The same way it's always been done: change it when the engine hasn't been run for several hours. Then you loosen and spin the filter off in one go, tilting it upright as it comes off. Easy from above on a Capri engine with good access and practice, much less likely on an Omega V6 ::)
no i think it was to do with jacking up the n/s.  i'd never changed the oil when cold though i suppose i could do the oil hot and wait.

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 26 July 2017, 00:00:24 »

Spin on rules  ;D ;D ;D

If the locating lug snaps on the canister type which will if its been done up too tight then get the swear box out  :D After throwing away canister once smashed to pieces replace with spin on and be happy  ;D
Im sure vx wanted over £100 for a replacement canister and cap a few yrs ago but had none in stock , not that i was going to shell out for it ::)
Omegatitis

neil74

• Intermediate Member
  • newport
    • 2.6 elite estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 27 July 2017, 14:11:54 »

Well I've looked around and I cant find either the tube to convert it to spin on filter or put it back to the old annoying setup. does anyone have anything I could buy to sort my car out as I'm getting really fed up with it.

Cheers
Neil.

cavell

• usa
    • saturn vue 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 27 July 2017, 18:12:26 »

my wixx filters arrived in the mail today. got 3 for $11 delivered. i have not changed the oil on my recently repaired vue. but my kid has another vue with the 3.0 and i do that job. had it for 4-5 yrs so i have done a few. i will get to see how tight the cast cap is this weekend.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 19 queries.